Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:05 pm 
Guppy

Hi all,

New poster here, came all the way over from Fish-Hawk :) so if you want tips or tricks from the Rideau or the Larry, ask away.

For the past few years (Spring) i've come up to Picton and done various charters (Merland Park, PB&J), and want to try my luck on my own. We've never really had difficulty finding the Walleye, except 2 years ago when NOTHING was biting.

The guys from Merland park said there are Brown trout in the area in the spring and i'm just curious if anyone can pass on some general locations? I saw another post that said Athol Bay, near the Sandbanks, but i'm just curious if there are any closer to Deseronto, where we will be launching.

Thanks

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:10 pm 
Walleye Master

Welcome to the Board Scott,

The main stocking site in the area is in Athol Bay. There is a volunteer club stocking in the North Channel around Bath.
I do not know any anglers that target them there. I do know there is the odd incidental catch in Quinte when fishing walleye.

However Athol Bay would be the area that I am more familiar with. Launch from Wellington and either fish in front of the harbour or run to Athol Bay and fish them at West Point or in front of Outlet River. My 2 favorite places.
Early season body baits like Rippling Red-fins or Rapalas are good choices from early march until late April. 4 to 12 fow.
As we get into May, the browns start to move offshore and I change to spoons and crank the speed up. My choice of spoons are Michigan Stingrays and Warriors. 15 to 45 fow.

In mid May, the Lake trout start to move inshore as the alewives move in to spawn. That is usually when I quit targeting browns and then I wait until late June when the greasers are gone. During June and early July, browns can be targeted in the 53 to 59 degree close to structure. Most guys don't angle for them then because they are targeting salmon. The old rule of thumb is that a brown will never move more than a mile off shore as long as there is temperature and forage there.

Hope this helps,
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:54 pm 
Guppy

Oh that’s beauty, thank you so much!

Wish me luck mid May!

Actually I’m hoping to get out late April around Amherst island.

Again first try. Fingers crossed

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:39 am 
Walleye Angler

Great Post thanks very much, will be giving it a try with the new boat and my fishing buddy upon arrival soon...

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:57 pm 
Walleye Master

23 ft waves possible on the east shore of Ontario tomorrow. I might have to go take video and pics

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Aboard bsc2000! always nice to see some hawk members drop by once in a while.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:30 am 
Jumbo Perch

I am not going to try and top al's post bc he told me everything i no today !!! but just wanted to give some more tips colder water slower i troll we run alot of lines off planner boards to get lines away from the boat we run leads from 80 feet to 130 feet behind the boards to keep spoons or cranks from hitting bottom bc u will be fishing 3 to 18 fow. Also try and find warmest water in the spring and if there is drity water run the edge of it 1/2 lines in it and 1/2 lines in clear water
Good luck let us no if u find them

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:54 am 
Walleye Master

We average a speed of 2-2.2 but have hit many fish a lot faster even in this cold water. We make turns sometimes 4mph and even hit fish on our outside boards that are cruising. If you use light spoons add a small splitshilot to keep them from water skiing. Also if you are using spoons let them out under tension so you don't bang them on the bottom

banner ad
banner ad