Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ice Report Jan 20th
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 am 
Walleye

Cabin fever was setting in so I headed for the bay from the Kingston end and bought some minnows at the do drop in.
Checked out Huff's. Complete snow cover and nobody out, no tracks. Walked and spudded for about 30 meters form the shore to an obvious transition from bumpy to smoother ice. The smooth ice was about 3 inches thick and that was nowhere near the deep water where people fish. Way too thin for me thank you.
Drove on down to Sherman's. Same deal. Complete snow cover and nobody out Some tracks went out about 30 meters and there were holes that looked like 3.5 inches of ice.
There were pop up shelters visible off the south shore near the church but they weren't far off shore.

Nice sunny day fora drive so I headed to Potter's. There were about 10 groups out and not that far off shore. Ice was about 4 inches where I drilled. There were pop up shelters but no permanent huts. There were no ATVS and no snowmobiles. Snow drifts were about a foot deep in places (not good for making ice thicker!). Overall, ice is dicey.
Thin ice with thick snow on top is never good.

Post subject: Re: Ice Report Jan 20th
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:10 am 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks for thew report, warmer weather and snow on it's way isn't going to help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:51 pm 
Goby

I think I was following you on that tour pdubya, next time I’ll say hi! It was certainly a nice day for a drive, but just like you I ended up at potters and aside from a few fat perch and a couple nice looking marks at sunset, there’s nothing else for me to report. Ice below the snow was at least nice clear black where I was. Hopefully the moon phase on the weekend brings more luck.

Cheers everyone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:30 am 
Walleye

Thanks for the info at huffs. All I can say is we have next year, as this year is a washout. With warmer weather , you can say good bye to that 3 inches. As for potter's if you like perch go for it, walleye wait for spring. Fishing derby should be cancelled as well, not worth a life for free advertising.

banner ad