Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Legend or Princecraft
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:49 am 
Walleye Fry

my buddy is looking at buying a boat and is trying to figure out why for the exact size and accessories is the princecraft roughly 5000 to 8000 more than the legend. so I thought I would ask the board members and see why.

thanks

Post subject: Legend or Princecraft
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:33 am 
Walleye Master

Nothing to say negative about legend other than they are a good boat but entry level. Princecraft builds an extremely good boat with better fit and finish. That being said it depends on what models your comparing as the entry level prince vs top end legend would be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:44 am 
Walleye Angler

Legend tends to under power their boats to build a more economical package. If you were to put a more suitably sized motor on the price would be much closer to Princecraft or other name brands. I have seen Legends where things were coming apart after 2 or 3 years don't know if it was the boat or the way and conditions they were used in. Some people seem to think their tin boat is an offshore racer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:54 am 
Walleye Fry

well the price comparison he is looking in the 40000$ range

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:14 am 
Walleye Angler

The boating industry is very competitive and you are pretty much going to get exactly what you pay for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 am 
Walleye

I'm on my third Princecraft (2 pro series and a pontoon). I priced Legend, Lund and Princecraft each time and my experience was that after you upgraded the Legend to the same standard as Lund or Princecraft there was minimal difference in price but real difference in quality. Unless this is your last new boat keep trade value in mind, my experience has been that the biggest price difference in brands is used value, you'll do a lot better when you've got a Princecraft of Lund to trade in or sell. Just my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

The difference is mostly in the powering of the boat, the legend is entry priced to get you in the door but is way underpowered. Once you up the size of the motor it nears the princecraft. I went through the same thing last year and ended up buying a Lowe because of personal preference and gave the 14yr old legend to my son. If your buddy can get a chance for a water test I encourage it to see what suits him best. especially when choosing the motor for the boat... Good luck and happy boating..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'm 36 years into my 16.5 ft tiller Princecraft. I considered buying a Legend during my purchase but when I looked at the gauge being used in both boats, my mind was set. 36 years without any issues speaks for itself IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:18 pm 
Walleye Fry

thanks for everything I will definitely let him know. hey walleyeone the motor he is looking at is the 115hp with that said is he better to go with princecraft because he is looking to buy now and with the hard water he cant test

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

What ever boat he buys make sure the motor is at LEAST 80% of the maximum rated horsepower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:51 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I had, Legend, Princecraft, Starcraft and Lund. Now have Alumacraft and super happy with it. I though it was good value and I was able to build it the way I wanted.

The Legend package was under powered and under trailered. If you built it so it matched the other manufactures packages, they were pretty evenly priced.

Make sure you shop and pay attention to detail. Years ago I was told to put on the highest powered motor the boat was rated for and that's good advise.

I think the same guy said a boat was just a hole in the water that you throw your money into. He was also right about that. If your going to do it, try to get it right first time. It'll cost you but you don't want be shy about getting it right.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Well since you asked...Princecraft all the way, Canadian made and a good local dealer. I don't think they get enough credit for their boats

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

I would go like everyone says max hp the boat is rated for,AS for princecraft its an is an excellent boat. I went with a Lowe simply because in the end of comparing two very similar boats, one new(Lowe) and the other one year old with 50 hrs (princecraft), on the extended warranty and financing rate offered by Lowe. I also looked at a Lund but it just didn't work for the family side of it for me. The 115hp motor is one up from the 90 which again took me to the next class of boat which I wasn't looking at going that big. Have your buddy take his time and talk with all the dealers. They love to talk boats And always negotiate everything including warranties..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:03 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Since we're talking $eriou$ Dollar$, and pretty much Everybody agrees Pricing is virtually Equal* when 'Matching Upgrades' are added, it makes sense to seriously consider Retained Value when approaching 'Trade-In Time'. *Something we were NOT aware of.

We've never heard anyone complain about Princecraft Reliability. Or Retained Value... IF you found anybody who lets a Princecraft go. There's also the 'Made in Canada' Factor to consider.

Due to fondness for our Local Smokercraft Dealer (J & P in Belleville), we've never owned one - BUT if buying elsewhere, it would undoubtedly be Princecraft.

Only a personal opinion, btw.

Rgds, Wordpecker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:38 am 
Walleye

Princecraft is the better boat don't waste your money and time on a Legend

banner ad