Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:27 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Lead core knots
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:31 am 
Site Admin

I am setting up my first leadcore rig. I have a convertor 30 set up with braid backing 10 color micro leadcore and just looking at YouTube vids for connecting the floroleader. For the life of me I can't get my 17lb Floro leader inside the sheath to tie the simple overhand knot do looking for a different one. Any suggestions by experienced leadcore users. Forecast is looking great for Monday for the big Lake btw. PS Go Leafs Go!!!!

Post subject: Re: Lead core knots
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am 
Walleye Catcher

Been a while since i tied mine up, but i recall based on my research is that you pull out about 5" or so of lead from the leadcore so you only have the sheath. This allows you to tie a standard uni to uni i think its called, direct to the flouro without too much trouble. Been a while since i tied it, but it is still strong. Here is what i used that seemed to work pretty good:

thanks jfneron:

"Most of the knots designed to attach lead core to other lines are either hard to tie or they produce a knot so big it catches in the reel guides," says Cartwright. "To tie a fluorocarbon or monofilament leader to lead core, start by removing about three inches of the lead wire from the protective coating. Next take the desired leader material and thread it into lead core coating until the leader bottoms out against the remaining lead wire. At this point simply tie an overhand knot in the lead core near the point where the lead core and leader meet."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:16 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I always used the leader in the sheath and the overhand knot as you mentioned. I looked online too and it looks like the leader won't go in the micro.
Appears they just take out the lead and tie it like braid.
https://tuf-line.com/superline-info/
https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishi ... -leadcore/
I found that the regular lead core was real slippery and the overhand knot could move. I always use a drop of crazy glue. Seemed to fix the problem.
I just use the cheap stuff from the dollar store. I think it's four tubes for a dollar or so. Don't mind throwing them away when they glue shut.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:53 pm 
Guppy

I have used lead core for now many years. IMO the only way that I have effectively tied lead core to any mono/fluro /braid line is to first take about 10-12" worth of the lead core out the sheathing. then use a double uni knot. the double uni knot will tighten itself down on the line then when you pull it together it then tightens down on each other. The knot is tight and will not hang in any of the guides or level line reel. the Fluro leaders I use is about 50-60ft in length. Depending upon the weight 17#/24#/30# lead core you may not get a full 10 colors on a size 30 convetor. Reasoning being is you have to have about 150-200 ft of brain backing minimum( when you let the 10 colors out you need to get all of the colors in the water which means another 50-60 ft of braid) then the 10 color lead core (300 ft) which is bigger than normal diameter then finally the 50-60 leader. By the time you get all that line on you may be over capacity. I personally use the 45 size... gives enough backing so when the fish hit they can both run for a bit without spooling you and ensure all the line gets wet. This set up is called "the widow maker" because you literally have about 400-425 ft out the back of the boat... and pulling a 15# fish in is a work out... hence the nick name. I have had guys on the boat that after the 5th or 6th hit... they don't jump to the pole and look to the next guy ha ha... but it works.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:46 pm 
Walleye

I’ve been using leadcore for a while now. My fav knot use is the Albright knot. I’ll see if I can attach pics from an app that has it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:50 pm 
Walleye

ImageImageImageImage

I only use double uni when lines are close to same diameter and line type like mono to fluro. Leadcore shealth I find to be too thick for it but that makes it better for using the Albright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:24 pm 
Guppy

Never used that knot... never knew it existence. I will try this when I need to re-tie my leader.

thanks!

banner ad