Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 am 
Walleye Angler

I was in Canadian Tire and found the lowrance Hook 5 fish finder on special for $429. I'm looking to upgrade the new boat from the dealer installed one also a lowrance hook 3. My question is the Hook 5 says it has us/can maps installed. Will it have the Bay of Quinte? I have looked at several ads but no luck. The sales guy says he thinks it does but to be sure I can buy the navionics kit for another $249 and a card is extra. The chirp, sonar and gps is all new as I'm used to my 30yr old Hummingbird 100 portable.. Any advice would be great, thanks Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:15 am 
Site Admin

I can't answer that question but the folks at Radioworld can. I have included a link to their page and if you scroll down to the hook units you will see they are on sale [url]
https://radioworld.ca/category/Z-MAR-CS ... 2&limit=48[/url]

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

thanks Dan

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

You can probably buy a used Lowrance HDS 5 or 7 Gen 2 for less money and have 3times the unit. The other day I saw a 7 and a 5 with the side imaging box and transducer complete with network cables for $600

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:39 pm 
Walleye Master

If you can make it down to the Toronto sportsman show this weekend, Radioworld has a booth setup there. I bought a discontinued (New in box) Humminbird unit a few years ago there. Regular $950 and got it on sale for $550 or something close to that.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Walleyeone,
First question, is the unit you are looking at the old model Hook 5 or the newest Hook2 5. When I say old model, I mean last years model. New models ar always faster and have latest function.
You will need to add a Navionics or another brand lake chip to get the detailed charts of the Bay of Quinte.
Hook 5 is Lowrances entry level fishfider/chartrecorder. It is good value considering it includes high chirp technology.
Good Luck.. BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:39 am 
Walleye Angler

I believe it is last years model. I know very little about the new units and basically looking at a newer easy to use finder with the map feature so if I ever find the honey hole ill be able to go right back.. I'm told the hook 3 on the boat is an entry level unit and is installed at the factory so its wired hard wired in so the transducer cable is hard to remove. Ive also been told the cables and transducer would need to be replaced if using a more advanced unit so now I'm open to all brands that would work. Basically I fish walleye and troll...I did put the navionics app on my phone so I'm going to use that as well. Thanks for all the input guys its much appreciated by the rookie..

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:14 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Walleyone, Do you have a deep sounder on the front of your boat. Does your boat have a bow trolling motor? Not sure if you are up to rewriring your boat, but you could upgrade your console unit to the Hook 5. Then move the Hook 3 to the bow of the boat. The Hook 3 transducer would need to be upgraded to a trolling motor style. I’m a bit handier than some. I installed three Lowrance HDS units and the Nema 2000 and Ethernet networks that allow all three displays to see my Etec outboard parameters, and controls my bow trolling motor. I also have a large IPad display mounted that uses Bluetooth and Wifi connections. I have structurescan but not the Chirp transducer you would have. Maybe I will upgrade my bow transducer to a Chirp transducer. That said, you could take on your project with some guidance. BATMAN (Kingston)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:35 pm 
Walleye

I bought my Hook 5 last year onsale from Radio World for $429.99(reg $679.99)which included Navionics Plus . Are you sure the card isn't included?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'm not sure if the card is included but I was going to use the hook3 on the trolling motor on the front. I'm handy so I'm sure I can fish the wire through the boat just not up to speed on the operation of the electronics.. I'll do some checking and see about the card and go from there, thanks again

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:16 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Walleyeone: if your quote - "basically looking at a newer easy to use finder" is the Key Phrase in this query, we'll relate our experience from last Fall.

Our new boat came with a Humminbird 5 incher, and we've always been a Lowrance user. So we began looking for alternatives, and ended up with a "Hook 9" with split screen Finder/GPS, and other tech stuff that will be handy down the road.

Bottom line, comparing the two units, (forget about size - we're old and the eyes need bigger pictures 'n type), is simple: the 'Birds' have VERY tiny type AND buttons, roughly half the size of the 'Hook' units. PLUS... the Hooks' use roughly HALF the number of buttons to do the same job. For ease of operation: in our opinion, the Hook is MUCH easier, and ready to go right out of the box.

Final thought: you'll find Lawren at RadioWorld incredibly helpful with questions and suggestions. Call him, or email, and your answers will be back in a blink... except on weekends. Seriously; and their prices are as good as you'll find anywhere, or usually they match price.

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:58 pm 
Walleye

I have a related but separate question...I thought I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Is $180 a good price for a Lowrance Hook 3x all-season pack? This one comes with both open water and ice transducers and battery/charger, carrying bag etc. Apparently barely used

banner ad
banner ad