banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quinte help for Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:06 am 
Goby

Hey everyone, I’m new here and this is my first post. Some of my friends and myself want to make the drive up there really soon to try for Walleye. I was wondering what the best places to sleep are, rough idea on guide costs, and if we don’t use a guide I’d like some possible spot suggestions or just some tips. I’ve just been told that if you don’t know the bay that you’ll need a guide to put you on the fish. Thanks in advance everyone! :D . I hear good things about ice fishing big Walleye here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:57 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Welcome to the Form,

If you've never fished the Bay and your only coming up occasionally, then a Charter is probably a good idea.

Might be getting a little late in the season for a boat charter this year. You'll have to Google fishing charters for the Bay of Quinte and contact some to see about costs and availability.

The ice on the Bay can be real sketchy and may be hard to plan a trip around. Again, Google for ice fishing charters and see what they offer.

If you want the thrill of a big fish, then I think a fall charter is your best bet. Some have accomodation available.

Fishing here from spring through the summer is good, I like a couple of weeks after the opener. Don't have to deal with crowds at the ramps and it's a bit warmer.

If you go earlier in the season, you can follow the boats to the fish. Hay Bay and the mouth of the Napanee River are hot spots. Someone else may be able to help you with the Belleville, Trenton area.

I like a worm harness and bottom bouncer. I just use plastic twister tails on the harness. Everyone has their favorite colour. I like chartreuse or brown.

If your doing your own trip you can find places to stay on line. I like Trivago but there's others. Napanee is a good place to stay. Close to the fishing and lots of choices for food and accomodation. The motels are quite nice.

So, I guess if your doing a one time, looking for big fish adventure, I'd do a fall charter.

If you and your friends want to come up in the warm weather and try it on your own, that's certainly doable.

If there's anything else I can help you with, send me a P.M. or email.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm 
Goby

Thank you for that reply! My friends and I are planning on doing an ice fishing trip, but a possible fall trip next year is certainly a good idea too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

are you looking for ice fishing or open water though?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:20 pm 
Goby

bubblebuster wrote:
are you looking for ice fishing or open water though?

Ice fishing my friend!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

for ice fishing. call County Shores. 613 476 7290. its located in by deseronto near 49 and 15. call him and ask if his parking lot is open. just keep checking in with him and once his lot is open you can pay 5$ to park there and then venture out with a spud. walk streight out. keep to the right of the marker thats out there. keep going till you find 15 fow. theres a ledge out there where it goes from about 22 fow to 15 fow. set up on 15 fow. its a hot spot. if you dont have a flasher just jig with a buck shot tipped with a minnow. if you have a flasher use a flashy spoon, lipless crank or vibrato to draw them in then drop the buckshot, pimple, champ, jigging rap or whatever other fast falling bait and get them to bite. set up out there before the sun comes up, so just before light. fish till about 930 or 10am then go in. that areas not too good in the evening but you could try it again starting at 3pm till dark. this is a spot where some of the guides will take you, i can promise you that. just make sure you get out to that 15 fow ledge, thats what you call 'the spot on the spot'.
if you have navionics app on your phone you can see the hump thats out there and set up on it. just be early because other locals will be wanting that hot spot too.
a second hot area for early ice is trident point. its also called marker Q42. its in big bay basically. free parking along the side of the road. again if you have the navionics app you can see that hump out there. you dont always need to fish right on the hump, and there will be a lot of people around there. fish south west of the marker in about 22 fow. same technique. but honestly, just go to County Shores, its a great spot.
use airbnb to find a place to stay. the motels are far too expensive. best place to buy minnows is either pro tackle or the cheapest place ive seen is in deseronto on Bayshore Rd just east of hwy 49. its on the south side of the road. its like 4 or 5 $ cash per dozen and you get more than just a dozen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:02 pm 
Goby

Thank you, I certainly appreciate your advise! I’ll do what you say and hopefully we will catch some big eyes. I currently don’t have a flasher. I’m looking into buying a helix 5 or 7, but they are currently out of stock on basspro. I wanted to buy there because I could just do the 6 payments, one every 30 days. Thanks again for the info!

banner ad