Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Quinte Big Eye
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:47 am 
Walleye

Great fish from a great guy !! Got my ATV stuck in Trenton couple winters ago and Rob came by and plowed the whole area to get me out. Didn't know me at all , just the kind of guy he is. Well done , hope to see you on the hardwater.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:01 am 
Site Admin

TrophyHunter wrote:
Be kind in your reply's ,Rob is one of the good guy's that shares a lot of information showing disrespect will only drive a contributor away from this forum ,,,,If you don't like the picture or believe the size all you need to say is Nice Fish

I totally agree Bill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:52 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I don't know this fellow, but he has lots of pictures of beautiful fish. Whoever the photographer is, does a masterful job of maximizing the attributes of the subject. Pretty common practice for just about anything.

I'm very envious that I don't similar bragging rights, but that's my problem for not being much of a fisherman or photographer.

Rob on the other hand, is obviously very skilled.

As for the barotrauma, a week or so ago I caught a nice fish at 45 ft. and it was pretty much DOA. No reviving it.

I was chasing fish showing on the finder at deeper depths.

I took off my snap weights and still caught fish that were alive and healthly. I wasn't marking fish at less than 30 ft, but they were there.

My personal feeling is that fizzing a fish or powerdiving it to the depths is no guarantee it'll survive. Everything I've read, indicates that there's no evidence of improved survival using either method.

I've had a Commercial Fisherman tell me that large, probable catch and release fish are dying and I believe it.

I don't want to needlessly kill fish that will spawn so I'm done with snap weights for walleye.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:39 pm 
Walleye

You have to admit that the proportions do look a little out of wack, and the fish looks much larger than 16.8 lbs, but that just might be good photography.
I don’t know Rob personally but some pretty respectable people here, that do know him, are saying he’s a stand up guy.
So if he is the real deal, then good on him and keep them coming.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:26 pm 
Baitfish

for some reason, I can't see the picture. Is there a reason why I can't and others can. Please help since it sounds like a once in a life time view.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:54 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hooboy, we stepped in it BIG TIME.

Not much more we can do than offer sincere apologies; that's why we added the 'cover your butt'-slanted comments. Wish that was enough!!

We just thought the foto was questionable due to the size of that Monster... and should add that we personally have a very LONG way to go before coming close to matching that catch. As if!

To all concerned, we shall now slink off to the Dunce Cap Corner, and shut up.

Migawd, we really feel awful about this.

Rgds, Wordpecker.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:54 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Nice of you to sincerely apologized Wordpecker. I'm sure we've all been there.

I have to agree, this fish was so awesome it was astonishing.

I would think that some people who don't know Rob or seen his library would be suspicious. Fortunately, Rob has the skill and dedication to keep me inspired to keep trying for the big one. I really enjoy his pictures.

Rob has photo's on photobucket. Highlight and delete the address in your address bar and copy this link to it.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/rob ... Zw==/?ref=

I'm having problems with the link so you might have to "refresh" this link a few times for Rob's picture to pop up. Once it does click on "robbietacksens" above the picture and his library should open.

Some real impressive pictures.

Thanks for the photo's Rob. Please keep them coming.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:30 am 
Walleye

That is a beautiful fish and well deserved! I am kinda surprised it didn't have any of those nasty growths on it, being how old and big it is .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:32 am 
Walleye Catcher

Gotta put up with us one more time. sorry.

First of all; our heartfelt Thanks to "Roblin", and a couple other Forum Guys for attempting to let us down gently. Words really can't tell you how awful we feel about this.

Making it even Worse; if Rob had been intro'd as "FishinMagician", it never would have happened. We've followed the Forum for a long time; first as an onlooker only, then as a Registered Member for many years, and watched in amazement as Rob posts spectacular Fish year after year.

Wish this had never happened. Again; sincere apologies to Rob and all Forum Members who saw our original comments.

Sincerely, Wordpecker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:19 am 
Walleye

A beautiful fish, excellent report and a great picture. Congratulations and Well done gentlemen! I first saw this picture posted on the Rapala Facebook page.

The cartoon below is quite funny because this photography technique is how all of us make "the fish", the main point of interest in our fishing photos!

Cheers, Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:23 am 
Walleye Catcher

Nice fish Rob did it again :) :) :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

Grab a seat, this is going to be a long one!

To start off with I’d like to say we (Daryl Ensoll & Jason Greentree & I) definitely did catch a 16.8lb walleye. I’m still in shock to this day. I’ve spent a lot of time on Quinte in search of a true monster. To clear a few things up, the info in the original post is copy and paste from a Target Walleye email that went out. Unfortunately the program was a bit wrong and since the email has been sent, nothing can be done about it. Target Walleye had asked for a quick note about the day and I sent them some details and obviously messed up the program not thinking clearly after just landing a fish of a lifetime!!!

