Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:24 pm 
Goby

I would like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post here.
I had given up on fishing forums because of the crap that was being spewed on another forum, but then I found this one and have been veiwing for a couple of months and everyone seems to be so helpful.

I hope this is the right time and place for this post.

I am looking for advice on where to begin on Saturday.
The past 2 years we started on Hay Bay and only managed 1 fish each year.

We live north of Port Perry so I thought maybe this year I would try Trenton just to shorten the drive a little, but I am not sure so just looking for any advice you may be willing to share.

I am not looking for specific locations or hot spots (although they would be appreciated) just a good place to begin from. We have an 18' with a 140hp 4 stroke so if I have to travel a distance from the launch that is OK.

Thanks in advance for your help. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:39 pm 
Baitfish

Welcome to Quinte Fishing Bill ,

If you are talking about opening sat , I would imagine that Trenton is one of the busiest places to be .

I would try to keep away from the crowds if thats possible .

Good Luck

A Leaf and Hip Fan .

Post subject: opening day
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Welcome to the board, great question to start off with, I have a feeling this
could be an interesting thread :) Our gang fishes out of Picton and we cocentrate our efforts in and around the harbour out to the cement plant. Our success has varied over the years. I think your biggest asset may be the big motor, keep working different areas untill you find them. Jim is right, Trenton can be a zoo. Also click on the hotspots map on the top of this home page, it is awesome. And finally don't forget to use a Smithwick Rogue, in a rusty clown pattern. Mike (a board member) gave me that tip once and I have been putting fish in the boat ever since.

Good luck out there.

Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:10 pm 
Walleye

Althought I live in Trenton and fish from it all summer and fall, I avoid this area opening weekend. If the weather is good it can be about as much fun as fishing in the WalMart parking lot at times.

Lots of fish are caught here that weekend but if you don't want to fish in crowds consider Telegraph Narrows, launching at Foster's Fish camp is a breeze.

take the grandkids fishin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:42 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Welcome to Quitefishing.com Bill.

Opening day is always a problem........ Are the fish in the shallows or out in the deep water???????

Hay Bay always produces fish around Ram IS - at least that what I've been told, We haven't fished there on opening day, we've fished it a day or two later and done well.

Many people will be fishing in Long Reach, all the way from the Ferry to Desronto and they'll catch fish - all you have to do is find em!!!!!!!!

If the weather is crappy, we'll be fishing Long Reach otherwise we may go find some monsters......

Bets of luck on the 7th.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

Post subject: opening day
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey Super Dad, thats twice you've mentioned fishing out past the ferry.
I have never ventured out that way on the opener but something tells me I should consider it.

Maybe you and Laker John are getting a whiff of walleye on your way out for those browns? Do tell do tell.

Tight Lines.

Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:01 pm 
Walleye

I will be starting out from Sandy Cove just south of Mass point. Will be trolling parallel to ship wreck until I hit the huge drop off (goes from 12 to 21 ft real quickly). Will probably do a zig zag pattern along that dropoff until I hit Mass Point. Then will use the trolling motor and do some jigging in the narrows, then troll towards Pt. Anne. If I don't get fish after all that then it wasn't meant to be and the boat will be sitting at the dock for a week or so. Have done very well coming out from Sandy Cove and trolling in that 12-15 ft depth. Got limits within a half an hour and all great eaters(13-15in). Always used a chrome CC shad with blue on the top and orange on the bottom. Got an 11.5 lber last year on Dec 13 at the same spot with the same lure. Hope this helps.
Good Luck to all!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:52 pm 
Baitfish

say what you want about trenton but that was where the winner came from last year.................... it does get crazy there what do you expect its the opener..............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

This is a great example of how great this board is and the people who participate in it. Where else would you find people willing to share this information. As for me, I wil be trolling in the big lake on the US side, looking for the big ones. Planer boards over deep water with lures running in the top 10 feet, probably will have a deep husky jerk in the firetiger pattern, definetely one on with the blue and silver..and then maybe a rainbow trout pattern or a blue and orange..and then just keep my fingers crossed. After two weeks of that I plan on moving the boat to Alex Bay for permanent dockage for the first time and try and catch some of the eyes in the St Lawrence that everyone has been keeping secret. Good luck to all..and yes..will definetely being making a trip your way during the summer and the week before Labor Day. Great board and a great bunch of guys. Good Luck to all.e e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:03 am 
Walleye

Hay Bay was mentioned earlier and we have always had great luck trolling around there. A few other hotspots in that area have always been the mouth of the Napanee River right in front of Desoronto and Shermans Point.

Good Luck where ever you end up.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:53 pm 
Goby

Hi Bill:

Like you I am in a outsider point of view. I have read this board many time's just to see whats happening in the BOQ. I have only fished this area 3 times and only caught 1 fish. For all the locals to this area, your information is absolutly great.

I was going to go to Belleville area to fish, Is this place going to be a zoo.

Its just me this year as my friends are not as addictied to fishing as I am :-) I find sometimes when you are the one launching the boat etc by yourself you take a little longer and well some people are just rude in this situation. So if you see a lone guy with a ledgend boat say Hi :-)

Any help you can provide on where to launch in Bellville area for the opener would be most helpfull. Fishing tips for this area will be most helpfull

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:42 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hi Lexington,
The boat ramps in Belleville may be really busy. If you want go accross the bay bridge and launch at Massassaga point conservation area it shouldn't be as busy. Good luck to everyone this weekend.
Sheldon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:58 am 
Goby

Thanks for the information, figure I will launch around 4 or 5 am if its busy I will head over there,

Once on the water its not too bad, worse comes to worse I just nap in the boat until the ramp is queit :-)

Keep safe out there all who read this. It's fishing not the 401 in rush hour RELAX and have fun.

Thanks

banner ad