banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: water levels?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 am 
Site Admin

With all the flooding north and east of us I'm wondering if we will see shoreline flooding like we did a few years ago. Ottawa just announced state of emergency and the muskokas (Bracebridge) has already declared a state of emergency and the ice isnt even out on the main lakes in the area. I was on the bay yesterday and the water level was up but not really high.

Post subject: Re: water levels?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:09 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Water is deeper than usual. Last week I went and launched at Crowe Bay on the Trent and had to back in an extra 25 feet to get the boat off. 2 days ago I was going to launch so on my way home I stopped to check and that same launch was totally under water including the back in area of the ramp. My guess water up 30 -36 inches.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:14 am 
Site Admin

2 years ago when we had the historical high levels the water levels on the bay never really peaked until end of May if my aging memory serves me right

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:11 am 
Walleye Angler

Lake Ontario water levels traditionally peak in late May early June. 2017 saw more than double the normal amounts of spring rainfall.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:11 am 
Walleye

They are backing water up in Lake Ontario to save Montreal again. Some reports suggest Lake Ontario will get as high as 2017 in next few weeks.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:26 am 
Walleye

The flow going out of lake Ontario on April13th was 8680cms and on April 25th the flow was down to 6000cms. Almost a 3000cms cut, that's a lot of water!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:47 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Like I said I was standing on dry land about 5 ft. ahead of the grass bank last week. This is today....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:20 pm 
Walleye Angler

Its up n rising , our place flooded so bad in 2017 we had to rebuild ,,. Its acting the same as it did then ,. It was april 28th when bay breached our break wall with a vengence, . I seen the bay drop about 8 inches then rose about 14 and rushed right to my back door dropped n rose like a flushing toilet

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:49 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Wow! Good luck jkd24!!

Disclaimer: part of this is second hand info from a Friend who spoke with a Ministry Guy. He was saying a couple days ago they expect an additional 10" to 12" before it's over, BUT we do NOT like what we're seeing in the Forecast over the weekend. We already pulled the boards off our own dock, and the frame is nearly underwater regardless of Wind direction.

We have a bad feeling this could get crazy again, and the melt up North is NOT over by any means. If you saw tonight's 6 pm news, places like Bracebridge are in BIG trouble, with lots more rain to come. IF they are holding water back to help Quebec as somebody said, that definitely hurts here.

Hope you get through it with no problems.

Rgds, Wordpecker.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:11 am 
Walleye

For good water level forecasts go to this website:
https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missions ... -Forecast/

Look at the "monthly bulletin" and the "connecting channels forecast". Looks like Lake O will be high again this year (already is) but not quite as bad as 2017.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:15 am 
Walleye

Water is up at least 6" since last Monday, pic shows lower level of my break wall under water, dry last weekend, still 16-18" to go to reach 2017 levels, then the water reached to bottom of top concrete on a calm day, with any waves and "tides" water crested over top level onto lawns, with US Army Corp of Engineers website calling forecasting another +11" it may be close.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:27 am 
Walleye Angler

Idk nothing that can be done but let nature take its course , it was pretty wild seeing i the water drop n rise the way it did 2017, my son and i put down 535 sand bags ,. Ill post some pics later if i get around to it

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:41 am 
Walleye Angler

Park in Tweed was full of water and across the the side street going to the boat launch 2 days ago. It has receded for the last 2 days and no longer across the road. Going by the dates on pictures I took in 2017 this year was a week earlier.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:13 pm 
Walleye

jkd24 wrote:
Idk nothing that can be done but let nature take its course , it was pretty wild seeing i the water drop n rise the way it did 2017, my son and i put down 535 sand bags ,. Ill post some pics later if i get around to it

Nothing can be done? They are cutting the water back from flowing out. The flow today is 5500cms and the dam is capable of passing 10,500cms. The website is https://ijc.org/en/loslrb/watershed/outflow-changes

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:03 pm 
Walleye

Fisher18
It's pure math, greater numbers people are being affected on Ottawa River and Montreal downstream from Cornwall Dam,
add the Quebec factor to the mix, we can look forward to high waters till early July, not much news from south side of lake, so don't expect pressure from US to release water faster.
As JDK said we can talk about, moan about but can't do fiddly about it, just prepare as best as you can.

banner ad
banner ad