Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Deseronto ice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 am 
Walleye

Gave Deseronto a look Sunday afternoon. A few people seen fishing close-ish to shore in 10-12ft. One tent seen way out north/west side just off of Foresters. Walked out from the launch...black black ice, followed the cracks to gauge the ice, a good 5 inches at least. You come to a big pressure crack running east-west from say the point off the yacht club straight across. Ice was pretty sketchy at the crack but found a decent spot to cross. Ice was considerably thinner on the other side. Between 3 and 4 inches. More guys came out around 3-3:30 and set up further out. I was in 16ft, marked perch till dark. Had one good mark just around sun down but that was it.

Post subject: Re: Deseronto ice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:09 pm 
Walleye Angler

I saw 2 huts straight out from the launch and one near the island on Monday afternoon..

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:03 pm 
Walleye Fry

Might have been me by the island if you mean near the yacht club in a red hut? Drove up from Paris, fished all day. Hundreds of perch, some 11-12 inches. But I did not keep anything. Saw two small walleye on my Aqua Vu near dark. 10-12 inchers at most. They seemed afraid of the Mepps Cyclopse I was jigging. Saw one sunfish and nothing else aside from perch. Still fun and a great fishery. In front of CFB over to the yacht club the ice was cracked, but solid. Drilled 8 inches most spots and had my quad all over it without issue. She was cracking and popping like gunshots though and a couple of the cracks made me pucker a bit as they rippled past my pop up.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:00 pm 
Walleye

KennyT759 wrote:
Might have been me by the island if you mean near the yacht club in a red hut? Drove up from Paris, fished all day. Hundreds of perch, some 11-12 inches. But I did not keep anything. Saw two small walleye on my Aqua Vu near dark. 10-12 inchers at most. They seemed afraid of the Mepps Cyclopse I was jigging. Saw one sunfish and nothing else aside from perch. Still fun and a great fishery. In front of CFB over to the yacht club the ice was cracked, but solid. Drilled 8 inches most spots and had my quad all over it without issue. She was cracking and popping like gunshots though and a couple of the cracks made me pucker a bit as they rippled past my pop up.

More like here

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 pm 
Walleye Master

Don't be "that guy"... There is a reason why most of us seasoned vets only post once and a while, these days.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:32 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

That can be a real dangerous spot in front of the island. You can have good ice and then nothing. Be very careful.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 pm 
Walleye Fry

I think I am confused as the which island you meant. I was between Bain park and the point off CFB. I think it is just a regular marina near that point there. As for being that guy, if the reference was to me, I spudded everywhere first and never had a single issue.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:24 am 
Walleye Wisdom

The map shows Forester island off Deseronto. There can be a real strong current that runs east to west along the side facing Bayshore Rd. (north).

Back when we use to actually get ice, I'd fish on 6 inches and the next morning the spud would go through with one hit.

It's a big area too, maybe half the size of a football field.

I may have missed something in the story, I was going by the picture.

The east end of the island gets better ice but I'd still be real careful.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 pm 
Walleye

Yeah this is Deseronto, not Trenton. I should restate I only SAW someone out fishing that area. Seemed pretty brave to me as that is usually one of the last and first areas to have open water.

I was maybe 80 yards straight south from the large pressure crack, as stated, running east-west off Yacht Club Ln.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:35 pm 
Walleye

Gone Fish'in wrote:
Don't be "that guy"... There is a reason why most of us seasoned vets only post once and a while, these days.

Good job mr seasoned vet, people don't appreciate ice reports anyways. Also try that line at Timmies for 10% off your morning coffee too :wink:

banner ad
banner ad