Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:11 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:50 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Fishing derby on Beaver Lake today. 20 inches of ice and people driving everywhere.

Someone manage to drive onto thin ice around the narrows between the north and south lake. Truck sunk but sounds like everyone OK.

I was there about 8 yrs ago for a truck that went through. A company from North Bay did the recovery. Quite a show.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:58 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Curious.

Have we ever had a Link about the reactions of Insurance Cos. to claims for Sunk Trucks?

Suspect we already have 'The Answer' to whether they'd be willing to cover... or NOT.

Some of the attempted 'Justifications' might be hilarious reading.

Rgds, WorDpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:39 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Personally, I don't drive anything on the ice.

I was curious about insurance. I heard two things that I wanted to check.
One was coverage for a vehicle going through the ice.
The second was boats having to be out of the water before winter.

Called my broker.
I was told that in both cases, if the insurance doesn't specifically state no coverage, then your covered.

Here's the link for the towing company and the video is the Beaver Lake recovery, https://www.bartlettstowing.com/ice-lake-recovery

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:11 am 
Walleye Angler

Note at the end of the video they say to keep the windows open and seat belt off... I was taught to keep seat belt off and tokeep the doors open slightly so if the vehicle starts to drop open the doors which will spread the weight as well as to allow you to jump out onto solid ice.

Big thing that effects the ice is the speeding vehicles. Fast moving vehicles on the ice creates a wake which pops any pressure crack to open up.

Have a safe and fun icefishing season

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:40 am 
Walleye

Wordpecker wrote:
Curious.

Have we ever had a Link about the reactions of Insurance Cos. to claims for Sunk Trucks?

Suspect we already have 'The Answer' to whether they'd be willing to cover... or NOT.

Some of the attempted 'Justifications' might be hilarious reading.

Rgds, WorDpecker

I went through years ago on Shermans point. I was 20 yards off shore when I went through. There must have been 50 trucks already out there. I just hit the wrong spot I guess.
My insurance covered everything including a very good price when my truck was wrote off because the tow truck driver bent the front end because he pulled it up with the wheels turned and the wheels basically did the spilts. The engine was fine but the frame was bent and twisted.
They told me you can claim once for this, if you do it again you're just an idiot and you're on your own

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:53 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I imagine once would be enough for most people. Glad you made out OK.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Had this picture sent to me. This is the narrows on Beaver Lake.

Below

Last edited by Roblin on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Had this picture sent to me. This is the narrows on Beaver Lake. The entire Salmon River flows through this gap.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Wow; call us completely dumbfounded (worse if some prefer).

Never in a million years would you think an Insurance Company (not notorious for generosity) hands over serious bucks to anyone driving an expensive vehicle out on frozen water - in any circumstance except possibly an emergency...

...close your eyes; picture The Call to Broker/Agent: "Hi, I just sank my Truck."

In our mind, after lengthy pause the response goes something like... "...Sorry, for a minute we thought you said you SANK your Truck??" (Followed by an extremely weak attempt at a chuckle.)

Hard to believe money was handed over!~

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:42 am 
Walleye Angler

I was told a 4 wheel drive truck ( classed as off road ) is covered with a car you risk being denied.
My boat insurance Premier Marine requires lay up Nov 30 till Mar 30. I tried to buy an extension till Dec15 close of Muskie season and was told no exceptions. A friend with a different company payed $43 for a 2 week extention which didn't cover freezing or ice damage.I had another friend with Premier who was unaware his boat worth well over $100,000 was not covered the last 2 weeks of the season. Best to read your policy thoroughly.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:52 am 
Walleye

horsehunter wrote:
I was told a 4 wheel drive truck ( classed as off road ) is covered with a car you risk being denied.
My boat insurance Premier Marine requires lay up Nov 30 till Mar 30. I tried to buy an extension till Dec15 close of Muskie season and was told no exceptions. A friend with a different company payed $43 for a 2 week extention which didn't cover freezing or ice damage.I had another friend with Premier who was unaware his boat worth well over $100,000 was not covered the last 2 weeks of the season. Best to read your policy thoroughly.

Exactly, read your policy thoroughly!

banner ad
banner ad