Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:14 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: New boat, pick up checks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 am 
Perch

Hey, I just got word that my dealer will be done the PDI in the next few days. He has the techs taking the boat on the water for the inspection. Just a little backstory, the dealer I'm picking my boat up from is just over 6 hours away from me. I work nights, 6 nights a week. The dealer is open mon-sat. He is going to arrange going into work Sunday to do the walk over and pickup with me during closed hours so I can get out to him. He says he will most likely not be able to do the on the water ride with me as it is 'his techs do that'. Which I am ok with, as work with CN Rail and time off is hard to come by.

Just looking for some things to check out while it's out of the water and any advice you guys have. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:36 am 
Walleye Master

Make sure it floats! Congrats on the new boat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:45 am 
Perch

Lol thanks, hard to check if it floats from out of the water haha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:51 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Always great to get a new boat.

Good for you.

If you haven't registered your boat yet and the dealer is doing it online, make sure he has your correct email address.

I didn't write my address down and the dealer entered one letter wrong. Took two months and a couple of phone calls to sort that out.

Your dealer will probably have most things covered. They will have your lines, bumpers and safety kit. If your boat comes with a Kidd fire extinguisher there may be a recall on that.

You can sort that out online and Kidd will send you a new one.

Some boats come with touch-up paint. Missed mine, still waiting for it.

If your motor is a Yamaha, the first oil change is 10 hrs. You might want to pick up an oil change kit. The kit is actually a good deal considering the drain bolt washer is $8.00 and included in the kit.

If your thinking of a spare prop., you can probably get a better price at your dealer. Spare set of plugs. Some are unique and not easy to find at CTC.

Your complementary floating key fob and hat.

Maybe walk around your boat a couple of times and envision using everything you see. You'll probably come up with questions doing that.

Hope that helps.

Try to keep your eyes on the road and not the mirror. (impossible)

Enjoy your day.

Last edited by Roblin on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am 
Goby

Andrew
Congratulation on new boat always exciting no matter how big or small. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents to help you get peace of mind on any big purchase. I didn't see you mention the trailer if you plan on using any time fall - spring highly suggest galvanized trailer for road salt/sand damage to trailer. One of the things I did on my purchase was take pictures inside & out on final inspection. That way you can always refer back to pictures if any questions arise after you get it home. Hope you are successful fishing or relaxing with your new boat sounds like you need a little more time off to wet a line. Good luck be safe & have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:52 am 
Walleye

just a few tips. Check every hatch make sure there is no rubbing on the edges. check every hinge check to make sure all the screws are there and tight. Take a tape measure, make sure all things are square. check all seams, gaps, spacing, are all uniform. check motor mounts, check any welds check all electronics. check battery compartments. crawl underneath inspect. you are most likely spending a few bucks and hope to have this for a while take your time go over every inch. also do the same with the trailer. make sure axle is square on the frame. all lights work check all grounds. Look for any signs of rust take your time as the tech gets paid for his time. there is no such thing as Overkill !!!

regards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:23 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Going through the same thing as you at the moment. I have a new proV in the shop being built. I created an excel spreadsheet with ALL things i talked about with the salesman including any extras i wanted to see on the boat or look over at pickup time. I input all wiring expectations such as house/starter battery hookups for electronics (downriggers/FF wired to specific batteries if applicable). I will use this as a checklist when i actually pick up the boat. Might be a good idea to create/print out.

I would also inspect the gauges all work. These are usually a problem on boats, also test all electronics are working as expected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:10 pm 
Minnow

Make sure it comes with a spare tire. When I bought my boat a few years ago I didn't even think to ask because I thought it was standard. When I got home I realized there was no spare and had to order it separately.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:28 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Andrew, It sounds like your excitement to pick up your new boat is getting the best of you. It might worth begging you boss to let you take off a day during the week. The on water test will let you check the boat performance you were concerned about. You can check livewells, bait well, bilge pump, lights, radio, trailer lights, electronics, trolling motor etc. Also the Tech could give you tips on operation of boat. Also, a Sunday is not so great if all the boat and trailer paperwork is not perfect. Remember, if there are any problems when you get home, you have a 12 hour return trip to sort out a problem. Whatever you end up doing, good luck. BATMAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 pm 
Perch

Thanks for the tips guys, yeah the package has a galvanized trailer already tacked on which is a bonus. Didn't even think about checking boxes for squareness but it's definitely be a pain if the carpeting started to break down from all the rubbing. I am very tempted to take a vacation day to do the on the water with a tech. That way I can talk to someone that's knowledgable rather than just a salesperson about break in etc and the many dumb questions I'll have. Thinking about making a question list, always find I have more questions the second I leave after buying anything. But being new to CN I just got enough vacation to take just under 2 weeks off, and I'm trying to save those for when my woman pops. Thanks again guys our area has a great fishing community thumbs up to all the fishermen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:03 am 
Walleye Master

I think it would be well worth it for peace of mind to take a day off and go with a tech. Congrats on the new boat and more importantly that little one on the way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:30 am 
Site Admin

So much good advice. It it were me I would write out a checklist and USE it. Easy to get distracted when picking up a new toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:44 pm 
Perch

Picking up sat! Got a big ol' list ready, thanks again guys

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:47 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hi Andrew:

The Guys have covered it all, and YOU took the words out of our mouth with your last comment!

This is a HUGE inve$tment. It definitely demands a Day Off to ensure everything works, you will pick up great additional info from the Techie, AND receive priceless Peace Of Mind.

We're greatly relieved to see you're gonna "do it right".

Congrats, and have a wonderful time this Summer.

Rgds, Wordpecker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:44 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Andrew,
You guys remind me of my first purchase of a Lund boat. I picked my new Lund 1775 Pro-V Deluxe 21 years ago after purchasing it at the Toronto sportsman show in 1996. The boat is still going strong. There really weren’t many Internet forums to discuss a purchase back then. Maybe my next boat will be discussed online. BATMAN

banner ad