Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 am 
Walleye Catcher

nothing was neglected. I had confirmation from marine and cisco directly for this model that it would work. but this is off topic. Looking for anyone in the area that might have done this type of work before.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:50 pm 
Guppy

I had some 3/4 plywood kicking around when I mounted my downriggers on my Lund 1750.
I just cut it to width but made them longer to take the pressure off. Bought longer fasteners and large outer diameter washers.
Worked out great .. no flex no issues.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:38 pm 
Walleye

Can you take the boat to a metal fabricator or trailer manufacturer near you? They might be able to fabricate something out of heavy aluminum bar stock to strengthen or brace it in the space under the gunnel...I think this is what you are looking to do, rather than brace across your cockpit from one gunnel to the other as others have suggested?

I have an 18 foot Mr. Pike with the wide gunnels. I have tracks mounted on top, but these I use only for rod holders, although I can mount downriggers in the track at the very corner of the gunnel and the transom. Because they are in the corner, and strengthened with the transom, there is no flex.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 pm 
Walleye Master

How long are the rigger arms? You mentioned you had 16# balls and you may simply be creating too much torque and you might want to consider using lighter balls. If you are hellbent on keeping the 16#ers, and are running them 90 degrees out the sides, turning them in closer would distribute the force down the length of the gunwale as opposed to straight across resulting in less flexing.
A picture might help everyone to understand your set-up better as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Here are some pics / vid. The vid i put very little pressue on the rigger arms, maybe 10 lbs tops

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bnlhmy41dm2z ... .jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/04cdvdpqs6mcv ... .jpeg?dl=0

vid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5k4xzs27ixdf ... 4.MOV?dl=0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm 
Walleye

I see what your saying. That would be most uncomfortable watching that action on a lumpy day.

The rails you are using seem to be narrower than the ones I have, (Trojan Tackle) and the backing board I put under the gunnel was as wide as the gunnel.
I still think a metal fabricator can help you spread the stress across the whole width of the gunnel.
Have you contacted Lund and shown them these pics and video? What does the dealer have to say?
Take the boat, and riggers to someone in your area who can help. It might cost you a little, but it will give you peace of mind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm 
Walleye Catcher

tomfoolery wrote:
I see what your saying. That would be most uncomfortable watching that action on a lumpy day.

The rails you are using seem to be narrower than the ones I have, (Trojan Tackle) and the backing board I put under the gunnel was as wide as the gunnel.
I still think a metal fabricator can help you spread the stress across the whole width of the gunnel.
Have you contacted Lund and shown them these pics and video? What does the dealer have to say?
Take the boat, and riggers to someone in your area who can help. It might cost you a little, but it will give you peace of mind.

These are cisco rails and are pretty solid. The weird thing is the backing board 3/4" (just measured it) doesn't span the entire gunwale, just the center, so it flexes on each side near the rail.. wtf. I wouldn't expect to see this on this caliber of a series. The problem is, you can't contact lund, they don't have a support line/center that i can find. There used to be an email address, but it just went to a receptionist, now its gone.

I did reach out to Bellevue fabricators today like another poster recommended. He said to bring it in next week.

Cisco systems said just to mount the rails direct which is recommended on this model and it should be solid... not so ! bit disappointed in the gunwale quality, but i haven't had it out yet. This will be my first year with Riggers and is not the way i thought it would go :| so far

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:38 pm 
Walleye

I think it might help also to move your riggers forward some. maybe a foot or 18 inches up to where the cleat is located, this would disperse the force through the track some more and keep some of it off of the gunnel. and use them at a 45 degree angle with snubbers. Just a thought. in the picture you have the riggers right at the back where the track stops so there is no support from the track on the back side of the rigger.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I think horsehunter is right. If you consider how much bouncing around you do in a day, excessive flexing will probably cause problems.

There's a Lund video saying not to extend your boom further that 24 inches on a Lund Tyee mounting track.

I believe you have to get your downriggers on the inside of the gunwhales and supported by a soild board across the beam. Your Mag 10's will have lot's of boom to move your rigger's inside.

Bert's Custom Tackle is one or you can have one welded up. I'd lean towards getting one made. Then it will be exactly what you want. I would think that your fabrictor could make plates that would slide into your cisco track.

It'll work out and look good, it'll just take some tinkering.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:51 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Anyone use something like this to tie into the rails mounted on your gunwales to give some rigidity to your setup ? This is a track from berts that will fit into your rails that goes across to the other side/gunwale.... curious if this will fix or at least make gunnel flex less of an issue with heavier weights ?

https://berts-tackle.shptron.com/p/8ft- ... 2-end-caps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

I think that's exactly what you want but a local fabricator would be 1/3 that price with no shipping and that's Yankee bucks. 2 Scotty plates and a piece of 2x6 would tell you if it works for you. If it does have a fabricator build pretty.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:42 pm 
Walleye Catcher

i think so.. i hope so Horsehunter... 5 bills for a berts track with the 2 perpendicular risers that fit on my ciscos. I am the type that spends first and regrets it later type, so i am going to hit that deal up next week when berts is back in the office.

I also have a fabricator that will look at it next week as well. So that may yield something.

So far, Lund has said don't put that much angular flex on the gunwale, cisco says do it, Trojan tackle says don't do it, marina says do it ! lol its never cut and dry with boats is it ? :)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:34 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Just wanted to update this thread i posted a while back on the gunwale flex on the 1875 Pro V. I did pick up the Berts 8' downrigger bar with the 2 perpendicular risers. This thing is rock solid and fixed the flex issue completely. The bar is really solid and can handle more than 2 downriggers with minimal flex on each gunwale. The Berts risers slid right into the Cisco tracks no problem and tightens down very sturdy and well built piece of equipment. For anyone that wants to pick one up, shipping is VERY expensive as it is 8' long, but is pretty much a necessity unless you build your own. Trojan tackle said they build the same unit, but i opted to go with the Berts as it was readily available. Highly recommend this setup if you have the same issues listed above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfiu5pnfsyy5g ... 1.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76873nrs8cbut ... 3.JPG?dl=0

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Wow thats a nice solution and easily removable for when you have the family crusie days

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm really glad that you have that behind you. Looks good and functional.

Now it's just smooth fishing.

Congratulations!!!!