Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: yellow bird
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:54 pm 
Walleye Catcher

hello are the yellow bird planer boards any good please help never fished boards before would like to start

Post subject: Re: yellow bird
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:43 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Hi Charlie,

I don't know about the Yellowbird. I have Off Shore and they are dear. I don't know if one works better that the other.

My thing is parts and I know you can get Off Shore parts. The releases rubber pads have to be replaced occasionally. Bronson and Bronson in Kingston ordered me some. Much cheaper than buying releases.

Pro Tackle in Belleville has a good selection of Off Shore. They're fall hours are Thurs-Fri-Sat.

With my boards, I find that the flag stays part way down with deep diving lures pulling on them. They also run tail down with the weight. I'm not sure the flags are worth the extra money.

Once you see how the boards run with and without a fish on you'll be able to tell. Exception is small fish, but they really don't pull the flag anyway.

For me, learning to use the board was trial and error. If your by yourself, it's challenging to manage two boards. The wind will push you into your leeward board. I use Power Pro braided line without a problem. If your fishing around other boats you need lots of room and need to plan where you going well ahead.

When I turn with one board, I turn away from the board to keep tension on the line and make a wide turns. It's takes more power to pull planer boards with an electric trolling motor. I use my gas motor and a drift bag to adjust my speed if needed.

I use my planer boards only in the fall and that's occasionally. I've caught fish both with and without them.

It's a mystery to me why you can catch walleye going directly over them in 8 ft of water, but you can't catch them in 30 ft of water unless you use a planer board.

I started using Dipsy Divers last spring for lake trout. Worked well. Going to give them a try for walleye.

There's other guy's that have way more experience than I do, so hopefully they'll have more info.

Good luck.

Post subject: yellow bird
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:43 pm 
Walleye Master

I’m an offshore guy as well. I don’t know anything about the yellow bird.

I’d highly recommend the new tattle flags they have additional holes for the spring so you can set the tension for pulling the larger deep diving crank baits. I love having the tension set right so you can see weeds, small fish etc.

Offshore boards from a local tackle shop is the way to go in my opinion.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:54 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Thanks guys i go have a talk with Stacy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:40 am 
Walleye Catcher

What Scott said....there are a number of other boards and they work well but the Off Shore are the most popular. You definitely need the flags and as he said the new ones have multiple adjustments. All in they are ridiculously expensive but its not like you are going to lose them. use a sharpie or a label maker and put your name and number on them ( i have gotten my back) personally i changed the Off shore clips to the Church Tackle clips which i liked better.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing