Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cormorant Legislation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:00 am 
Walleye

The changes to regulations to allow the hunting of cormorants has yet to be put to a final vote. The control of cormorants has been endorsed by the Great Lakes Fisheries Commission and the OFAH. The birds are impacting Great Lakes fisheries and inland Lakes. There are also serious pollution issues, take a boat trip to Snake Island out front of the Herchimer boat launch in Belleville and take a smell test, it is absolutely overwhelming and that crap enters the bay which is used as the source for municipal drinking water. These birds will continue to thrive, however in numbers that the environment can sustain. Please take time to email or call your MPP and urge them to get this legislation passed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:50 am 
Walleye Angler

Oh the tree huggers are busy populating the media outlets with mis-information all focused on engaging the emotional public.
The OFAH need to address this with educational advertising that is factual and emotional to stir up the same people.

Personally I wonder about the high harvesting number. It does seem to insight thoughts killing fields.
The other big point from the emotional folks is that every body of water will be filled with rednecks and shotguns shooting and blasting away at all hours of the day and night.
I am wondering if moving the season away from the cottage (July and August) time might take away the emotional fears?

Before anyone chimes in please consider that emotional debates are often unproductive and typically end in an angry state, something that the treehumpers count on

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:41 am 
Walleye

I doubt many people will hunt them until duck season.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:56 am 
Site Admin

I doubt many will hunt them at all. They should be offering some type of incentives to promote the harvest. I suspect that they might end up offering an incentive but not off the start. They will probably want to first have a look at if anyone is even shooting them or not and if so how many before they fine tune the program

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 am 
Walleye Angler

Thy need to allow you to hunt them while trolling. Especially out on lake o where Knowone around. They always fly right at and over the boat. Shot gun in a rod holder at the ready. Would be awesome.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:02 am 
Walleye Angler

Don't want to see a bunch of dead floating birds, and can't imagine anyone wanting to gather them up and bring them home or the marinas wanting them in their garbage bins.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:12 am 
Walleye

apmikel wrote:
Thy need to allow you to hunt them while trolling. Especially out on lake o where Knowone around. They always fly right at and over the boat. Shot gun in a rod holder at the ready. Would be awesome.

lol that will never happen!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:21 pm 
Guppy

They won't float for long.
The *** hawks will clean them up pronto.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:26 pm 
Walleye Angler

I know it’s just semantics but I don’t like the idea of calling it a hunt. To me, hunting is killing something and using it, for food, hide whatever. Shooting a bird, even a distructive one, then picking it up and dumping it in the garbage doesn’t interest me much. I would rather spend that time fishing or actually hunting.
No need to have an open hunting season, set up some targeted culls on specific lakes or on stretches of the St Lawrence and Iam sure there would be enough volunteers to help out in the cull.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:05 am 
Walleye Angler

Last "Big Cull" was around Prescile with Liona Dombrowski
The "tree humpers" were so enraged that people were actually oiling the eggs that the protesters stopped the event from happening.
As far as "hunting the cormorants " no it will be a removal of the destroyers.
The back lakes will be cleaned up in the first week.
The Great Lakes and large bodies of water will still have a few stragglers around but the arbitration of the islands will be curtailed, for a few years.
With out any alpha predators there has not been any check and balance of the eco system.
Like it or not this issue is a man made one.

My two scents

To all those Cormorant Supporters please show up at the Collins Creek Boat Ramp with your camping gear and you will be given free round trip rides to the Three-Brother's-Islands for a weekend camping trip.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

D-wayne wrote:
Last "Big Cull" was around Prescile with Liona Dombrowski
The "tree humpers" were so enraged that people were actually oiling the eggs that the protesters stopped the event from happening.
As far as "hunting the cormorants " no it will be a removal of the destroyers.
The back lakes will be cleaned up in the first week.
The Great Lakes and large bodies of water will still have a few stragglers around but the arbitration of the islands will be curtailed, for a few years.
With out any alpha predators there has not been any check and balance of the eco system.
Like it or not this issue is a man made one.

My two scents

To all those Cormorant Supporters please show up at the Collins Creek Boat Ramp with your camping gear and you will be given free round trip rides to the Three-Brother's-Islands for a weekend camping trip.

Make sure they get the campsite down wind so they can take in the wonderful smells too.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:48 pm 
Guppy

DanElliot wrote:
I doubt many will hunt them at all. They should be offering some type of incentives to promote the harvest. I suspect that they might end up offering an incentive but not off the start. They will probably want to first have a look at if anyone is even shooting them or not and if so how many before they fine tune the program

the price of shot gun shells nobody going to go out just to blast away you can get them when duck hunting easy enough

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:21 pm 
Walleye

I have cases of steel shot, I will be there the minute the regulations change.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:36 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

D-wayne wrote:

I'll offer rides with ya. lol

I read that if someone was to shoot the allotted 50 per day all year, it would be $11,000 in shells alone.

There have been some really good debates and info on CBC specials. The 1 lady that doesn't support the cull is kinda nutty IMO. She says they use and support a scare method; hitting trees and getting them to nest on the ground to save trees. But she also said it's expensive?

This confuses me and can only think that since sticks aren't costly, maybe it's the hazmat outfits needed to come close enough?!?

Also, there are I think they said on this show, 5 different cormorant flocks / groups in the Kingston Lake O area alone.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:12 am 
Walleye Angler

Does anyone have "Official Information on the Cormorant Cull" ?

I have been asked by a number of anglers and naturalists who are interested in helping to get the balance back into the population.

banner ad
banner ad