banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:31 am 
Walleye

I made my second and final Fall trip to the Bay of Quinte this past weekend. My Buddy and I arrived at Merland Park early Saturday morning and Launched the boat. By the time we chatted with a few guys and rigged up the boat it was after 9:30 before we had our lines in the water. We started at Thompson's Point and fished out was to the Red Barn and back, right along the edge of the ice pack. Marked a few fish but didn't move a rod so about 12:30 we pulled the lines, headed out past the lighthouse and started trolling around there. We saw a lot of boats between the Lighthouse and the Ferry but we decided fish the north shore along the lighthouse. About 1:30 just east of the lighthouse. We trolled along the north shore and one of the planer boards starts jumping and finally after a few hours of trolling we have hooked into one of these fickle Bay of Quinte Walleye.

We were in about 80 feet of water with 150 feet of line out and a 2 ounce snap weight and he weighed in at 4.0 pounds.

This 4 pound walleye was caught with a Rapala Gold Husky Jerk Deep Diver.

We worked our way to where most of the boat were, between the light house and the Ferry. We marked a ton of fish on the graph and saw lots of clouds of baitfish but we fished until dark and didn't move another rod. We headed in to Merland Park and went to town for some dinner.

On Sunday another buddy arrived in the Morning to join us in the boat. We dithered around a bit in the morning and finally got fishing by 9:00 am. We set our lines just past the Ferry and didn't move a stick for a long time. We made out way past the Lighthouse and then circled across the bay towards the Bat Cave and just before noon and the middle, Port side planer board releases and heads behind the boat. We put the new guy on the rod and he reports it was pulling pretty good. Eventually he lands a 10 pound 12 ounce walleye. We were in 120 feet of water with 150 feet of line out and no snap weight.

This 10 pound 12 ounce, 30 1/2 inch walleye was caught with a Reef Runner Gold Shiner 800 series.

We continued circling across the bay towards the Bat Cave and about 15 minutes after catching the last fish the outer, port side planer board drops back a bit and starts shaking. My other buddy picks up the rod and reels in a 5 pound, five ounce walleye. We were in 100 feet of water with 150 feet of line out and a 2 ounce snap weight.

This 5 pound, five ounce, 24 inch walleye was caught with the same Reef Runner Gold Shiner 800 series.

And 15 minutes after that, the outside, starboard planer board releases and heads behind the boat. It's my turn on the rod and it feels like a decent fish. After a short battle, I land a 9 pound 9 ounce walleye. We were in 100 feet of water with 150 feet of line out and no snap weight.

This 9 pound 9 ounce, 30 inch walleye was caught with a Rapala Bleeding Tiger, Deep Tail Dancer 11.

We had decided to repeatedly circle the area between the Bat Cave and Lighthouse. About an hour after the last fish (1:30ish) the Middle planer board on the Port Side starts shaking pretty good. The Rookie jumps up and quickly grabs the rod out of the holder and reels in a 5 pound, 10 ounce walleye using the rod with 5 colours of leadcore out.

This 5 pound, 10 ounce, 23 1/2 inch walleye was caught on a Bay Rat Purple Flash Long Extra Deep.

At 3:40 pm we decided to pack it in and while bringing in the lines we discovered we had be towing along a walleye for some time. We caught him on the line hooked to the outside, starboard planer board. It was kind of funny because we had the discussion a couple of times as to whether that planer board was tracking properly and we wondered out loud about a fish being on that line but both times dismissed it to wind, waves and current. I guess the lesson is, when in doubt, always check the line. Anyway, my buddy was happy to discover something pulling the other way when he removed the planer board. He reeled in a 4 pound, 8 ounce walleye with 150 feet of line out and a 3 ounce snap weight.

This 4 pound, 8 ounce, 23 inch walleye was caught once again with the same Reef Runner Gold Shiner 800 series.

Saturday Morning from Cabin 10 at Merland Park Cottages

Ice around the dock Sunday afternoon. These docks were completely iced in the day before we arrived.

The time between bites.

