Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Many of you know that this area had been fortunate to have Brown trout stocked here. The stocking program has been running for a number of years now. Those in the the MNR who make decisions have been asking about the success of the program. Unlike the walleye fishery where they have crews to do creel surveys (those folks who pull up to you on the water and ask questions like what species are you after?, how many caught? What size? How many hours have you been fishing? and where you from?) there is no data. To help give them sense of the brown trout fishery please post your creel data to this thread. They do monitor the site and your info will be helpful. I will sticky this for a while. Many thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:23 am 
Walleye Master

Many of you know that for many years, I have been an advocate of changing the MNRF stocking locations of brown trout. I believe, we are in a good place now, after creating 4 drive to fisheries on the Ontario side of Lake O. Athol Bay is one of the 4 locations, receiving 40,000 or more advanced yearlings each spring, weighing an average of 45 grams.

We don't want to know your secret lure, depth of water, speed, etc. Just number & size of browns would be really helpful.
If you have time pics would be great & also number of lines and hours fished. The members of the Central Lake Ontario Sport Anglers would like to see stocking remain in the area. MNRF staff do check out this board. Hell, they even have a Facebook page.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:34 am 
Walleye Angler

Besides Athol Bay where are the other stocking sites?
I also understand that there is some sort of hatchery in the park on the Napanee R. can any one tell me what is raised there and by who?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:16 pm 
Walleye Master

horsehunter wrote:
Besides Athol Bay where are the other stocking sites?
I also understand that there is some sort of hatchery in the park on the Napanee R. can any one tell me what is raised there and by who?

1) St. Catharines
2 ) alternate years - Bronte and Hamilton
2) alternate years - Port Credit and Humber Bay.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 am 
Walleye

The Napanee hatchery raises around 50,000 fall fingerling brown trout that are stocked around bath and amherst island.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:27 am 
Walleye Angler

ut_falcon wrote:
The Napanee hatchery raises around 50,000 fall fingerling brown trout that are stocked around bath and amherst island.

Thank you
How long have they been doing this and are they seeing returns. What size would these be when stocked? I'm assuming it would take 3 or 4 years to enter the fishery.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:30 pm 
Walleye Master

Hopefully soon the brown stocking really makes for a great fishery. All of these people and programs should be commended. I was able to get out 3 days last week and managed 45 browns, and a couple Lakers. Our water temp was 38-40

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:31 am 
Walleye Wisdom

TheLandshark wrote:
Hopefully soon the brown stocking really makes for a great fishery. All of these people and programs should be commended. I was able to get out 3 days last week and managed 45 browns, and a couple Lakers. Our water temp was 38-40

Told Glenn (MNR driver) that he should just drive his truck over to Oswego and we can save the fish a trip swimming across.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:16 pm 
Baitfish

I caught one 4 years ago in the shannonville river. Female aprox 3.5lbs a week after christmas. I saw a few in port hope chasing the salmon las season as well

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:11 pm 
Walleye

April 9th.... 5 hrs of fishing with 2 lines and no fish. Fished West Point into Athol Bay... water temps 34 f in 5-10'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:26 pm 
Walleye

April 13th..... decided to give it another try before the great weather weekend we got coming!!! Fished 4 hrs ,2 lines and nothing! Water temps still cold at 35-36.... found 37 f water on the south side of West Point for a brief time. Now wait for the freezing rain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Fished 3 miles west of Wellington. 2 rods, 12-18 FOW. Water temps were 38-44°. No fish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:19 am 
Walleye Master

Grizz and I got out Sunday April 22nd for a shake down cruise in his boat.
Best green water looked to be west of Wellington. At 10 we started trolling west out of the channel.
We doubled in some great looking stained water. Chuck got broke off and I boated a very nice brown
that was 71 cms and 6.4 lbs. Trolled thru that green water again and then trolled back to Wellington.
Best weather so far this spring. Best temp was 42 F.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:14 am 
Walleye

Fished 7 hrs. Had one Brown on in 8ft of water at 2pm on a bomber long A. A nice fat jumper that got off before I got the net on him. This was my fourth trip and only 2 Browns. 4 other Kayak fishermen out with me and I had the only action of the day. A much slower start then last year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:27 am 
Walleye

April 25.... was out for 4 hours with 4 lines in. Had motor issues so trolled between Wellington and West Point. Lost one fish in front of the harbour on a barbie rippling red fin. Water was so clear we actually seen a total of 8 fish swimming by the boat in 6-8' of water. Best water was at the harbour at 45.