Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:12 pm 
Walleye

Are there any bylaws against fishing here if you are in a boat? I had assumed since it was private/municipal property they can enforce no fishing bylaws from land/dock but do municipalities also have the ability to enforce bylaws like no fishing in the harbour if you access the harbours waters from the bay?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:15 am 
Walleye Angler

Ive seen lots of people fishing the harbor and have never seen them get in trouble. I don't believe its posted as no fishing..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:17 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Bylaws are enforceable within the boundries of the municipality. They're not limited by how you get there.

A persons opinion on matters of law are only valid if the Judge agrees. Usually, when the Judge says your wrong, the guy who gave you the opinion isn't standing beside you.

The City website says that Victoria Harbour is home to the Bay of Quinte Yatch Club. If your going into someones home, it's best to have permission. Here's the number 613-966-5931.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:05 pm 
Walleye

The land is city property but the water it is surrounded by should be federally owned. It is the same as a home owner saying u cant fish in front of their dock because it is private property. I could care less if I cant fish there but I was just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

Cobourg Town Council looked into this matter in regards to its Harbour, after this video a few years back .They found they didn't have jurisdiction ,....therefore, the fishermen were within their rights to be there,at least then. dont know if anything changed since then

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... ORM=VRDGAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:19 am 
Walleye Angler

joey wrote:
The land is city property but the water it is surrounded by should be federally owned. It is the same as a home owner saying u cant fish in front of their dock because it is private property. I could care less if I cant fish there but I was just curious.

The water bed is actually owned by the city of belleville, and they could impose no fishing if they chose to. The rest of the lake bed is provincial not federal and it isn't until after hgwy 62 that is provincial again.

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm 
Walleye Angler

Swiftdeer wrote:
joey wrote:

The water bed is actually owned by the city of belleville, and they could impose no fishing if they chose to. The rest of the lake bed is provincial not federal and it isn't until after hgwy 62 that is provincial again.
Where are you getting this info?
My understanding is that all navigatable water falls under federal jurisdiction except for a very few areas. Lk O is definately federal...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 am 
Walleye Angler

Bobber wrote:
Swiftdeer wrote:
joey wrote:

Where are you getting this info?
My understanding is that all navigatable water falls under federal jurisdiction except for a very few areas. Lk O is definately federal...

Lake Ontario is actually provincial. TheTrent Severn waterway to dam 1 and the Rideau are federal, and the st. lawrence seaway... but the rest and all inland water bodies are provincial- well until you cross the border then I really don't know. Some landlocked lakes that are completely surrounded by private property may be private, but usually these are small waterbodies.

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

banner ad