Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: murray canal?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:33 pm 
Walleye Fry

hey, i am supposed to be heading down to the bay this sunday. a friend of mine and my dads has suggested we try near the murray canal as he has heard good things. just curious if anyone has fished there? or what the scoop is thanks

Post subject: Re: murray canal?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 pm 
Walleye

My advice is to stay away from anywhere near the mouth of either end of the canal. I back onto the canal and there is always a fairly heavy current. It might be capped over but i assure u you would not walk across it. Maybe a couple hundred yrds out in front of either the brighton or bay end might be fine but check as u go........... just my 2 cents

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 pm 
Walleye Fry

lol, sorry now that i read my post i realize how it reads. that is the general area of the bay. i dont have any more specifics than that unfortunately. but i do appreciate your advice. i have absolutely no intention of going anywhere near the mouth. just a general area and wondering if anyone has been fishing there and having success. thanks and sorry about the misunderstanding.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:42 pm 
Walleye

No prob...........just hate to see someone not local go for a swim not knowing the area.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:55 pm 
Walleye

My buddy and I run the canal at least once a year and have never picked up anything on the finder. It has all the appearance of a dead wasteland. I've never heard of eyes (or anything else for that matter) running it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

In spring or early summer, I have seen people fishing there, in the canal, we stopped once and asked what they were catching, and they had a small walleye, but I forget now what else they had.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:12 am 
Walleye Master

Jubes Walleye wrote:
My advice is to stay away from anywhere near the mouth of either end of the canal. I back onto the canal and there is always a fairly heavy current. It might be capped over but i assure u you would not walk across it. Maybe a couple hundred yrds out in front of either the brighton or bay end might be fine but check as u go........... just my 2 cents

True for sure !!!!!

Stay away from the canal. At times there is a very strong current in the canal. One day it will be capped over and the next day wide open. Even the ends of the canal will be safe one day and the a few days later open water.

There are walleye in the canal in transient. Back in the 80s during a murder investigation, I talked to the OPP diver recovery team and they said there were thousands of eyes in the canal but very passive. Any time now the Indian Island area at Trenton should turn on.

Good luck but be safe.
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:25 pm 
Walleye Fry

thanks very much fellas, i can only assume that is where our friend is talking about. i appreciate your concern and by the way i wrote my initial query i would have responded the same way. like i said that is the general area i was told. my thinking is that it would be out in the bay away from the canal. but thanks a bunch and hope we arent wasting our time as i dont get too many opportunities to get out. thanks

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:30 pm 
Goby

for the last 2 weeks the walleye have been hitting like crazy at the mouth of the canal biggest one i caught there was 5.5 lbs

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:25 am 
Guppy

There are windows where the walleye are hitting in the canal. If you find that window you'll have success dragging a buck tailed jig along bottom tipped with a worm. I've NEVER caught a fish from boat in the canal, only from shore. As others mentioned, there's a very significant current anytime of year so be careful.

banner ad
banner ad