Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 am 
Perch

A little story of the first taste of open water trout.

Just got the new boat Saturday, after a long 5 hour drive each way. I watched the open water on Lake Ontario both ways and came home to a lake full of ice. After researching and viewing satellite images, a buddy and I decide to work on the boat, then go hit some potential launches. We hit up crappy tire for some locks and other miscellaneous things to put on the brand new boat. Finding the best spots to drill and lock the trolling motor down, and setting up the various things that came with Lund's pro track system. Finally we finished with the chores and hit the road in search of a open launches to get the 90 horse mercury motor broken in. After each launch, and facing a mere 20 feet of ice holding us back from launching my will was put to the test as we checked 5 launches in total. All with open water just beyond our reach, and no tools to challenge it. Aside from contemplating of walking out on the semi thin ice and breaking it up to be pushed out, we had no choice but to give mother nature the win. Through my online searching, I knew there was another possibility a little longer of a drive from us, so we planned to take off monday morning after working all night Sunday. 6:00 Am rolls up on us in a hurry, but by then we were on the road with fingers crossed. We pass by a small lake that connects to Lake Ontario through a small channel. With the disbelief on our faces, the lake was covered in a bright white layer of snow. We continued forward, determined that the launch between this lake and Lake Ontario was our only chance to get out, aside from traveling many more miles before working again Monday night. As we pulled into the street the launch is on we can see open water, thanking the fishing gods, we drive down the street with more excitement than my little boy on Christmas day. As we begin down the hill to the launch we are welcomed by a mound of snow and dirt that was left behind from a plow. So solid and concrete-like that there was no possible way of getting past. Just 6 feet away we stare at the open bay, and the channel leading straight into the blue landscape we thirsted for...

Across the small bay, we noticed another boat launch with numerous signs that were unreadable from this distance. Again a sign of hope, we travelled down the road, and turned onto a pothole ridden, unpaved path. At the end we drove past signs that read boat launch and parking. We arrived to what seemed to be a ever-changing destination. I quickly turn and begin backing up the boat to the launch. Turning the key to the 4 stroke was all the more satisfying, like turning the key to my first car. K-k-k vroom, the motor turns over, and quickly settles down to a near cat like pur. We let it warm up for just short of 10 minutes. Clunk, the first time this boat has ever seen reverse, my buddy quickly parks the trailer and vehicle, and jumps in the boat. We are off, idling ever so quietly, down the channel. Eyes and looks from a few two legged land walkers look onto us with disbelief. I flip the latch on the beautiful 9 inch helix, pop the navionics chip in, and boot up the finder for the first time. The anticipation of fishing on one of our favourite lakes crushed us as we both knew a 2 hour break-in was the only thing holding us back from getting our lines wet. The first hour consisted of running various rpms up to 3500 rpms, while the second a bit more exciting running the same program up to 4500 rpms, with a few tastes of wide open for 1 minute at 10 minute intervals. The boat roared, as I put it into full throttle, flying across small waves at 35mph. The terrifying experience of moving so quickly on-top of 33 degree water confirmed the reason I had put the kill switch lanyard on before opening up. The boat felt solid, the air ice cold, bundled to the nine we pushed through the next hour as I played with the trim, looking for that sweet spot, holding 39.5mph steady.

Finally we arrived at our potential fishing area for the first time ever. We didn't know if it would yield any fish, but we knew we were ready to test it. We prepared our rods as we patrolled the area with the fish finder, getting accustomed to the layout, looking for potential fish and bait. We zigged and zagged between skinny and deep water, eyes glued to the finder. Up and down both sides of a island, we saw the potential of an amazing spot we would have to return to. A shoal with big stair-like steps, changing from one depth to the next before rising above the water. After deciding the targetted depth we toss our lines in, on the first pass that was quickest to reach based off the boat's current position. We finished the short pass, with the wind being strong enough that we couldnt hear the motor purring on the lowest idle possible using the rpm adjuster. We prepare for the more promising second pass, on the wind blown side of the small island. We begin the pass, I decide to try a different speed, ramping up to 2.5mph to challenge the wind. My buddy says out loud "this feels like a really good pass", not much after saying so, with a slow sweep of the rod, a fish hits, and the fight is on. I quickly bring the motor into neutral, his 10ft trolling rod bent over, and the satisfying click click click as he reels the fish in. "It feels heavy", thinking this fish could be the lake trout we planned on targetting, I quickly grab the net. "25 feet of line left" he says in a panic, I tell him "there's no rush, just take it easy, he's hooked good" as the fish turns and gets facing downward, we see a giant tail break the surface, swinging to dig itself into the depths. He brings the fish in closer, a giant Laker in our eyes, the anticipation of landing our largest Laker strikes us. 10 feet, 7 feet, 5 feet, it's head nears the boat, I scoop low, but the fish's head thrashes to just right of the net's opening. Without much thought I scoop deep, hoping to hit the broadside target with my small net. The fish's body folds as I scoop upwards, pulling the massive body into the rim of the net. We frantically search for pliers, as the fish was pinned so well that it would of taken a broken line for him to get away. We quickly get the fish into the water while looking for a scale and phone for some pictures. With one more heave of the net, we lift the fish into the boat again, weighing the fish in the net, after a unsteady fluctuation of the scale it reads 16.5 lbs and some change. We take a couple pictures, and a few more during the release, then we weigh the net after some celebrations of the year's first soft water lake trout. 1.5lbs, the 15lbs fish officially broke our best Laker to date, 9lbs being the previous best. We fish for a couple hours more, but no more bites, we pack up and ready ourselves for a ride back continuing the less restrictive break-in process on the way back to the launch.

