Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: spud holes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 pm 
Goby

I was out 2-11-18 at 0630 fell at Huffs, fell in a 2x2 spud hole, right let up to my hip. I was out in 29 feet of water. Why to you need more than a normal 8 inch hole? A child would of went right through, use your heads, safety first for everyone. The slush and snow make it bad enough. I was out there with just a head light, hole covered up by the snow. In the last few years this is twice right up to my groin I stepped in spud holes. There is no reason a hole has to be that large. You want your kid, grand kid, some else's kid falling through. You want to hear that someone died because they fell in a spud hole. Knowing it could of been yours?

Post subject: Re: spud holes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Sorry you got wet, I'd be pissed at that. My buddy got wet last week on a 10 inch hole.

A 2x2 hole is excessive and unnecessary. Your right about other people using the bay. People must not be aware that they're responsible liable criminally and civilly for the hole they make.

Here's the Criminal Code section for those who aren't aware.

Duty to safeguard opening in ice
263 (1) Every one who makes or causes to be made an opening in ice that is open to or frequented by the public is under a legal duty to guard it in a manner that is adequate to prevent persons from falling in by accident and is adequate to warn them that the opening exists.

Excavation on land
(2) Every one who leaves an excavation on land that he owns or of which he has charge or supervision is under a legal duty to guard it in a manner that is adequate to prevent persons from falling in by accident and is adequate to warn them that the excavation exists.

Offences
(3) Every one who fails to perform a duty imposed by subsection (1) or (2) is guilty of

(a) manslaughter, if the death of any person results therefrom;

(b) an offence under section 269, if bodily harm to any person results therefrom; or

(c) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 242; 1980-81-82-83, c. 125, s. 18.

For a summary conviction you just have to leave an unmarked hole. No one has to fall in it.

Unlawfully causing bodily harm
269 Every one who unlawfully causes bodily harm to any person is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding eighteen months.

These offenses would be unnecessary if everyone exercised common sense, but we all know the answer to that.

We use to mark our old holes with a branch and owe it to other people to do it.

I'm going to start doing it again.

Thanks to making us ware.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 am 
Walleye

I've stepped into a 10" hole before that was covered in snow. I'm sure it was a hole that was made then thawed then it iced over then it snowed. Sticks & branches work until you get a thaw or a big wind or a river of water on top of the ice. Sometimes 8" holes turn into 12" holes. During this time of the year it's wise to keep in mind old holes may be opening up, use a spud, have a floatation suit on & please have one on your children also if your bringing them. Seen many dads out there fishing in a floater suit while the kid runs around in a snow suits.
Yes I agree some holes people drill you'd think they're fishing for whales but you have to protect yourself from that kind of stupidity.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 am 
Minnow

i think they make big holes so they can net the fish!crack heads!!lol what is next chain saws!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:35 am 
Minnow

Saw a guy use a chainsaw on Moira Lk last year Fished for 30 min then just left

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:28 am 
Walleye Wisdom

You better stay off some northern ice or even Simcoe for that matter, it was not uncommon to cut a hole with a chainsaw large enough for a swimming pool place a hut over it and fishing. Use to be common for a hole to be 20-30 inches wide by 2,3,4,5 or 6 feet depending on the size of the hut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drCfIF2gl-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeZo9s-78I4

Where do you think the ice auger started.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm 
Baitfish

with the new k drill seems to be easy for people to make giant clover holes, and with all the snow over the weekend they would be essentially land mines. anywhere where there is perch you have to be super aware as people use them for sight fishing, but to me they are way too dangerous.

banner ad
banner ad