banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:24 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Laker John and I drove to Oshawa on Wed AM to catch the GO to Exhibition for this years show. Opening day crowds were thin, which is good as the traffic will pick up as the weekend nears.

We did our thing, which consists of going up and down each row and checking things out as we see them.

There were considerably less vendors hawking things like sock, t-shirts, potato peelers(slicers and dicers etc)

Some of GTA's fishing vendors weren't therebut LeBarons is back, Fishing World (Quinte Sponsor) has a good area of items, and there were some that I didn't recognize but a large assortment of fishing tackle.

I couldn't find the right color of the lure I was looking for, but have several places that will order what I want - lots of time til the fall.

All the major boats were represented and even found a minute to talk to Tom Gustar at Boatland Canada about the Quinte Fishing - always a pleasure.

The two loudest spots in the show were the Shimano and Fish-TV areas with lots of volume.

Everone should pick up a copy of Big Jim's latest paper as there's an article about releasing large fish, co-written by a Quinte board member. Available near the Fish-TV and the big Fish Tank.

The Hunting area used to be the area for the dog show, but that has moved into the big section at the east end of the Grand Hall.

From what we saw, there were less things being sold, although you can buy LOTS of tackle and lures and Boats and motors and find the trip of a lifetime. There were some very nice locations advertising their fishing and hunting.

Best part of the day was a meeting at the beer Garden with some Quinte/Niagara Fishers. We met for a glass and some chat about fishing. It was a pleasure to think about the upcoming season and the fun we'll have. Especially if you have a NEWer Boat.........

All in all a good show and very worthwhile.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:26 am 
Walleye Angler

Hi,

Off to the show myself today...though don't have any purchases in mind :( ...sounds like a good way to spend the afternoon. And you never know...some vendor may make me an offer I can't refuse :roll: ...though I doubt it!

Mac :lol:

Be happy, take care, enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Not as many vendors selling t-shirts and stuff? Where am I going to find an Iron Maiden iron on crest for my fishing jacket? :P
I’m heading to Lake Placid this weekend for a 3 day ski trip, on our way, we’re stopping at Samonrun mall, I’m in the market for a new baitcaster and have many questions and appreciate any feedback.
I use spinning reels and hold the rod with my right and reel with my left. Will I be looking for a reel that cranks on the left? Isn’t that the most popular type of bait caster? What is the advantage of low profile bait casters? I fish mostly for Pike/Pickeral in Brighton bay, casting and trolling spoons, rapalas, etc. Is it worth my money to even look at buying one? Is there a make and model anyone has that they’d recommend or not recommend to me? Is Dick’s Sporting goods in the Mall have good deals? Being that the US dollar is at a low, will I be saving much money compared to Bass Pro Shop? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: salmon run mall
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:09 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Shawn there are deals at gander mountain as well as some deals at Dicks. If you are looking for a bait caster reel that will do double duty for trout,salmon,and late season walleye you should look at the left handed [retrieved] line counter reel that cabelas has. They are the first ones to offer this style reel and it is already back ordered. It's been a long time comming and i look forward to the day when i get one. The price is about $80 american.
The spring skiing should be great! ...Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:43 am 
Walleye

I enjoyed this years show. It was a big improvement from the last few years. Glad to see the big Toronto area stores back in the show. There were some deals to be found if you looked for them. LeBarons was selling powerpro for just under 17 dollars for 150 yds.

It was a good way to kick off spring and spend a day in the city.

Mike

banner ad