Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:33 am 
Baitfish

Any of you guys chum for walleye?
Not the dump a bucket of salted minnow trick for trout.
More a bag or tube of home made attractant to bring in the bait fish? Pretty common salt water tactic.
Read the regs and it's legal. Just wondering as I've never seen it done on the ice.
Jim.

Post subject: Re: Chum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:57 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I've never chummed for walleye.
Down the Reach the walleye don't seem to mill around. They cruise through in the evening for about an hour or two and then they don't seem to be around. Show up in a swarm then gone.
Not sure where they go but they don't hang around.
I hear they do a repeat in the morning but I've never fish the morning.
Would be interesting to know where they hang out for the other 20 hours. If they stayed in one spot, that would be the place to fish.
Be interested to know how your chum works out if you do it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:32 am 
Baitfish

Well the Missus certainly wasn't happy with the smell or the nasty mess in the food processor. Not going to have time till next week after work to give it a try.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:45 am 
Walleye Angler

that's going to be an expensive walleye

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:47 am 
Walleye

In Australia they use it in saltwater and they call it "burleigh". I read about it for ice fishing a while back and used it maybe once. You can make a quick home made rig with a weight and a plastic medicine bottle or vitamin bottle. Drill a bunch of 3 or 4 mm. holes in the bottle plus one hole through the lid. Put oatmeal, breadcrumbs, flour, a dog food pellet or two, or whatever into the medicine bottle. Thread some old fishing through the hole in the lid. tie on a bell sinker or a steel washer. Put the lid on the bottle. Drop it down the hole and bang the bottle off the bottom for a minute or two. The trouble is on B of Q in any places (Deseronto, Long Reach) you may be chumming the hole of the guys who are downstream of you by a hundred metres or so.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:55 am 
Walleye Angler

Clear clean mason jar (as clear and and smooth as possible), punch holes in the lid, tie line around jar, scoop up lake water, drop in minnows, screw on lid, drop down hole let live bait do the job for ya. Pisses the fish off they can't get to the bait and entertaining to watch on camera. And keeps your bait fresh.

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Lol, Quite the work making that chum. One trick I heard of for midday bright sunny conditions, when no snow on the ice, is crumpled egg shells. I guy who used to frequent this board said he would collect all his egg shells in a jar in the fridge then crush them all up and as he was fishing would sprinkle some down the hole every once in a while. Apparently glitters as it slowly falls.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:42 am 
Walleye Angler

I've used salted minnows as chum on Simcoe for perch.

Bob

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am 
Baitfish

Yep. Read about the egg shells and jarred minnows. Also heard sprinkling rice. Then posts about lateral line receptors reacting to salts and oils. Lots of posts of using different chums for ling, trout, big catfish. It's a sound theory, keep the baitfish close and predators will follow. I froze mine in the surplus beer cans I had so it shouldn't dissipate really fast. I'm hoping the oil trail brings in whatever is down current. Going to video it in a couple weeks with my buddy. Next week I'll take a picture of my helix screen before and then 30 min after it soaks to see if the bait comes in.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am 
Minnow

I have also done this many times on Lake Simcoe actually everytime I fish simcoe for perch ,whitefish or lake trout.
For perch even in 28 foot water you put a bunch of minnows live in a plastic bowl give them a couple of shakes a couple of spins "gently so you don't kill them" throw them in and the fun begins most times. They usually go right to the bottom and swim around all stunned, in shallow water its pretty exciting to watch the perch go nuts fighting over all the minnows, drop your line and you know the rest. White fish and lake trout are the same but you cannot visually see the action unless you have a fish finder or camera. I've caught many fish with their mouth and stomachs full of minnows from using this technique.
I have never tried it on the bay of Quinte, but I do like that clear jar with the minnows.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 pm 
Goby

I have used eggshells and rice. They have worked better for me for perch than walleyes.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

let me know how that works Jim looks like a good idea then we will go fishing together lol

chris

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Roblin wrote:
I've never chummed for walleye.
Down the Reach the walleye don't seem to mill around. They cruise through in the evening for about an hour or two and then they don't seem to be around. Show up in a swarm then gone.
Not sure where they go but they don't hang around.
I hear they do a repeat in the morning but I've never fish the morning.
Would be interesting to know where they hang out for the other 20 hours. If they stayed in one spot, that would be the place to fish.
Be interested to know how your chum works out if you do it.

Mornings and evenings are def the prime time but the thing I like about quinte is walleye are catchable all day long. I wanna try the minnows in a jar thing. Just for fun.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Agree with the earlier post that it is too hard to do on Quinte unless you are going to try it in Big Bay as there is a lot less current.
Anywhere else and you're chumming is going way down stream, too much current in most areas. IMO

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:01 am 
Walleye Angler

Think the minnows in a clear jar might work,,always wanted to try it but never got around to it...

banner ad