Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trenton Ice Report
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:32 pm 
Minnow

Hello All,

Thought I would share some info. I walked off from the south shore across from airforce base in Trenton and had 6-7 inches on shore on Friday night, I walked approx 400 yds and was down to 3 inches (had hoped to walk to channel which was another 400 yds). Wouldn't be so bad if I was not sitting on a snow machine. First off I will tell you I know this part of the bay and the ice only changes about an inch or so until you get to the middle.. Well I was wrong. At least this year. First time I have seen such a difference. There is a huge amount of current. So I guess I am saying, it seems last weeks rain may have really got the trent and Murray moving so the current is really fast in the channel and ice thinner than you may think. Today I went further west close to Odderdonks, and was sitting on approximately 6 inches. So I guess I am saying there is some safe ice, but please bring all safety equipment and check as you go. As far as fishing, saw 4 walleye tonight, one was a nice big one that came in 3 times and I could see him on both my camera and Vex which followed me up twice but no finish. My defence will be there was a East wind and I never catch with a East wind. Tomorrow is West, so hoping for a change of fortunes.

Tight lines.
Shawn

Post subject: Re: Trenton Ice Report
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:55 am 
Minnow

Thanks for the report Fish Stalker. That’s the area I like to fish. Have a ways to travel to get there and any reports are appreciated! Hoping to be there asap!
Thanks!
Doug

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:16 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Great report and pretty much what I had expected with that rain I’m still kind of new to ice fishing so experienced members info is so valuable!! I’m closest to Trenton Bay as well and have a ridiculously busy work schedule so I tend to pick close convenient areas to fish!! Thanks again I will be out this week!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:04 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Good info. Thanks. Stay safe all!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:18 pm 
Walleye Fry

As other folks noted, great post for those of us who like that area but cannot check ourselves. You may have saved someone a dip or worse. Tks again.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:36 pm 
Minnow

One other thing I was going to share.. the water is incredibly turbid. I was shocked, I have a camera and usually can see 5-7 feet pretty clear in quinte but it was hard to see 3 feet, could not see lure in middle of hut at all. I am assuming this is due to the current stirring up the bottom. The bay is more like a river than a lake right now. Caught a 2.5 pounder last night along with a couple little guys and this morning caught a 1.5 pounder and four 3/4 pound walleye and a few perch. Saw a few big boys but no takers. very slow overall. Caught all walleye on small Jig used with rattle bait on other line,, all walleye caught hit jig though many attracted to rattle bait. Figured rattle bait might call them in. Water was so dirty did not have much to lose.

Shawn

banner ad
banner ad