Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:18 pm 
Walleye

Hey!

So I know two common methods I see for getting baits down are using leadcore and downriggers but I'm just curious if anyone out there uses really heavy, (like 6oz plus) weights on their clips.

I've seen one video where a guy fishes in 100feet of water using a 1lb weight attached to his snap weight clip...

I'm just curious to what are the advantages/disadvantages of using heavy weights are and also if anyone on this board has done so.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:48 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hey bud,

Sometimes watching those youtube videos is the easiest way to get a visual presentation on different weight systems
We have instock at Pro Tackle... Torpedo weights up to 8oz., Off shore Weight kits, Tadpoles, Dipsys, Weighted Steel, Wire and Downrigger weights. I have charts in the store that help explain the diving curves of each weight system.

Some methods will be better then others...all depends on what kind of depths and speed you desire.

Stacy
Pro Tackle

(2 Km north of Hwy #401 up Hwy #37)

Specializing in Musky, Walleye, Bass and Pike tackle
Fishing Charters

Local phone: 613-968-4111
Toll Free:1-888-442-7456

Check our online Catalog at www.protacklefishing.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:45 am 
Walleye

Pro Tackle wrote:
Hey bud,

Sometimes watching those youtube videos is the easiest way to get a visual presentation on different weight systems
We have instock at Pro Tackle... Torpedo weights up to 8oz., Off shore Weight kits, Tadpoles, Dipsys, Weighted Steel, Wire and Downrigger weights. I have charts in the store that help explain the diving curves of each weight system.

Some methods will be better then others...all depends on what kind of depths and speed you desire.

Stacy
Pro Tackle

Thanks Stacy! I'll stop in sometime soon then!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 am 
Walleye Wisdom

If your fishing on the bottom, heavy weights will snag. You can use light line on the weight so it breaks off saving your lure, but lead is expensive.

In the spring, I use dipsy's for lake trout and they work very well. The dipsy can be adjusted to swim off to the side of the boat which I believe helps.

There's a learning curve for a dipsy so best use heavier line. If you catch bottom you can usually turn around and recover it.

I've tried lead line for a couple of years but haven't caught anything to speak of. I've talked to guy's who use it and they say it works so I'm sure that it's my lack of fishing skill.

I did use weights for walleye but got away from it because of barotrauma. I didn't know about it and unintentionally killed walleye by fishing too deep. Not a problem if everything is in the slot size and your keeping it.

There's some mention on the web about fizzing fish by sticking a needle in their swim bladder to release air. I've never done it so don't know if or how it works.

Personally, if I was getting stabbed with large needle, I'd want the guy doing it to have some sort of diploma.

Here's a couple of articles on the subject.

https://www.echopress.com/sports/outdoo ... eep-waters

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/does-fizzi ... save-them/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:16 pm 
Walleye

Roblin wrote:
If your fishing on the bottom, heavy weights will snag. You can use light line on the weight so it breaks off saving your lure, but lead is expensive.

In the spring, I use dipsy's for lake trout and they work very well. The dipsy can be adjusted to swim off to the side of the boat which I believe helps.

There's a learning curve for a dipsy so best use heavier line. If you catch bottom you can usually turn around and recover it.

I've tried lead line for a couple of years but haven't caught anything to speak of. I've talked to guy's who use it and they say it works so I'm sure that it's my lack of fishing skill.

I did use weights for walleye but got away from it because of barotrauma. I didn't know about it and unintentionally killed walleye by fishing too deep. Not a problem if everything is in the slot size and your keeping it.

There's some mention on the web about fizzing fish by sticking a needle in their swim bladder to release air. I've never done it so don't know if or how it works.

Personally, if I was getting stabbed with large needle, I'd want the guy doing it to have some sort of diploma.

Here's a couple of articles on the subject.

https://www.echopress.com/sports/outdoo ... eep-waters

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/does-fizzi ... save-them/

Thanks a lot Roblin!
I've thought about picking up some dipsy's as well. I guess it's time to visit pro tackle.

Or go with one of the many experts on this site I see slaying them ;)