We caught 1 fish Saturday and 5 fish on Sunday. We didn't have any fish on and off. It's seems like there's a lot of the 5 pound class fish being caught this year. Gold has been our most successful colour lure, particularly the Gold Reef Runner. We didn't catch any huge Walleye but 6 fish with 2 ten pounders in the lot made for a pretty darn good weekend. There was bright smiles all around.

My friend Zack made a couple of 60 second Videos from our trip on Sunday. Here are the youtube links to them.

Video Clip One:

https://youtu.be/Jv78oPRFMjw

Video Clip Two:

https://youtu.be/iyPMpNG4V48

That's it for my fishing season for 2018. I'm putting my boat in the barn for the winter this coming weekend. There's still some open water days ahead, so good luck to those of you still heading out on the Bay.

Tight lines Everyone!

Cheers, Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:27 am 
Walleye Angler

great report

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:36 am 
Walleye

Great report.
Appreciate the details, you will have caused a surge in sales in gold Reef Runners!
Was there a magic speed?
If you look at the new Precision Trolling charts, speed affects the lure depth when you add a snap weight. At 1.5mph to get a Reef Runner down to 25' it's 80' back from board with 2oz snap weight OR 130', sure helps when staggering baits in a 6 rod spread.
FYI
I have had the most hits with baits down around 25' at 1.7 to 1.85 MPH,
Clown, Helsinki Ghost and Barbie have been my productive colors this year,
Mostly Reef Runner 800s & DDHJ12s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for a great relief Kevin!

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Great report with lots of details. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:32 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

That's a great report..... Thanks for sharing all the lure and water depth information.

Wait til next year for our fishing.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:36 pm 
Walleye

Awesome report, best one i've read in awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:24 pm 
Walleye

How many of the fish had
the air sack in their mouths pulling them up from those depths?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 pm 
Walleye Master

Great report!! Just curious, how far up from the lure are you putting on the snap weight??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:32 am 
Walleye Angler

great job Kevin and thanks for the amazing report
looks like everyone was hitting fish on Sunday unlike Saturday lol
great meeting you guys at merland park and I also got lucky they had a hotel cancelation so we will back this weekend to give it another go!!!
cheerz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:50 pm 
Walleye Master

Fisher18 wrote:
How many of the fish had

We were fishing same area and similar depths and we had none with signs of barotrauma on Sunday and 1 on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:11 pm 
Guppy

You can also use the following device:

http://seaqualizer.com/products/shallow ... -70ft.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:46 am 
Walleye

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!. Much appreciated! :-)

BWHDeseronto wrote:
Was there a magic speed?

I tried to keep it between 1.7 mph and 1.8 although mother nature had her own speed in mind when I was going with the wind. I had downloaded the Precision Trolling App you mentioned some time ago but never got around paying the fee and looking more closely at what it has to offer. Probably a good Idea.

Fisher18 wrote:
How many of the fish had

Zero

Walleye 9 wrote:
Great report!! Just curious, how far up from the lure are you putting on the snap weight??

I am putting the snap weight up 50 feet from the lure and then this past weekend I was letting out 100 more feet of line after that.

gordo1000islands wrote:
great meeting you guys at merland park and I also got lucky they had a hotel cancelation so we will back this weekend to give it another go!!!
cheerz

Absolutely, It was great to meet you, Frenchie and a few others at Merland Park. I had a great time there. Good luck this weekend and I hope you have resolved your trim motor problem by then. I'm looking forward to next year! Good Luck out there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am 
Walleye

best report of 2018, well done and thanks.

We were out for 6 hrs on Saturday and caught nothing.

We did see 3 different bald eagles though, all juveniles under 5 years of age (they have a dark head and tail until around 5 years of age when they develop the signature white head and tail. This applies to both male and female).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:40 pm 
Walleye

Unchained wrote:
We did see 3 different bald eagles though, all juveniles under 5 years of age (they have a dark head and tail until around 5 years of age when they develop the signature white head and tail. This applies to both male and female).

Wow I was sure I saw one in Hay Bay on weekend of 24th/25th November. That confirms it! In my case was an adult...full sized, white head white tail