Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:48 pm 
Walleye

I've never been able to effectively use this fish finder to find fish! I have seen that many use auto sensitivity but when I try that, it is completely unreadable (too sensitive). When I turn it down I still get all of these presumably false readings lol (check photo).

I was in the channel at the mouth of the Trent River near the marina at the time. Does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1psFbB ... h66KtPmfOG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hard to know for sure. Did you play with menu settings like surface clarity, noise reduction..ect

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 pm 
Walleye

DanElliot wrote:
Hard to know for sure. Did you play with menu settings like surface clarity, noise reduction..ect

Yeah I tinkered with all the settings. I may just bring it in to a shop and have them install an upgraded unit, and bow mount this one :P.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Darren, I have the same unit and it works well if you go to the setting area make sure you have the correct Transducer picked. You will also want to make sure that in the settings you have it set to automatic and freshwater(shallow water). I have been using mine for 2 seasons now and it is just a matter of getting used to the menus and reading up on the manual. If needed in the setup menu go back to factory reset and follow the manual it will get easier with use.

Looking at the pic that you posted the sensitivity is set pretty high and you can reduce it, presently you show surface clutter for about 8 ft. of the 17 ft you are in, I would until you get use to it set your sensitivity to auto.
The other things you might consider is where is your transducer mounted and is it to close to the motor or one of the transom ribs or is it in the stable part of the water and not catching air between the boat and the water surface.

In case you need it here is a link to the manual
https://ww2.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance- ... -002_w.pdf

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:29 am 
Walleye

Fry Flier wrote:
Darren, I have the same unit and it works well if you go to the setting area make sure you have the correct Transducer picked. You will also want to make sure that in the settings you have it set to automatic and freshwater(shallow water). I have been using mine for 2 seasons now and it is just a matter of getting used to the menus and reading up on the manual. If needed in the setup menu go back to factory reset and follow the manual it will get easier with use.

Looking at the pic that you posted the sensitivity is set pretty high and you can reduce it, presently you show surface clutter for about 8 ft. of the 17 ft you are in, I would until you get use to it set your sensitivity to auto.
The other things you might consider is where is your transducer mounted and is it to close to the motor or one of the transom ribs or is it in the stable part of the water and not catching air between the boat and the water surface.

In case you need it here is a link to the manual
https://ww2.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance- ... -002_w.pdf

Got it working a lot better. I put it on auto sensitivity but on (auto sensitivity - 8) and it keeps it working really well. Thanks for the help.