Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shingles Vaccine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:00 am 
Walleye Wisdom

This subject relates to fishing as I got shingles and missed the last two weeks, of ice fishing.

Picked up shingles in the middle of February. No rash, just hot itchy skin. This went on for about 5 days and then I got the rash.

Went to the hospital and was diagnosed and put on antivirals. Would have been better to have been diagnosed and treated sooner but I didn't know what is was.

Into week 3 now and no real inprovement. Several trips to emerg. in the wee hours for serious pain killers. I'm hoping it'll break soon but don't know if and when. Dr. says that sometimes residual pain lasts for a long time after the rash is gone.

Shingles is bad stuff and if you haven't had the pleasure, seriously consider the vaccine.

Man, I hope this goes away soon.

Post subject: Re: Shingles Vaccine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:49 am 
Walleye

Hope you get well soon Roblin. Myself and I’m sure others here appreciate and rely on your posts.
I’ve had the vaccine, both versions as the first one was found to be less effective than expected. The second version (2 shots) is very powerful and kicks the crap out you for a couple days but hopefully worth it in the long run. Hope you’re much better by walleye opener and look forward to hearing from you when you’re back on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

I had the shot a couple years ago and still ended up with it however my symptoms were a walk in the park compared to what most people get. Just a light burning sensation and a small rash and some gut ache. Went away after 5 days. Dr told me now the chance of reoccurring is less than 5%. Get the shot of you're over 50. Hopefully Tonkin the worst is over.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:04 pm 
Jumbo Perch

The secret to avoiding many illness like this is to keep your immune system strong - when you get run down that is when diseases can get a hold of you - stress is another factor that causes your immune system to be compromised - best wishes -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:36 pm 
Walleye

JoePa wrote:
The secret to avoiding many illness like this is to keep your immune system strong - when you get run down that is when diseases can get a hold of you - stress is another factor that causes your immune system to be compromised - best wishes -

Sheesh....you been talking to my wife???? She's been nagging me for 50 years about not letting myself get run down and keeping my imune system up to par...

But it's true what Joe said.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 am 
Walleye

Sorry boys but shingles has nothing to do with your imune system. Get the shot it works and is free. Shingles is in every one of us it's a virus. It just needs a trigger and you have them and they are a terrible. Roblin sorry for what you are going through but it will go away watch those meds they are not good for you your body will produce enough natural pain killer you will make it through this but be very carful with pain killers!!! Every person should get the shingle vaccine at the age of 50 even if you already have had them but the vaccine must be kept cold so the script should be filled at a clinic with a pharmacy.The medication for treatment cost me over $900 a week and wasn't covered back then so I didn't get it. See those big crude tanks at Lennox Generating station I was sand blasting and painting them when I had them and I know what you are going through it SUCKS! Best wishes

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:56 am 
Jumbo Perch

Has nothing to do with the immune system? - where did you get that from - the virus that gives you shingles is the same as the chicken pox virus and most people have is virus in our body but our immune system keeps it in check - when our immune system is weakened the virus nails us

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

Mayo clinic quote "The reason for shingles is unclear. But it may be due to lowered immunity to infections as you grow older. Shingles is more common in older adults and in people who have weakened immune systems."

Secondly the shot is only free to those above age 65.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:51 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

mitch wrote:
Mayo clinic quote "The reason for shingles is unclear. But it may be due to lowered immunity to infections as you grow older. Shingles is more common in older adults and in people who have weakened immune systems."

Secondly the shot is only free to those above age 65.

and under the age of 70.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:29 pm 
Walleye Angler

I got the shingles years back just to prove how tough I was,when the Dr. told me I could get it again I paid for the shot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

ironically I was at the doc yesterday and she told me all the things I needed to start getting poked and prodded when I turn 50 this year. I asked about the shingles vaccine and she said to wait 10 more years as it's effectiveness wears off over time and the older you are when you get it, the worse the long term symptoms can be. So risk getting it in 50s and recovering, or get it at 75 and have worse, possibly permanent pain and symptoms.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:40 pm 
Walleye

JoePa wrote:
Has nothing to do with the immune system? - where did you get that from - the virus that gives you shingles is the same as the chicken pox virus and most people have is virus in our body but our immune system keeps it in check - when our immune system is weakened the virus nails us

Nope sorry it can be triggered from almost anything stress or a sudden jolt to the body you are right it is in all of us just like chicken pox immune system has nothing to do with it. all it needs is a trigger and yup I know two well! Get the shot! that info comes from Sick Children's Hospital Dr Clark

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

banner ad