Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:00 am 
Guppy

Hey gang.

Just signed up to the board this morning. Thought I would say hello. I've been lurking for a while now, doing some research and reading your reports.

I'm from Barrie, and will be coming to BOQ for the first time this Wednesday. Might sound crazy, but we are planning to winter camp on the ice in a big double wide hut. Foam floors, and 2 heaters ( a Hunting Buddy, and a Big Buddy). We have cots, and winter sleeping bags. I think we will be OK. but it's supposed to be pretty cold at night, so we will see how that works!!

I have a couple generic questions for you guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We plan on fishing off huffs. I know there's a field you can park in for $5 a day. Do you think they will care if I leave the truck there over night? And if it gets really really cold, or something crappy happens, does anyone know of a cheap hotel/motel in the area?

I run a Yamaha bravo, I am assuming there is plenty of ice in the area to run it? I realize the current there can make the ice inconsistent. I really just want it to shuttle my gear back in forth to my truck. I don't plan on running all over the bay.

The plan is to set up the big hut as a base camp. Then tour around a little bit during the day with my flip over. Do a little exploring around Shermans, and hay bay.

Might sound odd, but my family has been around Napanee for a long long time, when the first came to this country many generations ago. But have actually never been Napanee before. My last name is Wagar, and I have some cousins with cottages on the BOQ. So hopefully I can turn this in to an annual thing. Maybe even get to know a few guys on here! I used to do an anual overnight trip on Calandar Bay, but the limits and slot sizes up there are killing it for me. Time for something new!

Anyways, thanks for reading! I can't wait to get down there!! These next 2 days are going to pass so slowly!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:24 am 
Walleye Angler

Welcome aboard and good luck. In Napanee on Hwy 2 (Dundas st ) there are a couple motels to use if needed. I would leave a note on your truck in a sandwich bag directing them to your hut or a cell number in the event there is a parking issue but you should be fine. Good luck..

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:59 am 
Walleye

Hello, welcome to the forum. Sounds like u have a real game plan to target some Quinte gold. If your firm on Huffs and Sherman's area or not, Sunset cottages r just about 15 min. from Huffs in Northport. The fish have been biting in the area and trophy size as well. Mark is a great guy and also has huts out right in front of my house. But from here u can access lots of prime fishing areas like big bay and the narrows by ice and a short drive to Huffs by road. Good luck and enjoy ur time on Quinte.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

Welcome!
Ice should be good for your sled. Lots of sleds and four wheelers out around Huffs last weekend. But be careful around some of the points, shoals and current spots. Shermans can be bad around the shoal. Stay away from deseronto area.
Good luck.
Let us know how the ice camp works out!

Bob

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the board,
Sounds like a fun weekend and hope the heat is enough to keep ya warm. I cant tell you the ice is safe however I was there last thursday and there was 5-7" of ice which I would be comfortable with using a sled. As you pointed out conditions are aver changing so keep up on checking the ice. I dont think the guy will have any problems with your truck staying overnight. In terms of a place to stay there is an advertiser of this forum in Napanee " Twin peaks" motel, very resonable and clean. Heres the link http://www.twinpeaksmotel.com/ good luck and let us know how you made out staying overnight. My buddy has a big tent and does sound like fun

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:24 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Just checked the weather again. -20 wed night. -18 thursday. Wind gusts to 50km/hr.

Yikes! It sure will be an adventure!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:51 pm 
Walleye

Welcome. Sounds like a great trip. Good luck and make sure you keep your hut well ventilated at night.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:43 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Welcome! And thanks for such an entertaining Post.

Personally we think that's a terrific Idea.

However... with that Chill Factor, seriously complicated by constantly high Winds and Gusts, and the fact you'll be hanging your Butts out there with ZERO protection, we'd feel much better if you were able to hold off The Event just a Day or Two longer.

IF things did go wrong, and you had to Bail in conditions like those, it would NOT be easy to do.

It could also impact badly on your Team's plans for Future Years; which we'd love to see happen.

Rgds, Wordpecker.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:34 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Welcome. Your sure full of piss and vinegar. Sounds like an excellent adventure.

If it's making ice you'll have lots of thumping and banging going on. Might want earplugs. Kidding.

Nice motels in Napanee. Less expensive ones are on Dundas St. (#2).

I'll PM you the phone number for the lady who owns the field. Nice lady, should be fine for over night.

I would be real cautious exploring the ice on and ATV. The ice is really inconsistant around the bay. Lot's of currents that effect the ice thickness.

Let us know how you make out.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 am 
Guppy

DRILLIN N CHILLIN wrote:
Welcome. Sounds like a great trip. Good luck and make sure you keep your hut well ventilated at night.

Running CO detectors, and keeping a top vent open. Plus the big buddy has a CO shut off sensor, which I know works, because it shuts off on my periodically.

Definitely high on my list of concerns.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:36 am 
Guppy

Wordpecker wrote:
Welcome! And thanks for such an entertaining Post.

Personally we think that's a terrific Idea.

However... with that Chill Factor, seriously complicated by constantly high Winds and Gusts, and the fact you'll be hanging your Butts out there with ZERO protection, we'd feel much better if you were able to hold off The Event just a Day or Two longer.

IF things did go wrong, and you had to Bail in conditions like those, it would NOT be easy to do.

It could also impact badly on your Team's plans for Future Years; which we'd love to see happen.

Rgds, Wordpecker.

Thanks very much for your concern! I am also very worried about the conditions as well. That being said, I'm an ardent outdoors man and highly trained volunteer Search and Rescue tech. So my threshold for things like this will be a little higher then the average person. I've done over night trips on the ice in -35 and howling winds a few times in Nippissing. I actually really enjoy all the popping and banging. Hearing the ice is part of the excitement.!

The reality is, I am ready to pull the plug on camping and get a hotel if things are out of my comfort zone.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:36 am 
Walleye Master

May be an obvious thing but make sure your hut is vented overnight. With two heaters running and sleeping you run a large risk of co2 poisoning or similar, if you’re asleep you won’t notice the affects, you’d just never wake up.

Be safe, sounds like a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:39 am 
Guppy

Roblin wrote:
Welcome. Your sure full of piss and vinegar. Sounds like an excellent adventure.

If it's making ice you'll have lots of thumping and banging going on. Might want earplugs. Kidding.

Nice motels in Napanee. Less expensive ones are on Dundas St. (#2).

I'll PM you the phone number for the lady who owns the field. Nice lady, should be fine for over night.

I would be real cautious exploring the ice on and ATV. The ice is really inconsistant around the bay. Lot's of currents that effect the ice thickness.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the contact info! That's awesome!

I am a wimp when it comes to running my machine on the ice. So based on the mixed reports on ice conditions, I will likely just find a safe route in and out to my hut, and pretty much limit my travel to that.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:01 pm 
Minnow

Good luck!
Look forward to post “Camp” post!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:18 pm 
Walleye Catcher

"The reality is, I am ready to pull the plug on camping and get a hotel if things are out of my comfort zone."

Alrighty! That makes us feel a LOT better about your circumstances. Thanks for explaining, and best of luck if you proceed. We'll be watching (in anticipation of great news).

Rgds, Wordpecker.

banner ad