Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I upgraded my planer boards to the new Tattle Flag.

I had the old flags that were always half down and the boards were always nose high, towing Reef Runners.

I didn't realize that there was an upgrade kit until Scott mentioned it in the Yellow Bird Disussion. (thanks Scott)

The new flags work very well. The lower rear release position really helps with the nose high problem. Lots of tension adjustments. Boards work great now.

I looked at Bass Pro because I had a gift card to use up. Bass Pro Canada doesn't carry the kits. The import fees from Bass Pro U.S.A. on two kits are over $30.00 American on top of everything else. Those fees don't show on the Bass Pro site.

I've had a few duty/brokerage fee surprises lately. Not good when your looking for something you can't source in Canada.

I picked my kits up at Pro Tackle in Belleville. Only shop around, I'm aware of, that have the kits. Good place to shop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:28 pm 
Walleye Master

How does the tattle flag help with the "nose high" issue?? My boards run nose high also with the old flags.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:09 am 
Walleye Wisdom

The new kit has instructions to lower the rear realese on the board. The lower release location drops the planers nose.

You can do it with the old flags. The kit gives you a new flag with lots of tension adjustment holes. It gives you almost infinate adjustment on whatever lure your towing.

The video describes the new flags and tells you where to locate the lower release location. I just used the mould mark above the screw and it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTV-NgIBWIg

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:12 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Also it's a good idea to take a Sharpie or Label maker and put your phone number on them, I have had 1 returned to me

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:21 am 
Walleye Wisdom

That is a good idea.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:17 am 
Minnow

that kit is a waste of money!!!just upgrade the spring to a stronger one and you can drill another hole further down to get even more tension on the flag!!i have done this and it works perfect !!you can run any deep diver and the flag will stay up until you get that big strike!!fish on guys!!good luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Where did you get your springs????

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:32 pm 
Walleye Master

Walleye chaser wrote:
that kit is a waste of money!!!just upgrade the spring to a stronger one and you can drill another hole further down to get even more tension on the flag!!i have done this and it works perfect !!you can run any deep diver and the flag will stay up until you get that big strike!!fish on guys!!good luck

You can certainly do this and it will work but in fairness drilling the old flags doesn’t leave a lot of plastic and the flags would be more fragile. I’m not saying it won’t work and it will certainly save some $ which is a great thing because a $1 saved is $2 earned but there are additional advantages to upgrading the flags.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:22 am 
Minnow

Roblin wrote:
Where did you get your springs????

lowes hardware store , they are called door extension springs !size i used is 1/4 by 3 1/4 by .025 inch they come 2 in a package for $5 and drill the hole in the bottom corner of the board not the flag

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:27 am 
Walleye Master

Walleye chaser wrote:
drill the hole in the bottom corner of the board not the flag

That’s a pretty simple and effective work around to drilling the flag. Lol. You got me there.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:59 am 
Minnow

you can also use stock spring and upgrade spring together for even more tension !just play around with it for your liking !scott stick to making breakfast!lol its the best in town!!!

banner ad