banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:04 am 
Baitfish

Here on Vancouver Island, Ontario smallmouth bass stocked in the early 1900,s are doing very well. Although many trout anglers view them as pests!!! (fools), they are slowly gaining in popularity, especially for me and the 4 tackle boxes full of Quinte gear I dragged out here with me.
Year round ice free lakes dot the Island and quite a few hold sizable populations of smallies to 8+ lbs.! with 3 to 5 lb. fish being common.
You can fish anytime, though it,s catch and release only during the months of (April 15 - J.une 15). In fact I think there is a small local tournament coming up in early April.
General regulations include a 4 fish daily retention with non to be be between 12 and 17 inches, keep 1 per day over 17 inches. Some lakes the keeper must be over 20 inches.
Outdoor Canada mag. has mentioned the Island as possibly one of the best kept bass secrets in the country.
So if any of you guys can,t stand it any more and need a fix, you know where to come. I think some experienced Quinte bass anglers could kick some serious bass butt out here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:14 am 
Walleye Angler

Hi Wulff
It does indeed look like an interesting fishery, with a bass tournament coming in April, I understand. The boat size would I suspect shock Quinte anglers.... lol. I do respect the knowledge base, but the small boats still surprise me Wulff.

I ran into a gentleman at the Abbotsford Tradex Show that seemed to think a record largemouth could come out of the lower Okanogan area. The largest Canadian record I could find was 10.43 pds in Ont., making it look like quite a unique challenge. I have heard about 8+.....but 10?.......it sure would make folks take notice of the bass fishing....

Have you broken the 6pd barrier on the island Wulff? (my biggest was about 6+ pd largemouth out of the Trent R. system near Bolsover, Ont.)

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad