Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Slowed down
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:20 am 
Walleye Catcher

Fishing in the weeds was great all over the bay in 7 to 15 ft. until about a week ago . Mohawk and Mallory seemed to have really slowed down. Sharing info can be good for everyone :roll:

Post subject: Re: Slowed down
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:20 am 
Walleye

Thanks for the info. I agree, sharing info can be good for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:11 pm 
Walleye

Slowed down is a relative term, you are spoiled if you regularly fish the bay, yes it's slower than spring however the fishing is still better most other drive-to places, numbers are the same as last year and the overall size is up this year, lot's of 18-21" fish are there for the taking, fish slow, 1.2mph, real close to weeds and as quiet as possible, avoid the crowds at the well known spots or fish them when the crowds move on,
case in point
Yesterday around lunch time, 5 of 7 boats left a "big named location" within 15 minutes bite came on 4 walleye, kept 2 for supper, before then I never saw a net move, even the sheepies weren't biting.
Perch n white bass always bite LOL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:47 pm 
Walleye

I've only been out a handful of times this month. Hay Bay around a certain island has been good to me this summer....catching them almost every outing...should note I was occasionally foul hooking round gobies so occurred to me the walleyes were in there feeding. One day in particular back in late July I was really getting in to channell cats too. BIG channel cats, one was 20+lbs.

I recall 2nd week of August, Wednesday the 15th, I was out and caught one nice walleye within the first 20mins of fishing before getting chased off by an incoming storm. It rained and thundered wed night and then heavy rain again on Thursday and tapered off Friday. Went back again Saturday and fished for hours, nothing was there and not the usually activity on the fish finder. Returned Sunday and nothing AGAIN except a sheepshead and a small large mouth. So they really seemed to shut off or went into hiding after that system moved through
That's the last time I was out...hope to get back out and try again by this weekend weather permitting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:16 pm 
Baitfish

What kind of a basic setup would you guys recommend for a relative newbie walleye angler? I have tried earie dearies, crankbaits, bottom bouncers with nightcrawlers, but have only managed to snag a few and those were all on a clownfish colored crankbait that I was trolling.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:00 pm 
Walleye

vladd148 wrote:
What kind of a basic setup would you guys recommend for a relative newbie walleye angler? I have tried earie dearies, crankbaits, bottom bouncers with nightcrawlers, but have only managed to snag a few and those were all on a clownfish colored crankbait that I was trolling.

Did really well with blade baits for casting around weed edges. Northland crawler haulers with twister tails for troling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:32 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey Jiggin…….nice to hear you caught a big channel cat.....haven't really heard about them for quite awhile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:29 pm 
Walleye

littledog wrote:
Hey Jiggin…….nice to hear you caught a big channel cat.....haven't really heard about them for quite awhile

Ran into them down on the flats too(across pickerel park) in late spring when weeds were starting to pop up. Sure put a good bend in the rod lol

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad