Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Ice at potters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:52 pm 
Goby

Hi All, I hear that there are people out at Potters, and was looking to see if anyone can tell me how much ice there is.

Not looking for amy guarantees, or a public posting, as I understand how people feel about talking about ice thickness. Just looking to know if it is worth taking my gear and my spud out when I visit my folks for christmas. Never gotten to fish the early ice, and later ice seems to see me just drowning minnows.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ice at potters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:44 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Might be best to wait until after this weekends deep freeze temperatures. There have been guys at Potters for a while now. They are the crazy ones. Those guys keep to themselves because they would be criticized for being out on 2-3 inches of ice. BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:53 pm 
Goby

Thanks Batman!

Won't be out around Quinte until Christmas day, but figured if theres no ice now, it likely wouldn't be safe enough for me by then. Coming out from Toronto, and the wife would be less than impressed if I filled the car with gear I didnt use...

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:06 am 
Walleye

To get a rough idea of ice cover go to the coastwatch site. It gives you an idea of where there is ice vs open water. Unfortunately, there is
no good images on days with cloud cover. The image for Dec 12 showed ice in western B o Q with open water in big bay. The cold snap on Dec 19, 20 should make the water a little stiffer.

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/region_map.html

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:26 pm 
Guppy

New to the form but I've been reading the posts here for a couple years now. I'm hearing about 3" of ice around potters so hopefully tonight tomorrow will add a bit of girth to it. On ice or not I'm coming up Friday to get a better idea ;)

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:59 pm 
Walleye Catcher

The current low temps already created a tempting opportunity, based on what we saw today.

Coming back over the Bay Bridge from Belleville this morning, we spotted what appeared to be a small Hut about 500 yards West of the Bridge, out in deeper water.

We're NOT saying it's SAFE Ice yet - still too early in our opinion - but somebody was definitely out there by 11 am this morning. We'd want to see a LOT more Folks assembled in that Area. Potters would still be a much safer bet at this point.

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:53 pm 
Walleye

gunnin wrote:
New to the form but I've been reading the posts here for a couple years now. I'm hearing about 3" of ice around potters so hopefully tonight tomorrow will add a bit of girth to it. On ice or not I'm coming up Friday to get a better idea ;)

Would love to hear your findings after you visit friday

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:32 pm 
Baitfish

I was out at Potter's last night and first thing this morning...fished from a few hundred feet offshore all the way out to just shy of the green can. Each hole I drilled I was going through about 4 inches of ice. Please realize that this is what I encountered on my route and my route only, it is not a definitive description of all the ice out there.

Stay safe and remember your "S"s...Survival Suit, Spikes and Spud.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:07 pm 
Walleye

Trent River Rat wrote:
I was out at Potter's last night and first thing this morning...fished from a few hundred feet offshore all the way out to just shy of the green can. Each hole I drilled I was going through about 4 inches of ice. Please realize that this is what I encountered on my route and my route only, it is not a definitive description of all the ice out there.

Thanks for the report ... did you have any luck out there

Stay safe and remember your "S"s...Survival Suit, Spikes and Spud.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:08 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the report ... did you have any luck out there

(I messed up the quote in the post above some how)

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:10 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Wow! Coming South across The Bay Bridge this morning (Friday) slightly before Noon, we saw HUTS on the ice just about anywhere you looked. It appears things have ramped up BIG time.

Be careful Folks, it's STILL early.

Hugs, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:24 pm 
Goby

Got out by chance this evening for about half an hour.

4" of ice where we were in 16 feet of water. Didnt mark anything, but learning the flasher, so might have just not had it set right. No hits on a variety of buck shots.

Tomorrow morning we will try again.

The usual caveat, just because we had 4" doesnt mean it is safe everywhere. As everyone suggests, be safe, be prepared, use your spud.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:56 am 
Guppy

Yep, like so e if the post above I was on a constant 4" of solid ice with about 1" on top being snow packed. Great time out even this I didn't catch any walleye, had a few solid marks in the morning but I think they're were jumbos. Landed some eater perch but that was about it. I didn't see much in the way of structure or weeds even closer to shore. May have to get out by Anderson's or try else where. Regardless, I wasnt at work fo great time!!!!!

Gunnin

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:15 am 
Goby

Got out this morning, lines in the water by 715. Caught 1 tiny walleye with a line sitting deadsticked. No weeds or other structure, but still about 4" of ice.

No one seemed go be catching anything. Cold morning but still good to be out.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:11 pm 
Walleye

If anyone's looking for a partner im headed out solo tomorrow... new to the area wouldn't mind meeting some more people with the same interest as myself... cheers

banner ad
banner ad