Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Mustang Inflatable PFD's
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Good sale on Mustang PFD's

I put the info on the Sell, Buy and Trade form.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

Looks like a great deal, I have a few questions regarding the usage and hoping to get some real world answers. I looked at others at BPS / Cabela's and under some reviews it said poor don't recommend due to going off in the garage or boat storage locker when not in use. I'm wondering how often this happens or if it does and that from a splash while boating. thanks for the info..Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:58 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I have no idea how that would happen. Got to be more to that story, like maybe a kid pulled the cord. I know booze can magically evaporate when they're around.

This is from the Mustang FAQ site,

Do I have to worry about inadvertent inflation of my automatic inflatable life jacket?
Automatic Inflatable PFDs by Mustang are designed so that they have to be immersed in water before the inflation mechanism can be set off. The device may accidentally inflate if the inflator is exposed directly to water.

The inflator is right up inside the closed PFD so would take an immersion amount of water to set it off.

I've used the automatic PDF's for years, rain, wind, splash without issue.

I wouldn't white water raft in one, but for fishing not an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

So I've worn mine in the rain with no issue but when one blew of the dock I couldn't believe how fast it inflated which is a good thing.I think they have to be immersed or get a real dousing to go off. I have a mustang and West Marine Coastal which i believe is made by Onyx and the Onyx is much more comfortable. It is the type of thing I would want to try on in person and also check the date on the arming kit in case it is old stock. Be sure to check how it feels on the back of your neck to be sure you will wear it in hot weather. Think I saw Onyx in Boldricks in Tweed for $189.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:56 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I own a couple and here's my take...

I've been swamped and speared waves while wearing mine coming back from Ducks too many times. I worried it would inflate but was fine.

I wore one when I was fishing in -15 degrees out in boat in late Dec. many years ago during a major cold snap. When I got home, I put it in my fishing room. A short while after and I believe when warming up, it popped the cartridge and inflated on its own. Scared the crap out of me! I ran one way, the dog the other. Lol

I went to west marine and told them what happened and they replaced the cartridge. She told me that was the first she's heard of that and was going to discuss with Mustang. Don't know the results and happy with their service.

I did have 1 inflate in my boat locker but only after i flipped my boat. Unfortunately, it opened the locker and lost almost everything BUT glad to know it did what it was supposed to do.

I still use them but believe if you're NOT wearing them, you need the regular ones on board as well.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

banner ad