Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Rapala Rippin’ Raps
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 am 
Walleye

Has anyone ever tried using Rapala Rippin’ Raps? I’ve been reading a lot of good reviews and watching some videos and just wanted to get some more “hands-on” opinions. Was just wondering if there were any specific techniques or methods used, or different conditions to use them in. I purchased a few different colors in size 6 and will be trying them out next week when we come to the BOQ. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Fish em shallow

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 am 
Walleye Angler

Ive caught on them before , only thing i dont like about them is there useless around weeds, i mainly use them in the channel where theres no to little weeds . I really snap it back on the retreive ,, ive caught a few eaters nothing crazy numbers or size wise...

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:15 pm 
Walleye

I used to drop one and vertically jig when I came across a few isolated marks on the electronics (in the channels, as mentioned above). I've caught a few good ones like that. The great thing about them is that they sink quickly and are precise when using them to "snipe" with electronics. I have tried casting and walking them back to the boat but I have lost many this way because the front hooks are easy to snag on anything. I use them for ice fishing and I always cut the front hooks off now. As far as technique, I think the important part is a quick snap followed by a free fall. I usually do a few quick snap/free falls followed by a pause on the bottom. Punching the bottom has been productive as well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:01 pm 
Walleye

DarrenEm wrote:
I used to drop one and vertically jig when I came across a few isolated marks on the electronics (in the channels, as mentioned above). I've caught a few good ones like that. The great thing about them is that they sink quickly and are precise when using them to "snipe" with electronics. I have tried casting and walking them back to the boat but I have lost many this way because the front hooks are easy to snag on anything. I use them for ice fishing and I always cut the front hooks off now. As far as technique, I think the important part is a quick snap followed by a free fall. I usually do a few quick snap/free falls followed by a pause on the bottom. Punching the bottom has been productive as well.

Rather than fix my post, I'll add to it. for some reason I read Jigging Raps! So disregard the front hook business lol.
Rippin' Raps are my absolute favorite in the winter. As for open water, they are great to cast or vertically jig. I've used them as described above but actually had decent results RIPPING them through weeds also. They're not perfect but strong braid main line helps that happen for sure. For open water, I believe I use #6 mostly. For ice I use #5s and UL #4s. I like the perch pattern but also have a few of the firetiger and UVs. Caught fish on all of them. I find them extremely versatile because you can pretty much do anything with them. From vertically jig, to cast and steady retrieve, lift/pause, etc.

My bad about the first post!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:29 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the input everyone!!

banner ad
banner ad