Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:34 am 
Perch

Been fishing BOQ for a couple of decades and noticed certain wind direction are better for fishing (Bite) than others, summer, fall and winter, I don't fish much in the spring other than opening day.
Typically anything East wind is bad for catching. Below are my observations... what are are your experiences?
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being a good bite day

North East - 4
East - 3
South East - 1
North West - 8
West - 10
South West - 6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

When you say the wind direction do you mean that the wind is coming from that direction or blowing to that direction? for example NE wind. is the wind coming from the NE or blowing to the NE?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I agree that a westward wind is better fishing. Quite often I skip fishing an east wind and do the things I should have done when a west wind was blowing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm 
Minnow

East is least is an old saying but I will say it is closer to "fact". If wind is blowing east I usually skip fishing. If you keep records you will be shocked how poor an east wind is and it does not matter if it is summer or winter. Now do I think all is related solely to physical direction wind is blowing.. no, I think that when the wind blows east there are other factors that fall into play that are associated with this wind direction,,,, ie. low pressure system in summer, cold damp, unsettled whether etc.

Anything west is good with east and south east probably the worst. A strong North wind in summer with dropping temperatures is not the best either but better than an east wind.

You really notice it on lake Ontario if you are a salmon fisherman when the east wind blows you might as well not leave the dock. Now am I saying you can't catch a fish.. no just that you may end up catching only 10% of what you may have caught if the wind was not blowing from the East.

When I discuss this with other fisherman, I hear from those who track such as guides as a strong affirmative and for those who don't track so close , they often have no idea. A great reason to keep records when you are fishing.
Tight lines

Shawn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm 
Perch

Bbb, yes the direction of the wind blowing from...
I'm bringing up this topic because I wanted to head out on Sunday but a NE wind is predicted. Monday is a West wind (better), however I can only get out on Sunday.
With just 2 more weekends left I have no choice so will be fishing a NE wind on Sunday.

C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:21 pm 
Walleye Master

I'm surprised with the results with a Northwest wind. North/Northwest typically means cold front.