banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: water levels?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:20 pm 
Walleye Catcher

hope the water stays up = great fishing and better environment for the walleye and other species.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:28 pm 
Walleye

BWHDeseronto wrote:
Fisher18
It's pure math, greater numbers people are being affected on Ottawa River and Montreal downstream from Cornwall Dam,
add the Quebec factor to the mix, we can look forward to high waters till early July, not much news from south side of lake, so don't expect pressure from US to release water faster.
As JDK said we can talk about, moan about but can't do fiddly about it, just prepare as best as you can.

I have read a few articles from the south side. They wont be happy if lake floods again to save Montreal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

That was one upside anyway,, the fishing was great after..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Trenton launches today (Ty hotsauce for these).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Wonder if that would go down by the weekend, with not much rain (some?)predicted......or is that flooding caused more by the lake rising.(…..or is the Trent and the Moira, still really fast flowing?)dosen't look to turbulent in the photo. 2017 I went to Belliville to try the river with the waders,pretty well unfishable it was so fast....and the general area near the bay was pretty flooded as well. I don't mind driving down to high water ,limited flooding ect, but the raging rivers....would put the damper on this years plan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:44 pm 
Goby

Does anyone have any recent pics or info of the ramps in Belleville or Deseronto? I am coming down from up north (Ottawa Valley), where everything isn't going to well. So I am just wondering about the knock not effects.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:52 pm 
Walleye

Deseronto docks all in, I have seen a few locals launch with out issue today, my boat due to go back in On Thursday, will update if there are problems, my own dock has lost about 10" of clearance since last Monday.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:55 pm 
Walleye

Attachment:
Lake Mus[attachment=0]Muskoka River Boathouse.jpg
koka Boathouse.jpg[/attachment]
Attachment:
Lake Muskoka Boathouse.jpg

Hey Fellas...a big shout out from flood ravaged BRACEBRIDGE.

The Floods of 2017 up here were dubbed the "100 Year" Floods...I simply can't believe how fast 100 Years has flown by!! ...I must have missed something!

I thought I would share a few pics...the 1st is a fellow fisherman's boat house. Each year 10 or so of us with 3 boats venture down to the Bay for our annual Fins & Skins event. That pic was taken a few days ago and the water level has risen another 2 ft...his boat is now pressing up against the ceiling and no way to get it out. Unfortunately the road to his cottage is now closed so he is at Mother Nature's mercy for sure.

The 2nd pic was taken this past weekend out on the Muskoka River and today the top of the Boathouse is barely visible. Their are contractors out on the Lakes with Chain Saws cutting open roof structures to salvage antique and rare wooden boats. Unfortunately the forecast is for 30-40MM of more rain...the problem is in most parts the ground is still frozen and simply cannot absorb the amount of melt coming down from Algonquin Park. They apparently had record snowfall this year. I am sure you have all seen the pictures of the water coming over our iconic Bracebridge Falls...that is not the only thing coming over the falls...complete docks, boathouse covers, wooden chairs, canoes and even small boats and thankfully no people.

We are however grateful and fortunate to have members of our finest (Military) here to assist and sandbag what they can...most homes along the River shed have completely flooded basements and the water is now threatening their main floors. The power outages are not helping matters.
Surrounding Huntsville and Gravenhurst have also now declared a state of emercency...Downtown Huntsville is now flooded. To see more pics you can google Muskoka Flood Images.

WE ARE ALL SAFE So Far. Lessons were learned in 2017 and people were smart enough to heed the early warnings.

Here's hoping for a drought in the next few weeks but I caution everyone..."This water has to go somewhere and usually finds it way into Lake Ontario. We'll keep what we can but unfortunately we will have to give you some.

Looking forward to our spring adventure in the Bay of Quinte.

Steve
WalleyeWon

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

A buddy of mine is one of those contractors out there cutting off the tops of boathouses to save the vintage/rare/antique boats inside. Hoping the weatherman is wrong on the forecast. Thanks for posting that and keep em coming

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

George St at the boat launch in Belleville is closed due to flooding

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:17 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Walleyeone wrote:
George St at the boat launch in Belleville is closed due to flooding

I put in there last night no problem. It wasn't closed... did they close it today ?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

They closed George Street this afternoon about 3 Pm, road was closed north of the parking lot

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:26 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Can't add much more to this - tragic to see that beautiful boathouse almost totally submerged!

Our Daughter was down here yesterday. Her home is on Lake Miskwabi, between Haliburton and Bancroft, and only the first 30' or so along the Shoreline is ICE FREE as of Tuesday! NOT that far North of us Folks, so there's still lots melting to be done, and TONS of water still to come down.

We feel awful for the Folks in low lying areas down here, and pray the lousy rain Forecasts are wrong!

Difficult to imagine how those poor Folks with valuable boats trapped against ceilings must feel.

We're okay here, on The County's North Shore, thanks to experience from 2017. It's still gonna hurt some, but at least we're ready for The Hit this time.

Rgds, Wordpecker

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:54 am 
Walleye

Attachment:
Submerged Park Bracebridge Falls.jpg
Attachment:
Home collapese into River.jpg

A few more Picture updates from Bracebridge.

As you can see the water is still flowing strong over the Bracebridge Falls in the 1st Photo taken yesterday but the good news is 2 fold: We didn't get the rain that was predicted and it appears the upper River Sheds have in fact crested.

The 2nd photo is heartbreaking and speaks for itself. Unfortunately all shorelines have been compromised with water saturation and a number of large trees and their root structures are collapsing into the river.

Dan...no doubt your buddy is staying very busy, I have heard the fellas from the Military are trying to assist as well.

Stay safe down there boys...be well prepared.

Steve
WalleyeWon

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Walleyewon,
My buddy actually lives on the river just by the the falls. If you had panned out on your shot, his is the second house next to the park seen in your shot. They are pretty lucky because of the elevation that they dont have any buildings flooded but they might lose their dock and shoreline breakwall.

banner ad