Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 pm 
Walleye

Thats one opinion but I hope its not your riggers We fish a lot like every day during the season every year our best day was 42 Kings Its what ever works for you. In our expeeriance and that is a lot the value of braid far outweighs cable. Fleas change season to season day to day somtimes in hours. To say fleas bogged down a rigger because it had braid is nonsense\. if the fleas are bad they can make a real mess no matter what you run. But I know I can simply run the ball up with my hand over the braid and they fall off. or I can run it up till they ball up snap the braid a couple times good and hard they come off. Now try that with cable DO NOT run cable through your hands one strand broken and you are going to the hospital for a tetanus shot (speaking from experiance) I have lost hundreds no well over a no maybe a couple thousand $ $$ well if my wife ever found those receipts for new probs sharks and rigging in gear because of cables braking I wouldn't be able to share this. We run Scottys and Big Jon 1100s with Scotty booms never had any problem winding them in that we couldn't handle pulling braid. Cable thats a old nightmare I will not go back to. Ever see what happens to cable if the ball hits bottom and you run her down > Yikes oh boy!!!!!! Thats a mess. Remember you are falling off 4 ft waves your doubled Tripled or Quaded up You have no time for cable kinks. Just get those big Girls in the net and get that *** back in the water. Good vLuck mate Ill look for a couple swivel bases for you in one of a lot of boxes of stuff I don't use any more. What kind of riggers do you have? PMme

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 pm 
Walleye Master

One thing I’ve learned over the years is what you have confidence in is usually the best thing to run.

For what it’s worth I run cable on Scotty’s, not saying it is the be all end all but it works for me. Yes you have to watch for kinks but I get about one a year, they are easy to avoid and easy to cut out when you get them.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 am 
Walleye

R
Walleye

Thats one opinion but I hope its not your riggers We fish a lot like every day during the season every year our best day was 42 Kings Its what ever works for you. In our expeeriance and that is a lot the value of braid far outweighs cable. Fleas change season to season day to day somtimes in hours. To say fleas bogged down a rigger because it had braid is nonsense\. if the fleas are bad they can make a real mess no matter what you run. But I know I can simply run the ball up with my hand over the braid and they fall off. or I can run it up till they ball up snap the braid a couple times good and hard they come off. Now try that with cable DO NOT run cable through your hands one strand broken and you are going to the hospital for a tetanus shot (speaking from experiance) I have lost hundreds no well over a no maybe a couple thousand $ $$ well if my wife ever found those receipts for new probs sharks and rigging in gear because of cables braking I wouldn't be able to share this. We run Scottys and Big Jon 1100s with Scotty booms never had any problem winding them in that we couldn't handle pulling braid. Cable thats a old nightmare I will not go back to. Ever see what happens to cable if the ball hits bottom and you run her down > Yikes oh boy!!!!!! Thats a mess. Remember you are falling off 4 ft waves your doubled Tripled or Quaded up You have no time for cable kinks. Just get those big Girls in the net and get that *** back in the water. Good vLuck mate Ill look for a couple swivel bases for you in one of a lot of boxes of stuff I don't use any more. What kind of riggers do you have? PMme

20 Honda Kicker
Fish Hawk X4
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:48 am 
Walleye

Walleye

20 Honda Kicker
Fish Hawk X4
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

I only have a 16ft bowrider.
It came with Big Jon captain pack riggers on both rear corners of the boat.
They are on Swivel mounts and those are essential. I can run them out wider and then Spin them back straight when I dock the boat.
The riggers both have dual rod holders. One rod has a rigger rod in it, the other I angle out a bit and stick my dipsy Rod in it.
I have one wire dipsy roller rod set up (Okuma), The other is a braid Dipsy rod.
I've caught fish on all rods.
Oh Yes I also always run cheaters on my rigger lines.
I'd like to upgrade to a Superfisherman or Super Pro, But I'm waiting for the OLG to pick my numbers for once.
I'm really getting ready for Spring now!
Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 am 
Walleye Master

Ok. Landshark. here goes. I use stainless down rigger cables and always will. I have had buddies go to the Scotty braid and there catch numbers dropped dramatically. They are now back using steel. As for kinks that is matter of maintenance. The first weight I dropped was in 1987 and unfortunately it had a Fish Hawk probe attached to it. Since 1987 I have never broke off a steel cable on my boat. However we broke off a weight on the tournament boat during the ATOMMIK Invitational in Oswego last summer, so that is number 2 for me. 2 in 41 years isn't too bad considering the number of hours spent on the water.
If you wander around the docks checking out boats during a tournament event in either Ontario or New York you will find 99% steel cables. Reason being most tournament boats run voltage control black boxes. Most boats with dissimilar metals in the water will produce a voltage. Controlling this voltage is essential to filling the coolers with kings. For more info on this subject go to the Scotty website.
i have used Klinchers for 20 years to isolate the steel cable from the lead weight. I change the probe Klincher every season and the others every 2 seasons. I install new cables every 5 or 6 years.
I am surprised the subject of braid versus wire on the diver rods didn't come up but I will give you my opinion anyway. While pre-fishing a tournament we will run 2 braid diver and 2 wire divers. Which ever set up works the best pre-fishing hits the water during tournament day. I prefer wire but some members of the team prefer braid. Make sure your diver rods are long enough so the tips are a good distance outside your rigger wires. With my boat voltage at zero m
my diver rods are producing .365 of a volt. With braid it would be zero.

