banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:47 pm 
Walleye

I'm pretty new to this ice fishing thing and I need some help and I'm gonna just ask some general questions and see if I get some people to bite...

1. How many marks on your flasher per hour or so would you consider a decent amount before you pack it in or move somewhere? I was out this morning...I had probably around 15 good marks in 2 hours. Is that decent? Or should I be finding places where I am seeing marks more consistently?

2. Two days ago...I drilled holes where I thought walleye would be, only to land on a school of tiny perch. I was debating with myself to move the whole time but really thought to myself that my spot was good and it would eventually pay off. It didn't. I was into perch for the next 2 hours. Should I have moved? Will Walleye move into places that perch hang out in or should I have just taken that as a sign and moved on?

3. How do you get these walleye to bite? That's a bit more general...but I've watched videos and for some reason...I'm not very good at getting them to commit to biting. I landed a few today but not nearly the amount that I thought I should have. Some would storm up like they were going to smash it...only to just stop right at it. I would raise some up from 19 feet all the way up to 10ish feet...and then turn back. I threw everything at them I thought....rattle baits, swedish pimples, buckshot rattles, jiggin raps, jiggin spoons, sidewinders and more! These quinte walleye seem way more finicky than walleye I see people catching on youtube. haha

Thats it for now.
If anyone wants to come out with me and show me how its done...I would love that. I've got chairs, a heater, a hut, flasher...I'll provide everything if someone wants to show me how to do this. Just shoot me a pm.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:45 pm 
Walleye Angler

Just gotta keep at it ,, move around a bit if your not having any luck . And pay attention to times ur fishing dusk and dawn are best. Talk to other guys while out ,, and remember its easy to go days without catching anything on the bay, happens to everyone. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:03 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

watching the camera sometimes I have had tons of perch around, seen them scatter and then in the camera lens walleye show up.
Keep trying, funnest part is learning and figuring it out yourself.

teppy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Handler, to answer your questions.

1. You should have at least 50 good Walleye come in per hour, otherwise I’d pack up and go home.
2. If you’re just catching perch for two hours, stick it out for at least two more hours, maybe three, then go home.
3. If you have Walleyes coming in and they don’t commit, connect to the inter-web for more tips on jigging up Walleyes.

BATMAN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:04 pm 
Walleye

Lol Batman. Savage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

I find the walleye are a little deeper than the small perch during the day. They'll roam shallower flats at night.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:47 pm 
Walleye

BATMAN wrote:
Handler, to answer your questions.

1. You should have at least 50 good Walleye come in per hour, otherwise I’d pack up and go home.
2. If you’re just catching perch for two hours, stick it out for at least two more hours, maybe three, then go home.
3. If you have Walleyes coming in and they don’t commit, connect to the inter-web for more tips on jigging up Walleyes.

BATMAN

It's cause I am a habs fan isn't it? haha!

I guess I'll have to read more articles on the inter-web for jigging up walleyes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:49 pm 
Walleye Master

BATMAN is correct but I'll give you a few hints because this forum is where I learned how to fish the area....

Be safe

Early ice is good

8-14 feet is what I'm getting them in.... find the weed edges in 8-10ft

Stay with your best lure and make sure hooks are sharp...

If you loose one coming up the hole, get your ass in there and get it .

Good luck,
Randy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:15 pm 
Baitfish

Get navionics for your phone sit between some saddles iv gotten them in 13ft and as deep as around 25ft...... 50 marks on your flasher within an hr good luck on that I might get 10 or 15 depending on the day and location sometimes more...try and run and gun some days I move every 20 mins (when i had a one man hut) once u start to get them it all comes into play