We were targeting fish in the top 30’ of water like I’ve done every other time out on the bay. We spent 5 days on the water and caught 33 fish and I strongly practice catch and release, but 3 of them did come home with us to eat as they were under 5lbs. The others swam away healthy as can be with no bladder issues.

I’m having an issue with people assuming it was caught in 150’ of water and not reading and understanding the whole post. I was targeting the top 30’ of water over anywhere from 70’-150’ of water over the few days I was out there. And even if I was targeting fish deep and keeping them, I have a sport fishing license and I’m legally allowed to keep my 4 walleye per day, 1 of which being over 24.8”. But like I stated above, I’m a firm believer in catch and release and I want to protect our incredible fishery just like the next guy on here!

Here’s the low down on how the big girl was caught and how I followed these fish around for 5 days. It’s pretty crazy! Keep in mind, I’m pre-fishing for Lund’s TV show “The Ultimate Fishing Experience”. Be sure to tune in!

Day #1 - I was freaking out a little after day 1 when I had only managed to catch 1 walleye. I ran everything from TD-11’s, the new TD-13’s to jointed husky’s and straight husky’s. My screen didn’t look all that great that day as everything I was marking was below 60’. I focused on covering water near the bat cave.

Day #2 - I started in the same area to see if any of those marks I saw in 60’ would come up any. My screen started looking a little better and after a slow start I was catching fish. I played around with my program a little and finished the day catching 4 walleye. I noticed the fish had moved a little east and towards the middle of the reach.

Day #3 - This is the day the big girl came to say hi. A little east of the bat cave now and in the middle of the reach we hook our first fish. A good start at 10.8lbs. The screen looked amazing with all kinds of marks above 30’. After catching the first fish I change up the program a little to match what had just produced a very respectable walleye. It was no time at all and a board drops back and damn near goes under the water. I knew it was big right away. Sure enough, put her on the scale and 16.8lbs. Wow... we finished the day with 8 fish and closer to the north shore now.

Day #4 & #5 - These are the 2 days of filming with the Lindner Media crew. I’m going to save the details but I will tell you we caught 20 fish on camera and you’ll just have to wait and see the show! Too bad the 16.8lb didn’t show up on one of these days haha. We finish the show in 90’ about 2.5mi west of the ferry. That’s 4mi from where I had started just a few days before. Goes to show you how Quinte can be a struggle.

The Camera - I use a GoPro Hero 4. It is small, water proof and takes amazing photos with high megapixels. It captures light and colours well and with its wide angle lens, yes, it makes some fish look larger than life. But heck, who cares. A 16.8lb walleye is a 16.8lb walleye. And it’s all about the fish in my eyes, who wants to see my ugly mug in the picture anyways. Just look at the fish and appreciate that something like that lives in our back yards and anyone of us could have the chance at reeling something like that in. And who knows, with me having released that fish, someone could catch it and make their own memories they’ll never forget!

Thank you all who commented such nice things on here. I wasn’t aware of this post until a member on the page brought it to my attention. I wish I could have caught it earlier and put a stop to any misunderstandings. In the future, if anyone on here has any issues with something I’ve done or am doing, send me a personal message and let’s talk about it. It’s sickening to see some of the comments left on my social media pages some days. Just a few weeks ago someone had left a comment on my Instagram account stating “Go Die Rob”. Now isn’t that just a lovely message to wake up to in the morning. Let’s all be better people and start finding the positive things in life to comment on. After all, it’s just a fish! We are a small community of people who love spending time on the water catching fish. In my opinion, that’s pretty cool, which makes us all pretty cool!

Keep your line’s tight and your head’s above water and stay safe out there!

Cheers,

FishinMagician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Great reply Rob , and congrats again !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:37 pm 
Walleye Master

Congrats on an amazing fish and an even greater long story. It is too bad some people have to pee in someone's corn flakes just because they are jealous. Just don't let them stop you from posting. For everyone one of them, there a heck of a lot more people who really enjoy your posts but you don't hear them. Too many other great anglers have quit sites like this because of the few that ruin it for everybody else.

As for the way you make the fish look bigger in the pictures, everyone should know the technique by now. There shouldn't be any surprises anymore. But you still need to catch them for a picture and your point being the actual size is stated and that it's about the fish says it all.

You sure caught great fish! You fish hard and deserved it. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:41 am 
Jumbo Perch

I’m usually pretty sceptical with some big fish but once I seen who the angler was holding the fish I had no doubt it was the real deal. Amazing fish. I’ve been on the other end with a big ice walleye and had people doubting it so I know both sides. Congrats on a truly huge whale. Or walleye.

banner ad