Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:40 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Glad everything is good , you are very lucky man .you best hug your wife tight tonight,and say thanks to the big guy above for looking out for you .

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:38 am 
Walleye

Glad you're safe.
I think a lesson that hasn't been stated is knowing when to get back to shore if your boat isn't adequate enough for the rough weather. Based on your on comments the fella you were fishing with knew enough to head back to shore while you choose to stay out for a couple more fish.
Bad decisions can be killers, don't let a couple of fish jeopardize your life. I use 14' aluminum boat currently for some of my fishing. There's days that just aren't doable or there's small windows were I know I can get out but my time is limited due to the incoming weather. I always look at the hourly forecast before heading out.
Glad you made it.
Hats off to all the first responders.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:48 am 
Jumbo Perch

No I headed back when chop it a foot, unfortunately it is half hour back paddling, in the meantime it churned up to 3+ waves and the forecast was totally out of whack, it’s said 11 km all afternoon, itbhit 30km when I checked later. Also, I wasn’t with anyone.

quote="LarryGuy"]Glad you're safe.
I think a lesson that hasn't been stated is knowing when to get back to shore if your boat isn't adequate enough for the rough weather. Based on your on comments the fella you were fishing with knew enough to head back to shore while you choose to stay out for a couple more fish.
Bad decisions can be killers, don't let a couple of fish jeopardize your life. I use 14' aluminum boat currently for some of my fishing. There's days that just aren't doable or there's small windows were I know I can get out but my time is limited due to the incoming weather. I always look at the hourly forecast before heading out.
Glad you made it.
Hats off to all the first responders.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:48 pm 
Walleye

Glad to hear you’re ok. It’s an eye-opener for all of us to be mindful of our surroundings and other boaters/kayakers/ etc out on the water. Stay safe!!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:55 am 
Walleye Angler

Glad u made it out , i had a 14ft aluminum with a 20 hp kick out side ways on me while cruising by cubbies at wide open few years back shot me out of the boat like a sling shot. Everything was fine then it was "swim to the light!!" Definitely an eye opener bays fun until she shows us who's running things !

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 am 
Minnow

I CAMP AT MOHAWK BAY CAMPGROUND AND SAW THE FIRE DEPT. AND AMBULANCE ON UNGAR POINT ON FRIDAY NIGHT,DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON UNTIL I READ YOUR POST "SORRY ABOUT YOUR ORDEAL BUT HAPPY YOUR OK!!" NORMALLY THE WIND COMES UP EVERY DAY AROUND 3PM ON MOHAWK BAY AND IF IT IS WEST OR SOUTH WEST - OUR PREVAILING WINDS- CAN GET VERY RROUGH AT OUR END OF THE B.O.Q. IF I HEAR OF ANYONE FINDING YOUR GEAR I WILL LET YOU KNOW!! THANKS FOR SHARING!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:51 am 
Walleye

Crazy story, glad you made it out of the water "safely" . That memory will be with you for life. Hopefully it's the last time you get caught in those conditions. Were those the best tasting fish after that ordeal?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:15 am 
Walleye Angler

Have you bought some flares yet?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am 
Walleye Angler

where were you fishing? what were you using?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:49 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Two things, I had flares..... couldn’t get at them, secondly sold the Kayak!

polliwogg wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 pm 
Jumbo Perch

What was weird is I was in the water and looked over, the pickerel were on the stringer beside me swimming. Pretty sure they had a smile on their face!

FishinScuba wrote:
Crazy story, glad you made it out of the water "safely" . That memory will be with you for life. Hopefully it's the last time you get caught in those conditions. Were those the best tasting fish after that ordeal?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks, I appreciate that....

FIREPLUG wrote:
I CAMP AT MOHAWK BAY CAMPGROUND AND SAW THE FIRE DEPT. AND AMBULANCE ON UNGAR POINT ON FRIDAY NIGHT,DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON UNTIL I READ YOUR POST "SORRY ABOUT YOUR ORDEAL BUT HAPPY YOUR OK!!" NORMALLY THE WIND COMES UP EVERY DAY AROUND 3PM ON MOHAWK BAY AND IF IT IS WEST OR SOUTH WEST - OUR PREVAILING WINDS- CAN GET VERY RROUGH AT OUR END OF THE B.O.Q. IF I HEAR OF ANYONE FINDING YOUR GEAR I WILL LET YOU KNOW!! THANKS FOR SHARING!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

Northerner10 wrote:
What was weird is I was in the water and looked over, the pickerel were on the stringer beside me swimming. Pretty sure they had a smile on their face!

FishinScuba wrote:
Lol

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 pm 
Minnow

Northerner10 wrote:

polliwogg wrote:

Good choice! Kayaks are for reservoirs and pothole lakes. Glad you lived to tell the tale!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 pm 
Walleye

meat sticks wrote:
Northerner10 wrote:

polliwogg wrote:

Good choice! Kayaks are for reservoirs and pothole lakes. Glad you lived to tell the tale!

I've fished the BOQ for years, 15 years in my Princecraft and the last 7 in a kayak. Kayaks are just as safe as any other boat when used within there limits.Lack of experience, stupidity or just plain bad luck is the cause of most overboard misthaps. In all my years on the water, stupidity caused my only overboard mishap and that was in my boat, not my kayak. The dock was a foot too short when I stepped back to tie my stern :)
I read weather reports before going, watch what weather is doing when I'm out there, and have confidence in my abilities and equipment and know there limits and mine. Totally unfortunate that this happened, but BOQ is hardly the body of water to see if Kayak fishing is for you. Especially early season when the water is cold enough to kill you.

banner ad