Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Just found this out today. I must be living under a rock.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/ ... Group.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:43 am 
Walleye Angler

Ya news is a bit old but won't see much change unless they take them away from non rude dealers. You will see a lot pre rigged with evinrude. Buyouts of the boat manufactures by the motor manufactures is a main reason why places like Belleville Sport have changed boat lines so many times. You have to be quite large to sell and service 2 or 3 lines of motors in volumes large enough to to get the discounts that keep you competitive and keep the manufacture happy

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:01 am 
Walleye Angler

Question when you order a new boat do you first select the motor, or the boat or just stumble across a package you like?

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am 
Walleye Catcher

for me its motor first, then boat... then, does any marine outfit that motor to the boat i want, easily, keeping it supportable... one of the benefits of bay marine, they will make the boat you want. I have Evinrudes hooked up to my Lund by them, no problem. I was juggling VMAX / G2's for my Lund and BM would do either. I hate the pre-made packages as they always come with Mercury (not trying to start anything, just preference for me).

Mind you, i would consider an Alumacraft with G2's as they have that option and i heard are pretty good boats.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I had a package boat and was never really happy with it. Little things but put all together, I wasn't thrilled with it.

Decided on a change and the boat was my first consideration. I figured that if I wasn't happy with the boat, it didn't really matter what I put on it.

I'm also pretty picky, which doesn't help.

I think most dealers will now build packages.

Alumacraft allowed me to build the package I wanted. They offered Honda, Merc, Suzuki, Evinrude or Yamaha. (the web site won't show Merc or Yamaha because of the BRP takeover, but they're still available in Canada) Also Humminbird, Garmin, Lowrance or Minn Kota a selection of trailers and what ever else you'd like.

Personally, no matter brand you like, I think building your own boat package is the way to go.

You'll probably spent a bit more than a "ready made" package, but you'll get exactly what you want.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:15 pm 
Walleye

I would prioritise motor in a boat package. In researching for reliable motors - Honda, Suzuki and Mercs are good. No sense getting a fancy fast package with a crappy motor turns your $30 000 investment into an expensive canoe 5 miles from the launch

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:13 pm 
Walleye Catcher

In 1990 when we sold our Business, and went Hammer Down in Retirement, our first Yamaha (200 hp 2-stroke) was acquired. Since then, roughly ten or so additional Yammies have come thru our door.

Bottom line: not one single problem - NONE - have been experienced with those motors, and we could not be happier. In our opinion, shared by many boaters, Yamaha should not simply be added to that 'Reliability List', it should be at the top of it.

Just sayin'...~

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:37 am 
Walleye Angler

They all make good motors and they ALL have the occasional dud . I've had 4 Suzuki 4 strokes and so far been happy with all. I owned a Mercury that I wasn't friends with, the choke and I would constantly argue but I kept it for 20 years and I still see it on the lake 10 years later. I will never own another carburated motor.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:45 pm 
Guppy

horsehunter wrote:
They all make good motors and they ALL have the occasional dud . I've had 4 Suzuki 4 strokes and so far been happy with all. I owned a Mercury that I wasn't friends with, the choke and I would constantly argue but I kept it for 20 years and I still see it on the lake 10 years later. I will never own another carburated motor.

Sounds to me it won the argument as it's still running after you used it 20 years and the other guy 10.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:58 pm 
Walleye Catcher

horsehunter wrote:
Question when you order a new boat do you first select the motor, or the boat or just stumble across a package you like?

Now that we're done measuring our d!cks on motor preference, i hope somewhere in this thread you found the answer... but to the original poster of this thread, Alumacraft and BRP, i will be considering these boats in the future, love the BRP match and graphics to the boat colors.

banner ad