Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:33 am 
Baitfish

Out for lakers yesterday and dropped down my waterwolf camera for the first time. I only had it down there for a short period, and I was amazed at how many fish showed up. Goes to show when you're just not quite sure if you saw a rigger rod bounce from the corner of your eye.... it probably was a strike!

https://youtu.be/prJMSulffoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:40 pm 
Perch

Awesome footage

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:22 pm 
Walleye Master

Great video. It’s amazing how many of them there are down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:34 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

That is really interesting.

Thanks

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:17 pm 
Walleye

Plattinum wrote:
Out for lakers yesterday and dropped down my waterwolf camera for the first time. I only had it down there for a short period, and I was amazed at how many fish showed up. Goes to show when you're just not quite sure if you saw a rigger rod bounce from the corner of your eye.... it probably was a strike!

https://youtu.be/prJMSulffoo

Nice video. I too use water wolf and love it. I gotta ask though, what kinda line release are you using? Pinch pad? If so you might have the line in too far, those fish didn’t hook up. Also the line wasn’t looking super tight? Maybe increase trolling speed to help with hook ups ? Again, nice video! They are very useful tools for learning how to fine tune presentations.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:42 pm 
Baitfish

Yes, scotty releases. I agree with you naturenut. We did well and landed 8 fish in a few hours, but had no idea how many we missed. I learned a lot from that video. I was using my 30lb fluoro salmon leader to tie some laker rigs. They looked great beside the boat, but you can clearly see slack line on the camera. I don't usually go above 2mph for Lakers. I will either add weight to the rig or use lighter line. I always buried the line into the release for lakers thinking it helped the hook set. Guess I better experiment more lol. Also the hook was freshly sharpened before I put it down!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:57 pm 
Walleye

Plattinum wrote:
Yes, scotty releases. I agree with you naturenut. We did well and landed 8 fish in a few hours, but had no idea how many we missed. I learned a lot from that video. I was using my 30lb fluoro salmon leader to tie some laker rigs. They looked great beside the boat, but you can clearly see slack line on the camera. I don't usually go above 2mph for Lakers. I will either add weight to the rig or use lighter line. I always buried the line into the release for lakers thinking it helped the hook set. Guess I better experiment more lol. Also the hook was freshly sharpened before I put it down!

I lost a LOT OF SALMON the same way. Then after watching my footage learned about it and switched my release over to chamberlain and now
any fish hitting is hooked up. I’d highly recommend you don’t use pinch pads at all and if you don’t use a speed and temp probe yet I’d recommend one cuz the surface speed is never the same as lure speed after it’s down there. The wolf’s are highly valuable tools to learn from.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:40 pm 
Baitfish

Thanks for the info! I will check out the chamberlain releases. No speed probe yet. It's on the wish list. For now I use the old school method of watching the angle of my rigger cables. Have you hooked any big kings with the water wolf on? I don't know how safe I feel about its locking mechanism, and fear it may not survive a battle with an angry king.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:06 pm 
Walleye

Plattinum wrote:
Thanks for the info! I will check out the chamberlain releases. No speed probe yet. It's on the wish list. For now I use the old school method of watching the angle of my rigger cables. Have you hooked any big kings with the water wolf on? I don't know how safe I feel about its locking mechanism, and fear it may not survive a battle with an angry king.

Yes, biggest around 24lbs so far. Use a longer leader around 8’ make the fish easier to catch too. I learned lots won’t commit with less than 6’ . You definitely need someone with you to net fish. I’m almost on the bow of my 18’ boat when my friends net. I won’t use the wolf if out solo cuz I either can’t net fish with long leads or I’m catching footage only and possibly losing my cam. Or using short leads and getting footage instead of more fish.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:29 pm 
Baitfish

Great info! Thanks again

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:09 am 
Walleye Catcher

I too use the Scotty and Offshore pinch release, and yes they aren't the best. I used the Roemer release at one time but it goes on the downrigger cable and you have to pull the balls in close to hook up the line and i don't want the balls swinging near my boat and taking a chunk out of my gelcoat.I use the Scotty now with the "sure stop" cable and it has the parachute cord that the release won't clip to. So its a bit of give and take. I use the Wolfe and one of the things i noticed is faster is better than slower, with the current out there there were times my spoons were hanging dead so i started using my X4...they are a must have for anyone that uses a downrigger.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

cool! what size spoons do you guys use? what colors are normally good?

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:01 pm 
Baitfish

Good point Jim Lyon about that style of release on the cable. I would not want the cannonballs swinging into the side of my boat, and having to lean over the side further. I will probably stick with scotty's for now and try to learn from the camera.

Bubblebuster I have experimented with lots of baits now and have caught lakers on a bunch of my salmon spoons (mag and reg size), flys, stickbaits, spin and glos, etc.. They don't seem to be too picky. The most important thing I've found is to use some sort of flasher/dodger in front to draw them in. Greens and glow colours are always my first choice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

Plattinum wrote:
Good point Jim Lyon about that style of release on the cable. I would not want the cannonballs swinging into the side of my boat, and having to lean over the side further. I will probably stick with scotty's for now and try to learn from the camera.

Bubblebuster I have experimented with lots of baits now and have caught lakers on a bunch of my salmon spoons (mag and reg size), flys, stickbaits, spin and glos, etc.. They don't seem to be too picky. The most important thing I've found is to use some sort of flasher/dodger in front to draw them in. Greens and glow colours are always my first choice.

Thanks! So you guys use a flasher with the spoons too? Do you always use a flasher with the spoons?

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:03 pm 
Baitfish

bubblebuster wrote:
Plattinum wrote:

Thanks! So you guys use a flasher with the spoons too? Do you always use a flasher with the spoons?

No prob! Yes for Lakers. I only run meat or flys behind flashers once the salmon show up. I'm no expert but I've experimented a few times when I was first starting with a couple watermelon spoons. One behind a silver flasher and one clean. The one with the flasher caught all the fish. That was enough proof for me. The agitator flashers or gang trolls work well too without adding the whipping action to a spoon that some dodgers and flashers will.

banner ad
banner ad