Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shout out to pro tackle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

Wanted to try the drop shot for smallies not being familiar with it I stopped by pro tackle n stacey set me up.. Got on the water at 1030 had 2 nice ones in the boat by 1130.. Fished in 15ft of water n both hit like a truck .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:21 am 
Walleye

jkd24 wrote:
Wanted to try the drop shot for smallies not being familiar with it I stopped by pro tackle n stacey set me up.. Got on the water at 1030 had 2 nice ones in the boat by 1130.. Fished in 15ft of water n both hit like a truck .

BQ smallies? Love them but rarely catch them. I'm at 4 smallies in 3 years vs. triple digit largemouths

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:45 am 
Walleye Catcher

The Bay used to be full of them, back in the late 80's. You could catch 15-20 an outing back then just trolling for walleye. Not so much anymore now that the crayfish are gone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

Ive caught a handfull in the last 5 years while throwing bucktails for walleye or spinner baits for large mouth, losing dam near every one of them when they launch. Was talking to an older lad whos done alot of bass fishing over the years n was told the drop shot is almost a garuntee for smallies if you know where to look that is. Surprised myself honestly when i got onto them,, I beleive no other fish in the bay holds a candle to the fight of a small mouth. Goin to really target them from now on ,,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 am 
Walleye Catcher

Awesome, I am glad it worked out for you. They are are alot of fun when you get into them.

Thanks again for the support!

Stacy
Pro Tackle

(2 Km north of Hwy #401 up Hwy #37)

Specializing in Musky, Walleye, Bass and Pike tackle
Fishing Charters

Local phone: 613-968-4111
Toll Free:1-888-442-7456

Check our online Catalog at www.protacklefishing.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:25 am 
Walleye

jkd24 wrote:
Ive caught a handfull in the last 5 years while throwing bucktails for walleye or spinner baits for large mouth, losing dam near every one of them when they launch. Was talking to an older lad whos done alot of bass fishing over the years n was told the drop shot is almost a garuntee for smallies if you know where to look that is. Surprised myself honestly when i got onto them,, I beleive no other fish in the bay holds a candle to the fight of a small mouth. Goin to really target them from now on ,,

yeah, that's kind of all I do when targetting smallies, other than rolling a squarebill across rocky shore areas.

dropshot ftw.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:25 am 
Walleye Angler

biff wrote:
The Bay used to be full of them, back in the late 80's. You could catch 15-20 an outing back then just trolling for walleye. Not so much anymore now that the crayfish are gone

Crayfish are Gone...

Please elaborate on this as is the first that I have seen any mention of crawfish issues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:57 am 
Walleye Catcher

Back in the 80's bay used to be full of Crayfish. You could find them under every rock, but not so much anymore. That used to be the smallmouths food source as well as Walleye would eat them. You could cut open either species and find crayfish shells in both of them. not sure why they are not around anymore, but they are gone, or at least not very many. Which i assume is why you dont see many smallmouths in the bay. Mind you i am sure there are a few around, but you would catch them trolling for walleye in that time frame.

I mentioned this to the MNR at one of the shows i went to but they didn't have any comment or info. I also read something somewhere that the smallmouths have switched their food source to Goby opposed to crayfish, and that they generally are deeper (lake ontario).

Near the bay bridge back in the 80's you could stick a worm on and pull out 3 or 4 5lbers in the hole.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:01 am 
Walleye Angler

I will be heading down to visit Stacey mid September to see what I can get with the Prize vouchers I received from a Rideau Series Tournament.
See everyone soon.
D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:05 am 
Walleye

biff wrote:
smallmouths have switched their food source to Goby opposed to crayfish, and that they generally are deeper (lake ontario).

the goby is the reason the smallies have done so well on erie, lake o and the river

I don't believe depth is the reason they're (goby) not here...they feed primarily on zebra mussels which the bay doesn't seem to be riddled with. Makes sense. Rocky bottom holds the mussels which attract the goby.

I've actually never caught a goby but I believe you're supposed to feed them to seagulls if you do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

Funny you mention the goby i caught one couple weeks ago hooked it through the head off a buck tail n landed a 4lb walleye while drifting.. we've caught/catch gobys once in a while down this way