I'm looking for people with experience fishing open water for Lakers and willing to part with some info, no specific locations needed. The conditions of our hookup were water temps between 33f and 34f, we were fishing 20ft and less, Hooked up in about 14-15ft. We were fishing over hard bottom. We saw a few potential marks amongst the bottom, assuming they were right to the bottom on-top/behind large stones and humps, if they were fish at all. We have been fishing Lakers for a couple years, our success and intuition growing with our experience targetting these fish. We don't really know what we should be targetting at these temps, or if this fish was just a fluke. Thanks for reading the story, thanks in advance for your input, and good luck on the water.

Last edited by Andrew1127 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:27 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Morning Andrew1127,

At the beginning, I thought your adventure was headed to some unfortunate ending at the boat ramp.

Glad you had a great day with your new boat. I hope I have an adventure like that soon.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Wicklow launch was open last Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

quite the post, I bought a new boat last year with the same motor works great cant believe how good on fuel it is and quiet for the size of it. Cant help u out with Laker advice though enjoy the merc its a good working motor...,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:07 pm 
Walleye

Great post. Didn't get any work done 10 mins. Thanks for the breather

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Andrew,
Yes, quite a post. Just print it off, slap some book covers on it. Your first novel. Just a warning about going out early. There is so much floating debris. One year a buddy of mine hit a floating barn door. Didn’t work out very well for him or his boat. Take your time and go slow. You won’t be sorry. BATMAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:23 pm 
Perch

Thanks, great boat, great motor. Ill definitely be careful, was just trying to break the bad boy in based off merc's manual. If anyone has any experience fishing Lakers this early/cold chime in. Again not looking for spots, more of a general what kind of things we should be targetting or depths you guys check

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:49 pm 
Walleye Master

Great story, congrats on getting out.

I target 15-65fow in the spring with baits half way down in water column to right on bottom. I troll spoons and cranks like reef runners, husky jerks and bay rats this year( thanks Stacy lol)

Speed is usually 1.8-2.2, just enough to get the spoon wobbling.

Rocky bottom is great, and I usually don’t mark much at all when I’m catching.

I usually do the best on rocky flats that have access to deeper water or sharp drop offs.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:03 pm 
Perch

Thanks for the tip off, sounds like I was in the right area, we were close to a drop into 30s that stepped down into the 60s-100+. Are you usually on suspended fish or bottom guys that are less likely to be marked? I know one year on opeongo in early May we were on them 30-40 feet down over 100+ fow, but that was also later in the year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:06 pm 
Walleye Master

I’m not sure if the majority suspend or if they come off bottom. Have caught lots off a rigger down 20-30 ft over 30-60 fow. I’d assume they’re suspending but without marks it’s hard to say for sure. The water is gin clear when it’s cold and you can see bottom very clearly in 40+ fow so no reason they can’t pick a spoon up from 20 feet below.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 am 
Perch

Are you marking any bait at all? Alrighty thanks for the info, I don't know if I should focus on finding fish or just drop lines and start trolling potential areas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 am 
Walleye Master

Andrew1127 wrote:
Are you marking any bait at all? Alrighty thanks for the info, I don't know if I should focus on finding fish or just drop lines and start trolling potential areas.

I almost never mark bait where I am fishing for lakers in the early spring.

I look for areas like I outlined above and fish.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:58 am 
Perch

Alright thanks the advice, good luck on the water this year

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 am 
Walleye Master

Post some pics of that PB and my personal dream boat, please.....You must be a very happy man Andrew... I'm not sure why dealers are not promoting the benefits of a tiller or this beautiful boat. If you ever need a fishing friend for lakers, I'm from Frankford... I have my own boat with a Honda and may be able to help you get into muskies in Nov-Dec 15th.. Randy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 pm 
Perch

Forums isn't a fan of the pic size

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad