Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:46 am 
Walleye Master

Last year I moved my Humminbird 788 up to the front of the boat and bought the proper transducer for the trolling motor but it seems like when I'm in 10 feet or less of water the unit doesn't read properly. The screen jumps around and the depths are reading way out of whack. My unit I have on the console reads perfectly fine in the same water depth. Any suggestions??

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:30 pm 
Perch

Two things you can try.

An electrical noise filter for the positive power cable and another on for the tanducer cable. Garmin usually provides them for there new units I'll try and post a picture of it tomorrow if I have time and not sure where to buy one on them. You used to be able to find the electric noise filters at radio shack possibly the source now.

Sometimes similar units on dash and bow using same frequencies will interfere with each other as two transducers are too close to each other and only option there is to use units on different frequencies too eliminate interference.

Try shutting dash unit off and see if bow still has problems.

Maybe post this on radio world section of site as well to see if they jump in.

Good luck with it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:22 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Walleye,

Try restoring unit to default settings in the setup menu.

Confirm you have the correct transducer configured for the unit. The transducer code should be on a tag at the transducer connector.

Initially rely on auto settings until you get a depth reading.

Ensure your transducer cable is physically separated from the trolling motor power cabling.

Good Luck
BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

Also may be as simple as make sure the excess transducer cable is not coiled up. It should be payed out length ways back and forth. Loops create interference. When I bought my boat brand new the fish finder never worked 100%. So when I up graded to new unit I noticed it was in a big coil. I now use it as my bow mount hooked into my motor guide with built in transducer and it works fine. They both work fine with cable installed properly.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:37 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Walleye,

Another thing to consider. Look up ferrite chokes on amazon. It is a 3 to 4” ferrite ring. Should be able to find one for 10 bucks. At the connector end of your transducer you put 6 or seven raps through choke to reduce noise that might be picked up by your trolling motor. Search, ferrite choke to reduce transducer noise.

BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:40 pm 
Walleye Master

Sorry for the late response guys, but thanks for the info. I was out last weekend for the first time this year and the unit was working good in about 8-10 FOW but started to act up a bit any shallower. I think what the problem is (not really a problem) is when I have the trolling motor down too low in shallower water the transducer is obviously lower which is making my depth lower. I raised the trolling motor up a bit and seems to be fine. I'm not really expecting to mark much of anything in 7FOW or less anyways.

banner ad
banner ad