Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Long reach
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:02 pm 
Walleye

My brother in law and his good buddy rob were at again today of course I am stuck at work will see about tomorrow lol. So we found this spot or should I say I found it useing navonics and we have been fishing it since the 3rd week of January and wow we have pulled out over 100 walleye that’s when we lost count and today was no exception for them iceing 12 and keeping 7 this cold front has got them turned on what we have always found with quinte hard water is If you find a spot where you are catching a couple try it for couple of days if nothing then move on if you are catching walleye stay put it just seems as if its a natural highway now you might go a day or 2 where your only bring up fingerlings or 1or2 pounders but the big boys and girls will come cold fronts play a big part of Quinte hard water the first day or 2 of cold front will lock jaw them up but as the cold front continues and stabilizes the bite is on now this year for lure choice and colour has been original mr champ gold and Williams wabbler gold and slab grabber gold but half to modify for treble hook as it only has single hook the flutter action of the slab grabber works so well and what can I say about the original mr champ just classic on quinte hard water. Its been great season one more fish left good luck everyone on your last day of the hard water of the bay of quinte.

Post subject: Re: Long reach
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:20 am 
Walleye Angler

that's quite the run on sentence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 pm 
Walleye

only allowed 4 fish in your possession, must eat alot of fish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:59 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

2 people there,they are 1 short of there count.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:09 pm 
Walleye

I know what the limit is. You are also only allowed 4 in freezer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:47 pm 
Walleye

Fisher18 wrote:
I know what the limit is. You are also only allowed 4 in freezer.

4 total possession...as in fish you just caught + your fish at home in the freezer. I think that's what you meant but just clarifying.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:50 pm 
Walleye

Slow day today with only having 9 fingerling one day we get them one day we don’t.The 3 of us have had awesome ice season. We know what the regulations are and yes we do eat a lot of fish if you want to call 7 fish fry’s over a 2month period is a lot then sure bud. We don’t spring fish or summer fish or fall fish for walleye are thing is ice fishing and quinte is 10min from are back door. We would never keep that many fish.We do have family members that love to eat walleye that can’t get out anymore because of old age. I am sharing info from what we have expience this season.Last ice season it was different macho minnows all colours and Jig and raps were the go to lures.But will always stand that when you catch a couple your always going to catch them in that spot we got 6 spots from huffs down to hay bay and we fish them every ice season and what ever produces better we stay there for the rest of the ice season.sucks it’s all over with now time to head north for crappie and splake until the ice is gone. until next ice season have good one

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:55 am 
Walleye

Sounds like great season fella congrats! I only made it 3 times caught some fish enjoyed every minute!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:42 pm 
Walleye

Stupid question how do modify your slab grabbers with treble hooks?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:07 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Quick'n easy answer:
Part One - use pliers to remove single hook, then add treble hook same way, perhaps employing nail file to open gap.

Part Two - leave single hook on; but slip a treble hook 'Stinger' on it. In our experience this method catches more fish, but can make one Hector of a Mess of a Net, if you had simultaneous hookups on more than one Fish.

Rgds, Wordpecker.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:00 am 
Walleye

takes about 20min just use lighter to heat solder scrape it off use small drill bit to drill out. You will be left with bare metal spot where you heat it.I just use wifes nail polish lol or just use paint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:05 am 
Walleye

Great report ! thanks for some great info.
I had a spot like you speak of for 2 years it produced quality fish consistently , and the last 2 years only produced a couple fish. Not sure what changed but hopefully they are back next year .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:34 pm 
Walleye

thanks for the tips

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:00 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Great intel and I appreciate your modification efforts. My question is do you fish whole minnows or just minnow heads? If whole minnows, how do you hook them? Finally, what are your favorite calling and triggering sequences?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:16 pm 
Walleye

Whole 2 mud minnows if useing spoons hooked just in front of tail calling baits head and bit of body front hook only.Triggering sequences first off must have is sonar followed by slow release to the bottom so you don’t miss anything on the fall once at bottom let it be because your minnows are still alive lure off bottom hook of bottom minnows to kick around bottom this is when sonar becomes important. when minnows have expired 2 3 inches off bottom slow twitch twitch pause slow twitch twitch pause 30 seconds to one minute repeat all wrist action never high lifts we find it does more harm then good and this is the same for calling baits.when walleye are coming in above your lure agin the importance of sonar slow reeling and rod action becomes into play as you are slowly reeling up bounce tip of rod don’t twitch bounce medium action rod work the best if go any lighter you won’t have the back bone to set the hook.

banner ad