Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trip report & thanks!!
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:48 pm 
Baitfish

So we tried something new this year, we decided to plan a fishing trip up to the BOQ for some spring walleye. In the past few years we have done scattered guided trips on the BOQ with mixed success, a new bigger boat bought late last summer meant we were more comfortable in bigger unknown waters on our own.

We left home Friday at lunch myself, my brother and dad, 2 cousins and their father in law. 2 trucks and 2 boats heading down the 401, a quick stop for a truck stop lunch and leg stretch and then we rolled into our airBnb just after 3pm. We stayed just outside the village in Deseronto, the house was great and the hosts were even better, even letting us know earlier in the day we could check in as early as we wanted as no one was there the night before. $40 a guy, no sharing beds, lots of room and a big TV for watching the hockey game later that night, would recommend this to any group.

We quickly dropped of our bags and got the boats all ready and headed down to the ramp just a few minutes from our place. This was the first time any of us used the ramps In that area and they were fantastic, easy in and out and lots of room to park. Chatted with a few other boaters coming in off the water as we were heading out, they seemed to have a good day out on the water. We took of from deseronto and headed towards haybay, lots of boats were out all clumped in from ram island to the west. We caught one walleye here, one nice 6lb pike and lots of little perch. We stayed here for a few hours before we moved shallower and away from the group some.

Moving turned out to be huge for us, maybe 5 minutes after we had lines in the water at our new spot and we had our second walleye of the night. After that we had constant fish activity between both boats, with an additional 8 walleye being brought in biggest at 5lbs, we also caught a few more pike, a couple of drum and a scattering of panfish.

I noticed the difference in the 2 areas we fished was about 5 degrees warmer when we really let into the walleye at 65degrees according to my hummingbird. I’m new to walleye fishing but our speeds seemed to be a big difference maker, if I could keep the minnkota around 1.4mph the walleye seemed to hit. Maybe just a coincidence but seemed to be a pattern to me, we caught all fish on worm harness and to be honest all different colours.

We headed in before dark very happy with our day

Attachment:
5CCEF6A0-AABC-4B45-90CD-F3EBAB433737.jpeg

We tried again in the morning but the weather pushed us off the water pretty quick, we managed another 4 walleye between the 2 boats, we decided to head home where the weather was a little nicer and decided to try some of our bounty

Attachment:
FCAB65F4-41BC-4369-A141-C477DB8C8B64.jpeg

Sorry for the long report, but we had a great time, lots of memories on the water and off at night hanging out as a group, it’s always easy to be busy and not have time for stuff like a trip like this but they are definitely worth it.

Lastly not from the area but could not get over the courtesy out on the water and at the launches, never came across someone in a bad mood or not willing to talk and share tactics, I’ve seen lots of poor etiquette and attitude on the water in other places so it was a nice change of pace, a tip of the hat to all those out on the BOQ, hopefully this trip can become a family tradition.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:47 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Thanks for your sharing your trip to BOQ for the spring fishing.

That is a very good report with good details and full of info.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 pm 
Walleye

That's a great report and great results. If you read this reply would be greatful if you could forward BnB info of the place you stayed at to dpobrien@sympatico.ca .Thanks,Dale

banner ad
banner ad