Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:40 am 
Guppy

I know this forum is intended mainly for the Quinte fishing area, but I thought I'd drop a couple of pics from my fishing trip to Lockport, MB last week. Managed to catch a LOT of giant channel cats, but only took a couple of pictures. You'll get the idea of the size from these pics (these were considered "normal" sized cats from the area). There were lots caught that were bigger!! The "standard" recommended bait is shrimp and although I was successful using shrimp, I got a tip from a kid on the shoreline that recommended cut chicken breast mixed with jello powder (of all things)! I kind of arched an eyebrow when he told me that, but proof is in the pudding...he was putting cats on the shore with the chicken/jello mix while I was left watching my line go relatively untouched with shrimp. He was averaging 5 hits to my one. Well hell....I'll try anything once!! Had chicken and jello the following day and had them hitting left, right and center! The large bleeding cat in the picture wasn't seriously injured (although it looks nasty from the amount of blood). The 6.0 barb-less circle hook buried itself in the roof of the cat's mouth instead of the usual hook up in the corner of the mouth. Anyway, thought you might enjoy seeing the pics. Have fun and tight lines!!

Can't get the second pic to attach.....oh well....one is better than none :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 am 
Walleye Catcher

Nice fish! they are fun to catch.

we used to fish for these in the power outflow at the start of long reach near warkwarth / trent years ago. We would buy liver from the grocery store and marinate it in the sun for a day or 2. we would drop the liver straight down in the outflow of the power generating station and would nail them

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:17 am 
Guppy

Absolutely fun to catch!! There are so many channel cats in the Red River early in the season that catching one is all but guaranteed, regardless of the bait used. Definitely not a finesse bite here...just heavy equipment and lots of horsepower. Hehehe..the standing joke is that the gear required is braided cable tied to a hockey stick...lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

I hooked a good one off green point on a black n red bucktail had to be 10lbs or close to it... got it boat side and it swam away with my bucktail lol that was two years ago haven't seen another that size since

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:43 pm 
Walleye Master

jkd24 wrote:
I hooked a good one off green point on a black n red bucktail had to be 10lbs or close to it... got it boat side and it swam away with my bucktail lol that was two years ago haven't seen another that size since

Myself and some buddies have caught a few around Green Point as well over the years trolling for walleye on a worm harness. Never weighed them, but I'm guessing they were 10 lbs or better.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Wild must be quite the fight very nice fish. thanks for sharing . 8) 8) 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

Have to try that here. As there are lots of big cats in the Trent river.

banner ad
banner ad