Hope this helps
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 am 
Walleye Master

I completely agree Al. That's why I was curious to his most pros run braid comment. The truth is the best of the best on the lake understand the electrical advantage of wire and use it to their advantage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:19 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Wow, that’s a lot of learning in one post! Do manuals also emit voltage, or is it only for electric? (I run manuals).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:42 am 
Walleye Master

I don't believe you have to worry about manual riggers as they are not tied into the boat batteries and electrical system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:22 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks, I was wondering after he said that there was voltage on the wire diver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:16 am 
Walleye Master

Chewy, your manuals will produce voltage.

Here is the reason why. When you put 2 dissimulator metals into an electrolyte you have created a battery.
The electrolyte is the body of water (Lake O) in this case. If it were pure like distilled water no problem.
BUT it has impurities in it making an electrolyte.
The dissimilar metals are the stainless steel cables and the aluminum alloy of the lower unit.
Easy way to test the boat voltage is with a volt meter. Negative lead on the negative post of the battery and
positive lead on rigger cable when riggers are down in the water.
If voltage is below .6 of a volt you're OK. If higher I would be looking for problems.
I have tested and fixed over a dozen boats over the years. Turned dismal efforts into fish catching machines.
The easy way to neutralize the voltage is run ground wires from battery with alligator clips and attach them to
the rigger cables. I know a few guys that have done that.

A black box is the last piece of the puzzle and you can probably spend money in better ways.

One way to eliminate most problems is install braid on your riggers.
We don't because we like to control voltage at different times of the day.
Secondly when we turn the black box on the first numbers we see on the screen is actual base boat voltage.
If we see high numbers we have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Hope this helps,
Al

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:00 am 
Walleye Angler

So even if a boat was producing say 0.75 volts what effect would this have on a lure on a monofilament line a hundred or more feet behind the boat. If it did have an effect couldn't other boats in the pack effect it as much or more. I sometimes think we try to over complicate things.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:44 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Horsehunter fish are extremely sensitive to electricity and change in the water. That being said in your case if your boat is emitting to much of a electrical charge into the water, those fish can spook easily. That being said it may not effect a fish running 100’ behind a ball but keep in mind you do have troll over those fish to find them. If 1 in 4 fish come out of nowhere and hit your lure 100’ behind a ball, how many fish did you drive over and spook that could have increased your catch rates. All this comes into play when money is on the line. Here is the Scotty black box link have a read.
https://scotty.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ooklet.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Al, thanks for that explanation! That’s the clearest that it’s been explained and now I (think) I understand!

I will test it when I get it in the water next. I think that with the amount I will be out on the big water, it won’t be worth purchasing a black box, but it would be nice to know what I am sending down on my riggers and see if I have any electrical issues....

Thanks again for the advice!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:53 am 
Walleye Master

horsehunter wrote:
So even if a boat was producing say 0.75 volts what effect would this have on a lure on a monofilament line a hundred or more feet behind the boat. If it did have an effect couldn't other boats in the pack effect it as much or more. I sometimes think we try to over complicate things.

Frank, originally the experts thought that the ion dissipation would only affect fish 30 feet behind the trolling weight. Now they believe that it could be up to 200 feet. Like I said " it is the last piece of the puzzle."

I know of 1 particular boat that only caught 1 salmon and 3 bows in an entire season. After testing the voltage on each rigger, I knew the reason why. The voltage on 1 rigger was 1.95 and on the other was 2.15. I checked anodes on the boat and lower unit and they were in good shape, but the owner changed them anyway as a precaution. Re-tested and voltage was the same. It was head scratching time. I ohm tested all engine and internal boat grounds. They were OK. We ran the boat with all electronics off and again with all electronics disconnected. The voltage tests were the same.
With the riggers down at trolling depth, I disconnected the power wires to the riggers and voltages on the cables were normal at .35 of a volt. Really, disconnecting the rigger power wires should not have made a difference.
These were Cannon Short Stop riggers. Here is how they work. When you hit the up switch, the rigger induces a current of 7.5 volts from the rigger thru the water to the ground plane of the boat. When the weight breaks the surface of the water, the circuit is broken and the rigger shuts off. We called Gagnon Sports in Oshawa who were the closest Cannon dealer. They got back to us the next day. Apparently there was a problem with the short stop boards. The motherboard was OK but the short stop board had to be replaced. Warranty was over and at $165.00 each, he sold the riggers and bought new ones.

Problem solved
Al