Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: General Motors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:13 pm 
Perch

Can't agree with that at all . Shutting down big plants like that hurts too many other people . It's a huge loss of tax revenue and "someone" has to make up that loss . Many small business would close as well . We need to be fully informed about the "snowball " effect . The government rakes in a lot of tax from all those jobs . We lose half our paycheck now to taxes .....20% HST anyone ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 am 
Walleye Angler

But we lost them anyway.....
Government should not be in the business of propping up poor businesses...

Bob

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:16 pm 
Walleye

The best way to wrap up everything going on with Gm(Greedy Motors) is nothing short of corporate greed!!! The prices of vehicles do not change wheather they are made here in Canada or in Mexico. Wheather employees are paid $30 an hour or $2hr. Gm wants to build as many vehicles in Mexico as possible only to improve their bottom line. Thats it!!! Oshawas plant is their most decorated plant it has won over 27 J.D. Power awards for quality. I don’t honestly see why they would close their best plant and keep worse producing plant open. That makes no sense. So quality doesn’t matter to GM. Only $$$$!!! Gm has stated that half of the 2500 employees are eligible to retire. But the true number is there is only about 600 employees that have 30 years + and can retire with their full pensions. There is a good number of employees that 25-29 years but they will loose a lot of their pension to leave early...not that the general public really care. But if you are one of those employees...YOU would want to leave with YOUR full pension. A lot has been written that the Oshawa plant is only running at 30-40% capacity and that is due to mismanagement on the corporate level. If Oshawas plant was running at full potential they would have about 5000 employees there. Corporate has decided long ago that they would run this plant at less then peak production levels. Oshawa has the ability to run cars, trucks and SUVs out of the same plant. They are the ONLY plant that had that ability!! It is a state of the art plant. That is under utilized!!! Why???? Because Gm wants to move more and more production to Mexico. Why??? Very cheap labour and very little environmental limitations....pollution what’s that!!!! I completely understand when people have no compassion for workers there....people say overpaid, lazy and people can’t wrap their minds around the benefits!!! But here’s a question I would ask those people. Would you turn down the wages and benefits???? Especially from a company that maked almost $150 Billion last year with a CEO that made $21 million last year!! Who wouldn’t want a cut of the pie!!!! The jobs aren’t easy....being on the line for 8 hrs a day, installing the exact same parts, the manontaney drives a lot of people out the door.....having less then 90 seconds to do a job and turn around grab parts for the next job coming to you is a busy work environment!!! I know I would want my cut of the pie!!! There will be 2500 jobs loss in Oshawa and with the spinoff jobs that will climb to over 24,000 in a few years. Just so Greedy Motors can make a few more Billion. Now back to the original OPs ???? No I will not ever buy another GM vehicle again if they leave Oshawa...I have owned 8 Gm vehicles and nothing else. But that will change. Gm wants to screw over Canadians that bailed them out when they needed it most....and this is the thanks they give us in return!!! I say screw you GM!!!! Sorry for the long rant....but that is just my opinion!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:52 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Smerch....My sister is going to lose her job. and so will a lot of the good people at the trickle down parts manufacturers regardless of the boycott. If GM closes they are done anyway. I'm a pro union guy but this ones over. No GM for me

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

The government bail out is the kick in the nuts for the average Canadian. Obviously people with ties to the plant it hits harder so don’t blame you for boycotting. It’s a tough call for me because I don’t like the closing but also understand that a corporation’s job is to make money. That may be cold but it’s true and if you own any stocks/mutual funds or even plan on collecting CPP it’s “cold hearted” decisions like this that allows your savings to grow 5%+ a year.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 pm 
Perch

There's a lot of discontent about GM for sure . Some of the GM retirees I know drive Toyotas & Hondas for various reasons ,but mostly because pensions were gutted in 2010 . I wouldn't even consider buying a new vehicle now . My Astro van is 21 yrs. old & the "shopping car" is 13 yrs. old . If I had a much larger income I would be buying a F-150 4x4 ....not a Mexican GM product. When I entered the work force back in the early 60's , well paying jobs were plentiful ....lots of manufacturing plants here & there was a slogan , "buy Canadian" ...and we lived a good Canadian life . Then , the corporations decided to go Global because anything could be made cheaper in Asia , and governments allowed it ti happen . We will never compete with slave wages & communist countries . We may soon be able to buy a cheaper e.v., made in China by ....G.M. And .....we have the robots which will eat up millions of jobs . They are using them now to fill pot holes . :?

banner ad
banner ad