Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:53 am 
Walleye

It seems every year I am catching more and bigger sheepshead. Last night we caught 16 and one walleye. Last week I caught a 14.75 pound fish, it hit a tail dancer under the bay bridge. Research has shown these fish consume invasive mussels, however when they are hitting crank baits it is obvious they also consume fish. We keep the walleye but release the sheepshead. There is a very limited harvest. These fish are great fun to catch however it may be time to look at a reduction in the population as part of the overall management of the Quinte fishery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:09 am 
Jumbo Perch

scout wrote:
It seems every year I am catching more and bigger sheepshead. Last night we caught 16 and one walleye. Last week I caught a 14.75 pound fish, it hit a tail dancer under the bay bridge. Research has shown these fish consume invasive mussels, however when they are hitting crank baits it is obvious they also consume fish. We keep the walleye but release the sheepshead. There is a very limited harvest. These fish are great fun to catch however it may be time to look at a reduction in the population as part of the overall management of the Quinte fishery.

I feel the same, BOQ, Grand River etc....more and more sheephead every year!. Looks like we aren't the only ones.....http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/archive/_do ... 20Drum.pdf

Maybe next time keep one or two with the walleye to try.

I'm going to give this a go....

Ingredients:

4 sheephead/drum fillets
2 tablespoons of white wine
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup of cilantro leaves
½ teaspoon green peppercorns
Instructions and Cooking Directions for Broiled Drum:

Position your oven rack about 4 inches from the heat source. Then preheat the broiler.

Put all of the ingredients together into a blender, except for the fish fillets, and mix until well blended.

Place the drum fish fillets in a baking pan and pour the peppercorn wine sauce over them. Broil for about 10 minutes or until done by testing for flakiness with a fork.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:44 pm 
Baitfish

You won't believe this, but one time I had to keep one because it swallowed my spinner and would not survive. I fillet it and deep fried it in Fish Crisp, just like I do my walleye, and it tasted horrible!! Not wanting to throw it out and waste a fish, I put it in the fridge for work the next day, as I was sure I would find someone who would eat it. So the next day, I put it in the microwave at work at lunch, and a couple of guys took a piece. They couldn't believe how great it was and came back for more, along with a few other guys. So I tried another piece to see if I missed something the night before, and I couldn't believe it, but it was awesome!! So now if I keep one, I deep fry it and throw it in the fridge. Microwave it the next day, and enjoy! I don't know if it's the fridge that stiffens up the meat, but it sure is tasty!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:56 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Got our 1st of the year yesterday, about 10 lbs, put up a good scrap and put back.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:54 pm 
Walleye Catcher

We keep waiting for somebody to suggest the "Timeless Recipe" for Carp or Sheephead.

Very similar to the one above, but...

--------------------------------------
"I'm going to give this a go....

Ingredients:

4 sheephead/drum fillets
2 tablespoons of white wine
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup of cilantro leaves
½ teaspoon green peppercorns
Instructions and Cooking Directions for Broiled Drum etc..."

----------------------------------------

....you mount the ingredients on a 1/4 inch Plywood Board, cook for three days, toss the Ingredients, and eat The Board.~

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:32 am 
Walleye

There are far better walleye waters within 2 km of the Bay bridge with far less Drum!

I usually get 1 or 2 sheepshead every time I go trolling. Sometimes I get more then 2, sometimes I get less. I don't think we need a cull personally. This year I have caught less sheepshead then normal. Last year I couldn't keep them off my line.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:18 am 
Walleye Angler

At least there something to catch when the walleye arent having it .. when ever i catch one im waiting for a large pike to surface ,, being 98% sure its a sheep head,, i fished beside a guy one year n he was convinced it was a walleye,, i told him not fighting like that ,, its a sheephead, he wasnt to happy when it surfaced .. he was ready to tell me where to go lmao

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:36 pm 
Walleye Fry

We tried a sheepshead(freshwater drum) many years ago and it was horrible. Really surprised that refrigerating it would make it that much better but I've never tried that so enjoy!!!

banner ad
banner ad