Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 am 
Perch

Signed and waiting to pick up a 1875 pro guide tiller this month. Just wondering if anyone has one of these set ups, with a mercury 90hp 4s no command thrust. What prop do you guys have on and what rpms are you getting at WOT? The dealership is putting a vengeance 13x18 ss on it. Little worried it might be over propped.
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:05 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Spending lots on a SS prop and find it's not what you want is really disappointing. Prop selection is unique to what you want to do with it. The 13 pitch is at the lower third of what's available in that prop.

Hopefully someone has a similar setup and can advise you.

Would the dealer have a used prop in that pitch to try out before you commit to a new one. You could also use anything the dealer has and see where you want to go from there.

I you where thinking of a spare prop, you could get a cheap one in that pitch and if you like it get the SS. If not keep the cheap prop for a spare.

Good Luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am 
Walleye

Roblin wrote:
The 13 pitch is at the lower third of what's available in that prop.

Actually the "13" part of the ratio refers to the diameter of the prop. No such thing as an 18" dia. prop on a Merc 90.

IMHO, as I have a Merc 90 on a Lowe 175, the prop will work fine for your size boat as it's a big 18.5 foot. your prop will spin up and get the boat on plane, but top speed may be a bit lower at WOT. RPMs should be close to max rated for your motor. I'm using a 4 blade 12.5 X 19 aluminum which is working good for me on my slightly smaller boat.

Congrats and good luck with the new boat. Cheers.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:57 am 
Perch

Thanks for the input. I assume the dealer already has that prop on the boat, since I bought a 2017, that already had options put on that, galvanized trailer, fish finders, trolling motor, etc. From what I've dug up the motor should be 5000-6000 rpm at WOT, just don't have any actual numbers with that size prop. I assume I want to aim near the max rpm from the dealer, with barely any fuel in it, and gear/people. The dealer is roughly 6 hours away, so I was hoping to hear from some people that do own this setup and what they get for rpms with their props. I mentioned to the dealer when they do the PDI if they can change the prop size to achieve 5500+ rpms. Hopefully they change things up to meet my request, if they do thumbs up, if not I hope to god they'll swap the props at no cost. I'd hate for them to hit the minimum 5k with no weight in the boat.bif anyone has this set up feel free to chime in. Thanks again and good luck on the water

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:07 pm 
Walleye Master

I can't be of any help here, but I had a similar issue with my boat. I didn't know much about boats or motors when I bought it new 11 years ago. I just assumed everything was good to go. I had some work done on it 4-5 years ago at a Merc dealer and he advised me that I had the wrong prop on there because I wasn't maxing out the RPM'S to 6000. Just wondering why the manufacturer wouldn't put the right prop on to begin with??

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 pm 
Perch

Yeah really, I've heard stories of new boats being over propped brand new. I guess there's no picture perfect set up for all situations but you'd think the PDI would cover checking that your not causing potential damage to a brand new motor right off the lot. Talk about setting you up for failure.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:33 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Andrew, I think asking the dealer to provide +5500 rpm is a good idea. I also have an engine with a recommended WOT range of 5000-6000. My boat runs just over 5600 rpm WOT with a loaded boat. By myself and running on fumes, l might get 5700. You don’t want to be at the low end of the recommended WOT. The engine is working too hard at the low RPM’s and may just blow up. Hopefully, with your 90 you get close to 40 mph at 5500. Just my guess from experience. My boat is a 1775 Pro-V. BATMAN. Pet peave - So many dealers refuse to spend any time and expense to get customs the best prop for a new boat.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:35 pm 
Perch

Thanks, yeah I'll just have to play the dick customer and make sure I walk away happy.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 pm 
Walleye Master

I never did change the prop and still to this day I max out at 5000 WOT. Changing the prop to get to 6000, I would lose top end speed so I never did change. Not sure if it's hard on the motor or not, but it runs perfect and starts perfect every time after all these years.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Walleye9,
Even though you are happy with your setup, many would say you are over propped. If you have the recommended diameter correct you should consider going down at least a pitch size. If you go up in RPM you should increase your boat speed. Also, if you are changing props use a 3-blade with raked or cupped blades. This prop will provide lift and better speed. Personally, I run my boat at two speeds, idle and WOT. I am pretty sure if my engine ran at 5000 RPM it would have blown up by now.
Good luck. BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:49 pm 
Baitfish

For what it is worth, I have a Lund pro angler 18 with a 90 Mercury tiller. Prop on it when I purchased was a 13 x 19. Went to Mercury website prop selector and answered the questions and came up with a 12 3\4 x 21. Max rpm is 5750. Didn't notice a whole lot of difference between the props.Will troll down to 2mph and run all day around 37 mph at 5600 rpm. Not sure if this will help as mine is an optimax.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Batman is spot on, one thing you should do is test run the boat after you purchase it. Lund pro guides sit very flat and level in the water. You wanna prop that will give u enough lift so your not getting soaked all the time when your running. Ideally you want the water line when on plane near where you sit while running the tiller (captains chair) or just in front of it. If your spending 30-40 k they can provide you with the proper prop to achieve the max speed and lift.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:26 pm 
Perch

Thanks for the 2 cents, I'll definitely be on them. They were going to open up during their closed hours due to my work schedule and their open hours. Might just bite the bullet and take a day off for pick up. Thanks for all the info, I'd be pissed if I took it home to find out I gotta send a prop out and get a new one.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:41 pm 
Walleye Master

BATMAN wrote:
Walleye9,
Even though you are happy with your setup, many would say you are over propped. If you have the recommended diameter correct you should consider going down at least a pitch size. If you go up in RPM you should increase your boat speed. Also, if you are changing props use a 3-blade with raked or cupped blades. This prop will provide lift and better speed. Personally, I run my boat at two speeds, idle and WOT. I am pretty sure if my engine ran at 5000 RPM it would have blown up by now.
Good luck. BATMAN

Thanks BATMAN...If could get up to 6000RPM and gain top speed, I would be more than willing to change props. I'm the same as you. Idle or WOT. Very little in-between. I'll have to do a bit of research I guess. I'll probably chime back into this thread in the near future.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:17 am 
Walleye

Go to Walleyecentral.com and do a search most guys are running a 16” vengeance, 18” would be too much. I have the same boat on order as well and have done a pile of research, some seem to have good results with a spitfire too.

banner ad
banner ad