Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Redhorses in Kingston?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 pm 
Guppy

Hi all! New to the forum.

I go to Queen's in Kingston and I'm wondering if anyone knows of and is willing to share any spots for Silver/Golden/Shorthead Redhorse in the area. I've never caught any of these species and I'd really love to. I've done a bit of research and I'm thinking that the Kingston Mills area might be good.

Thanks for any help!

-Owen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:29 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I know the Moira river has a large population of red fin suckers if that's what you're referring too?

They should be spawning shortly in the creeks. As a kid, we'd net them in Brandon's Creek which is the creek that is close to Wal-Mart in Napanee and goes under 401, north to the falls near the good year rd.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:20 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for the info! And yeah, Redhorse = Redfin sucker. :) Might have to check that spot out next time I get driven either to or from Kingston from Toronto.

I only have a bike since I’m in university, so I was hoping for a more local spot, say within 10km of Kingston.

Does anyone have any experience fishing the river at Kingston Mills?

Cheers,

-Owen

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:40 pm 
Walleye

Yea I was going to say try Kingston mills. I caught one there(i think it was one of those) last spring before walleye opening. Right up at the top by the falls/generating station

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hope this helps a bit , basically all species nothing targeted
Shoreline Fishing around Kingston, Ontario
These are all within 15-20 minute drive (from downtown Kingston):
• The Collins Bay Pier off hwy 33 (Bath Rd just west of Collins Bay Rd) for LGM, Pike & carp. Also has a boat launch for small-med sized boats.
• Kingston Mills, top & bottom for Bass, Pike, carp, panfish & some crappie near the top.
Perch & Pike will do their spawning run up to the 1st lock. Perch have tended to be on the small side with the odd 8-10 incher.
Salmon will run up to the Power Station.
• 20 minute drive north on hwy 15 to the Lower Brewers Locks on the lower side for Pike, Bass, carp & panfish. Small boat launch on the north side.
• Dog Lake in Battersea. Take Montreal rd out of Kingston (turns into Battersea Road), into Battersea, over the small bridge, first right onto Wellington Street, follow 5 min to the end. You'll pass a public boat launch (called the Shipyards). Don't fish inside that small bay as its a Fish Sanctuary. At the end you can park your car at the turnaround and walk 5min through the pines to the point for Bass and Pike. Beautiful spot as the sun comes up, you’ll hear loons starting to cry...
• 30 Minute drive just NW of Sydenham at Gould Lake. This is a conservation area, please do visit the link for info. (Fee/permit parking.) Trails along both side of the lake allow you to hike in to a nice selection of Deep shoreline spots. Small/Largemouth bass and panfish. Canoe/kayak rentals available. This has become a new and favourite spot, scenic and quiet.
• Drive north on Division (turns into Perth Road) up to Opinicon Road (then drive east for a bit), or go further up to Buck Lake.
• 30 min drive from Kingston just past Gananoque off the 1000 Is. Parkway into Ivy Lea, fish off the immigration pier for Bass, Pike, Muskie, perch & Carp. Also on the parkway for nice perch early after ice-out. Good spots for bass, pike, catfish.
Google Maps is a great tool as well!

Lake Ontario near the KGH on King Street for Pike, some Bass, Perch and Carp.
The small bay next to the Dupont plant on Front Rd (King St. W.) for Pike, Carp & Bullhead.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:38 pm 
Guppy

Nice catch, @Jiggin4Things! You have a White Sucker there. If White Suckers like that are there then hopefully Redhorses are too. :)

@Tylercurt, thanks for the info but I am only interested in catching Redhorses. I’m a life-listing angler and I’ve yet to catch Golden Redhorse, Silver Redhorse, or Shorthead Redhorse. I see you’re from Amherstview. Do you know of any decent spots for suckers in the area?

Thanks again,

-Owen :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:41 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Owen , sorry I have never tried for them and wouldn't have a clue where to go , just figured the list might help some for area searches and where you can access the water, good luck in your search....

Tim

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:52 pm 
Guppy

No worries Tim, I appreciate the effort!

I’ve been trying to find larger, rock/gravel rivers on Google Maps and Kingston Mills seems to be the only spot here!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

Use to catch them all the time in Colin’s creek just west of Colin’s bay road. Take bath road west of Colin’s bay road. You will drive over the river make a right on Sycamore st then a quick right into Tamarac then quick left onto Rankin crescent. Follow it for about a hundred yards till it turns to the right.park right there where it turns. You walk up a little hill then down the other side to the river. There are good spots to the right through a trail through the bush or same to the left with a little more river. I use to catch some nice bows back in the day but there was always big red suckers everywhere first two weeks of April. Good luck.

Gord

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:28 pm 
Guppy

Awesome, thanks so much!!! You’re sure they weren’t White Suckers, right? I’ll have to go check the place out on Sunday. :)

Cheers,

Owen

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

It’s been a good ten plus years since I’ve been there Owen. I use to walk my labs there and I would see the red suckers in big groups. Little hole below a little dam if you walk to the left when you hit the river. You will see it. Use to steelhead and reds in there with the odd pike. If they still run it they should be there in the next two weeks I would imagine. Let me know how you make out if you go. I’m curious.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:17 am 
Guppy

Hey again everyone, does anyone have any updates as to the status of the sucker run this spring so far? Thinking about going out fishing on April 7th and wondering if this would be too early. Thanks for any help!

@Jiggin4Things, just curious, what was the exact date on that White Sucker (if you remember)? Thanks. :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:24 pm 
Walleye

Owen1020 wrote:
@Jiggin4Things, just curious, what was the exact date on that White Sucker (if you remember)? Thanks. :)

April 28th 2018 at 5:18pm according to the photo's data

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:37 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey Jiggingforstuff, I worked for Natural Resources for 4 years. Every spring we would use large fish traps in many locations on Lake Nippissing. We conducted trap netting surveys and caught many Redhorse suckers. That being said, I believe if you contacted the MNR in Napanee they could possibly tell you which lakes in the area have Redhorse suckers. They have most likely conducted similar trap netting surveys in local lakes over the years. I don’t imagine they would mine telling you where they are since the sucker is a coarse fish. Good Luck. BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:37 am 
Walleye Master

Millheaven creek or salmon river.. best bet would be to ride the city bus route 10 to amhersvteiw and bike from there.

banner ad
banner ad